Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Light came on and bought a code reader. The code that came up is P00442- Evaporitive Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)

Any clues?

·
Registered
561 Posts
check the hoses connected to the charcoal canister in the engine bay. i had that code pop up and it was a host that came loose. however, it could also be your fuel filler neck, gas cap, or something else.

·
Registered
189 Posts
95% of the time at my work it is a loose gas cap or an aftermarket one. I finally had a Chevy the other day with a bad gas cap because the gasket had some cracks in it. Before that I have never had to replace a factory gas cap before so if the gasket looks good it was probably left a little loose.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had that on two tundras, and both times it was the fuel filler neck (the tube from your gas cap down to the tank). Out of warranty Toyota wanted 450 to replace. The other items it can be, besides what is listed above, is the 02 sensors. Good luck.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it is an aftermarket locking gas cap. But I know its on good. Ill try finding my stock one and rule that out.

Whats the deal with the gas filler neck? Is it rubber? Or gold plated platinum? 450 is suspect is to have them install it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Because they only had the complete assembly in stock not just the gasket. Go Figure :rolleyes:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Had my check engine light come on a couple of weeks ago. All the gauges were reading correctly so I thought maybe an exhaust or o2 sensor problem, so time to put the warranty to work. Problem, gas cap was not on properly. Talk about feeling stupid.....

·
Registered
189 Posts
It happens to the best of us. Stupid is the person that pulls out of the gas station with the gas door still open and the gas cap swinging around by the plastic strap. :clown:

Welcome from a fellow Louisianian!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
It happens to the best of us. Stupid is the person that pulls out of the gas station with the gas door still open and the gas cap swinging around by the plastic strap. :clown:

Welcome from a fellow Louisianian!
i saw that once! boy was it funny. and the dude stopped, saw what had happened and just took off with the handle still in!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I just changed my spark plugs and forgot to reconnect one connector. Therefore, the engine was idling rough and the check engine light came on. I reconnected the connector, the engine now runs smooth, but the check engine light remains on. Is there a way to reset it?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Nevermind. Started the truck for the fourth time, light went out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts