Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rut Ro.

I got the tell tale Check Engine light coming on after a few minutes of driving.

I'm hoping it is an O2 sensor. I've got 87K on my truck and the extended warranty for the O2's is good up to 90K. I had one replaced already. Don't know if this gawd-awful heat wave has anything to do with it or not.

So I'm crossing my fingers, toes, and various sundry other flexible appendages that this won't cost me anything.

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I am wondering if Ethanol is causing problems but i have been told that this issue seemed pronounced with a certain discount chain store and addatives they were using in their gasoline formula? Read an article recently that E20 was going to be replacing the 10% ethanol that we all use and sure hope that is not the case!

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
I am wondering if Ethanol is causing problems but i have been told that this issue seemed pronounced with a certain discount chain store and addatives they were using in their gasoline formula? Read an article recently that E20 was going to be replacing the 10% ethanol that we all use and sure hope that is not the case!
It's happening here! Just got through working on my sister's 2000 Expedition because it was throwing codes (1151, 1131). Tried everything and couldn't figure it out. Took it to the local Ford dealer to get scanned while running. They tested the gas (from a Top Tier supplier) and it was 17%. After doing some checking, alot of the stations around here that used to have 10% stickers on their pumps now have 15 to 20% stickers. Ford told me all the older vehicles would be throwing codes like crazy and not to worry about it. Run it and watch it.

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
We still have a couple of Shell stations that carry REAL gas. That's where I fill up now.

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the Tundra is going to the dealership after work tomorrow to have it looked at. We'll see.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
Hog, you should be able to find ethanol free gas at a marina for your boat motor.

As far as 'older cars' having trouble with ethanol, that should be quite a bit older than a 2K.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Good Luck with the warranty work!
My owners manual says Toyota allows the use of oxygenated blendedd gasolines where the oxygenate content is up to 10% ethanol or 15% MTBE. If you use gasohol in your Toyota besure it has an octane rating no lower than 87. Here in NM at our altitude they do not even have 87 octane? the ssay 86 is plenty due to our engines will not have a complete burn with 87 octane so that is why we get 86 octane? Gues i will read some on the subject but i would think this will have adverse affect on the engines and cost us money somehow!:beatsme:
PS finding marina gas in NM only takes 2 hours to get there and 2 hours to get back home!:p We also have NO ethanol free gas available unless you drive 40 miles one way and the 40 miles back and it's not worth it unless you were dragging the boat every fillup! I would be surprised if they were not already using it now here and just think the 10% stickers were ok? Think i will hit the gas buddy forum and see what's going on here!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
PS finding marina gas in NM only takes 2 hours to get there and 2 hours to get back home!:p We also have NO ethanol free gas available unless you drive 40 miles one way and the 40 miles back and it's not worth it unless you were dragging the boat every fillup!
Ah, the joys of being a boat owner:cool:

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I have been reading a few articles on E10,15 & 20 and it seems that most of the newer under ground storgae tanks that were installed in the last 10 to 15 years will not be safe for storage of the newer ethanol mixtures and i guess they are using them anyway? I strongly feel that the fuel sysytems of our truck not modified to run these mixtures will have countless issues and repair bills from the use of E15 & E20 and i wonder if we could get a stimulus check for the damage done to our trucks?:)

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Hey SD, sorry to hear about the nanny light coming on. I hope it's simple, like a oil reminder issue or some maint. minder and not something else.
Yea, this ethanol is a joke. I was wondering if some of the other TSers that get higher milage don't have ethanol in their gas? Just a thought. I guess that's one way to line the special interest corn industry pockets and make sure we are good little comsumers because it won't be long until we gotta spend some more on more maint.. Maybe one day I will buy a frame and crate motor and just build my own with a carbarator.:heh:

·
Registered
544 Posts
That will make my Mercury outboard very unhappy!! Not good news that it's being used NOW!!:td:
lol I hope there isn't much crapanol in my local socal gas stations or My Suzuki, Honda, and Nissan outboards are gonna be unhappy too :beatsme:

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well.

I just got a call from the Dealership. There were no stored codes indicating a O2 sensor problem, but there was a code for a glitch with the air bag. :wtf:

I didn't know the air bags were monitored by the Check Engine system. :confused:

Oh, and while it was in it got the Frame Rust Recall inspection. All is good. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts