Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my check engine light just won't turn off. It was originally going off because of the codes P0135 and P0161. I replaced both of those 02 sensors and it still wouldn't go off after I drove it like 40 miles. I then disconnected the battery for like 10 minutes and after a drive it came back on. I plugged it in to my friend's code reader and it came with no codes or pending codes. I checked the 02 sensors on the reader and all four were working. I cleared the light through the reader and it still came back on. Any ideas how I can break up with this darn light?

·
Retired Contributor
2010 Tundra/2015 4 Runner/2007 Prius
5,942 Posts
If this is a V8
P0135 is for BANK 1 Sensor 1, this is the drivers side front 02 sensor IN FRONT OF THE CAT CONVERTER.
P0161 is for Bank 2 Sensor 2, this is the passenger side 02 sensor AFTER THE CAT CONVERTER.

Which 2 did you change?
Did you use Denso parts? or Bosch?
Just curious what year Tundra, since it doesnt say and you dont have it posted in your garage. I was using a 2002 Tundra as an example and a V8 engine 4.7L

·
Registered
756 Posts
put it back on the reader after the light comes back on. What type of obdII code reader is it? If the light is coming back on there should be a record of it. sorry I couldn't really help much, I would be wondering what is going on myself. Did you check the gas cap? That has been an issue for some in the past. Something with the cap not seating in the filler neck correctly. Something to look at but that had a code too. Good luck, don't forget the electric tape band aid. Just place this miracle over whatever light is on and presto all fixed. j/k...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha I'm considering pulling out the light bulb. But Mustang you are exactly right it is a 2002 Tundra V8. I changed the sensor by the block on the driver side, and the passenger one in the back close to the first of two mufflers. I'm using an Actron Auto Scanner Plus CP9180. I'm using Bosch for both sensors. I hooked the scanner back up a few minutes ago and the same codes came out again. I'm so confused.

·
Retired Contributor
2010 Tundra/2015 4 Runner/2007 Prius
5,942 Posts
Well, My experience with B sensors is they SUCK. I know others will disagree, but Thats My opinion. Toyota sensors can be bought for the same amount or cheaper (sometimes), than any aftermarket sensor.
It sounds like you changed the correct ones
Drivers front (near block)
Passenger rear (near muffler)

Well either you have 2 bad sensors (wouldn't suprise me) and would be the first place I started, or you have a harness issue or an ECU issue.
Were those sensors plug and play or did you have to wire them in?
PM sent

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Put me down as someone who doesn't disagree. I've changed my sensors
with OEM and have been able to get them cheap on amazon.com. There
are other sites also that sell them. It seems more often than not when
someone here replaces their sensors and still get a trouble code for them it
ends up they used an aftermarket sensor, particularly Bosch.

John

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Bosch caused me problems too ... had to return the Bosch. Replaced with Denso and no problems since.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I replaced 2 o2 sensors with Bosch and it has been fine (so far).
I also didn't manually reset my check engine light. I drove it until the computer reset itself. My Haynes book said it was better to do it that way.
I had to drive it more than 40 miles though. So far so good.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I put the toyota sensors today, I'm gonna keep driving it and see what happens. By the end of tomorrow I should know.

·
Registered
160 Posts
^for what yr? 40 miles ain't that much either.
Yes, 40 miles isn't much that's why it took a little more than that for mine to reset itself.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Can anyone post the OEM part number for the sensors? I just got the p0161 code for the rear passanger side one. I cleared it, but it will come back. I need to smog my 02 in November. I need to buy the right sensor.

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts