Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday on my home from work in my 2003 Tundra AC 3.4L. Read owner's manual (as well as some of the other forums) and it said that gas cap may be loose. Went out and it was loose so tigthened it back on but light is still on this morning. In 1-gen Tundra's does this also double as the 'Maint Req' light?

BTW, I've heard that places like Auto Zone will run a check that displays the error code for FREE - is this still the case?

If this has been discussed before, my apologies but right now, the search engine is not working on IE or Firefox. :(

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, yes- autozone still does it, peep boy's does it to,i bet alot of auto parts stores are doing it now, for sales reasons.
most likely it was the gas cap, & it need's to be reset.
or it could also be the oil change light ,that comes on at 3,000 miles. that can be reset yourself.
just another cheap reason to buy a scanguage.
it resets codes & tell's you the code, besides many other things.
you can find out what the code usual is, on many web site's.
instead of going to the dealership & have them tell you some BS.
at least you will have the infomation about the code.
good, luck,
gorilla

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I have a 3.4 as well, get the code and then we will go from there. It could be just about anything and before we start guessing, get the code. I originally got my own code reader but upgraded to a Scanguage which reads and resets codes plus all the information like mpg, mph, rpms, etc. Get the scangauge!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an update here . . . the gas cap was loose but tightening it didn't help so I ended up taking it to the local Toyota dealer today since my business doesn't give me the time I would like to have to DIY. Code was P0031 02 sensor (they are not cheap - at least at the dealer :eek:). And since I've been reading the other threads WRT timing belts and the fact that it has 96K, I had them do the belt and water pump since it had a small leak. Should be good to go for another 100K with regular maint. :D
They also "recommended" valve cover gaskets . . . anyone DIY on the gaskets? Scale 1-10, 10 being the hardiest. BTW, as I mentioned it's a 3.4L V6.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts