Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a Tundra from a buddy of mine. It's a 2011 TRD 4x4 DC.

It's still sitting in my garage as I have yet to get the thing insured.

What are you guys paying on average? Which auto insurance company is cheapest to insure a Tundra with (in your opinion)?

I'm checking out 2011 Toyota Tundra Cost Of Ownership - Motor Trend Magazine and I see it's gonna be around $1200/year. I'm looking to get a 6 month policy, so I'm hoping to get something in the $500 range. I'm gonna pay it all up front. You think it's possible? I'm a 27 year old male with clean driving record.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I have had good luck with progressive. Have no idea what it will cost you, too many variables. Check their web site.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just switched to Geico from USAA. With USAA I was paying $460, with Geico I am paying $283. No brainer. I am 33, married with kids, have a couple of no fault claims on my record.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just switched to Geico from USAA. With USAA I was paying $460, with Geico I am paying $283. No brainer. I am 33, married with kids, have a couple of no fault claims on my record.
thanks guys. adding progressive, geico, and usaa to list of places to get a quote from

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Been comparing rates from auto insurance companies all night, and finally about to head to bed.

Here's my quotes
Allstate - $131/month
Esurance - $109/month
GEICO - $117/month
State Farm - $126/month
Progressive - $119/month

don't know why esurance is so low, I'll have to look into them

going off of Axle's suggestion above, http://www.usaa.com quoted me at $99/month and I got all excited, but then I realized they only do business with military families :(

the cheapest i found for my Tundra was actually from a small company called 4autoinsurancequote... i'm not sure if i trust them case they seem a bit sketchy, but they quoted me at $69/month, which was nearly $20 less than any other company. but, it seems too good to be true so i might stay away

As of now, it's looking like esurance in the winner, but will have to triple check on them before i sign up

·
Registered
351 Posts
do you have insurance currently with any other vehicles? If so ask them for a quote, a lot of times the current insurer will give you the best rate if you let them know you're shopping around. If not, then USAA is good. It doesn't hurt to find a broker who deals with several companies to see what the best rate they can give you. I go with Grange, based out of Seattle. I'm 26, married with children, nothing on my record and I pay $560 every six months for two cars, the tundra on full coverage and the honda on liability. I shopped around and I found out my current insurer gave me the best price.

·
Registered
45 Posts
To get USAA you have to have some sort of military affiliation. My dad is a Vietnam Vet and we get access that way. I don't know if they have changed the rules in the last 5 years of so, but it used to be if you had any sort of family member in any kind of military service, be it guard, reserve, active duty etc, could be a parent, sibling, child, uncle or aunt or even a grandparent, you could get in. Be SUPER weary of those small insurance companies. I got really burned by a local company a few years back when I went for that super low rate. They couldn't pay out the claim I had to make and I had to threaten legal action to get them to do anything.
I am going to check e-surance. Since they are underwritten by allstate, that would be a solid route. EDIT: Just ran an esurance quote, they are almost double my geico rate.... at $140 month for my tundra and the wife's new Altima.... I wonder why the discrepancy between companies. I got a good laugh from state farm, they wanted over $200 a month for the two cars. I told the lady that emailed me the following day that they were the highest quote of all I had received. She replied that she knew that the rates were typically higher than other companies and that they made up for it with excellent customer service. I replied, the only way I would consider her 'service' worth the extra money is if they washed my truck once a week. I didn't hear back from her....wonder what happened to that amazing service she claimed.:td:

·
Registered
351 Posts
I had no issues with grange, My old focus was hit in a parking lot, my insurance paid for the damages upfront so I didn't have to wait for the other persons insurance to get my car in the shop. My insurance company ended up getting reimbursed by the person at fault's insurance company. I'm super happy with my small insurance company. I've been with them since I was 18 and my grandparents and my parents for over 20 years now.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I have usaa but it's not cheap. I've always stayed with them because I really trust them, but I think it's time to shop around. I think I'll get a quote from geico. Good timing on this thread!

Oh and yes you have to have some family connection to the military to get usaa. Im not sure what the rules are though as i was active duty myself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have all my vehicles insured through USAA. The more vehicles insured the greater discount you get. I also have checking and savings accounts with them which save me even more. My 2006 4runner 4x4 is around $80 a month and my 72 FJ40 is around $40. Full coverage on both. When I had the tundra insured through them it was around $80 as well. They may be a little higher in price sometimes than others but their customer service is great. I'll never change.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
118 Posts
i went its esurance. its about $900 a year. in nj

·
Registered
102 Posts
FWIW, the cheapest insurance isn't always the best deal. When you need it the the couple hundred annual dollars will be the least of your concerns. I've known people with cheap broker acquired insurance and when it came to making a claim it was a nightmare. Your mileage may vary and different states have different regulation.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I had a guy hit me and he also had usaa. They called me the next day and asked where I wanted to have it fixed and I told the the local Toyota dealership's collision center. They told me to drop it off there and they also had me a four door f150 the same day for a rental. It was completely painless. This story is not unique about usaa so I've always been willing to pay more for a company I trust. We also have a personal property insurance with them for my wife's jewelry and for my guns and it is very cheap peace of mind.

·
Registered
45 Posts
We're doing all our banking with USAA too. I was sad to leave, they were always a stellar company. But the thought of tossing them an extra grand every year for less coverage than Geico was a deal breaker. The USAA agent told me that she'd be switching too.
So for all intents and purposes I guess it depends on too many factors to answer OP's orginal question. You're gonna have to do your own leg (finger) work and find out what works for your particular situation.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
We're doing all our banking with USAA too. I was sad to leave, they were always a stellar company. But the thought of tossing them an extra grand every year for less coverage than Geico was a deal breaker. The USAA agent told me that she'd be switching too.
So for all intents and purposes I guess it depends on too many factors to answer OP's orginal question. You're gonna have to do your own leg (finger) work and find out what works for your particular situation.
yeah your earlier post is what made me say I need to shop around. With insurance its easy to just be lazy and keep paying it every year. I really do need to do my due diligence and see if I'm paying too much. When I got home owners insurance usaa was way higher than the other quotes. And when I got out of the air force I lost my military discount too.

·
Registered
328 Posts
What you pay for insurance depends on what state you're in, where you live and your driving record. Thus, what I pay means little. One thing I've seen over the years is "lowball" quotes. Make sure any quote you get is based on ALL your information, is firm and in writing. If, after all that, you sign on the dotted line only to discover you've got to come up with more money, consider telling us who did it to you, and maybe a complaint to your state insurance commissioner.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.