Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my truck has 58,998 miles on it.....i went to the store today and noticed that my check engine light decided to turn on....after turning the truck off and restarting it numerous times, it remained on. i have not had the truck in the shop for anything since an oil change 2k miles ago. Anyone know why it would all of a sudden turn on? what could be the problem?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
did you gas up recently? that and a hose under the hood would be my first guess.

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
so my truck has 58,998 miles on it.....i went to the store today and noticed that my check engine light decided to turn on....after turning the truck off and restarting it numerous times, it remained on. i have not had the truck in the shop for anything since an oil change 2k miles ago. Anyone know why it would all of a sudden turn on? what could be the problem?
Out here ya can run into Checker/Kroger auto, Autoshack or similar. they will plug the scanner in and produce the code.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just took my 04 DC to the dealer today. I changed the air filter and the check engine light went on. Truck was running OK but light stayed on. I unhooked the battery for 20 minutes to reset the computer but the light went back on about 5 miles later. Dealer ran the code and it turned out to be one of the O2 sensors. They said the filter change timing was coincidence. Thak goodness for warranty.:)

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have the code read before you do anything dude.
well autozone read the code to me for free and said it was something that dealt with the EVAP or EVAC something like that....he said that was the fuel line, and parts of the fuel system. The device he hooked up to the truck said i was throwing 5 codes. well i guess im off to the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Not sure about that many codes, but one of them could just be your fuel cap not tightened. All I would have suggested for just one code is tighten it down a few more clicks, have them clear the code, and give it a little time to see if it comes back.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Could also just be an 02 sensor. I had one bad 02 sensor and threw 8 codes. All my EVAP codes...all 02 sensors and my MAF sensor.

Needless to say the average Joe and Advanced Auto couldn't help me. They couldn't even erase them. My truck was stuck on LIMP mode for 2 weeks before I could get it into a shop.

If anybody doesn't know what LIMP mode is, it limits the rpms to 3000 and runs incredibly rich. My truck stunk!!! It was rather embarrassing and scary

Took it to a good shop and after a lot of hard work from the tech he found the source. For a rather large fee :mad:

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Start with the fuel cap for sure. They do need replacing every so often.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just took my 04 DC to the dealer today. I changed the air filter and the check engine light went on. Truck was running OK but light stayed on. I unhooked the battery for 20 minutes to reset the computer but the light went back on about 5 miles later. Dealer ran the code and it turned out to be one of the O2 sensors. They said the filter change timing was coincidence. Thak goodness for warranty.:)
UPDATE:

There is a TSB out for this. I didn't get the number because I was busy when the dealer called but they are replacing all the O2 sensors under warranty. Also having them take care of the ball joint recall at the same time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
UPDATE:

There is a TSB out for this. I didn't get the number because I was busy when the dealer called but they are replacing all the O2 sensors under warranty. Also having them take care of the ball joint recall at the same time.

Onetun00 how you still under the 3/36? I got about 40000 so I doubt that they would change mine, but let me know how it goes for you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If the part were defective and they issued a recall you might expect that they will agree to bear some if not all of the burden even though your warranty period may have expired.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Onetun00 how you still under the 3/36? I got about 40000 so I doubt that they would change mine, but let me know how it goes for you.

I didn't have time to get into it when he first called. The truck is supposed to be done today so when I pick it up I'll get the details. It seemed though, the warranty was extended just for this TSB.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
taking the truck to the dealer today in about an hour or two. i tried the gas cap and its on fine. BTW, my gas cap is an aftermarket locking one however ive had it for about two months and no problems so its not that. I think either a sensor is bad or i have a hole in the hose somewhere.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I worked on my g/f tacoma and checked the air filter, the next day her engine light was on, check for codes and it was EVAP, so i made sure the gas cap was tight and clear code, it came up again , to make the story short , when i checked the air filter , the evap hose that is connected to the air box fell off between the air box and it was trapped making the engine light come on.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I worked on my g/f tacoma and checked the air filter, the next day her engine light was on, check for codes and it was EVAP, so i made sure the gas cap was tight and clear code, it came up again , to make the story short , when i checked the air filter , the evap hose that is connected to the air box fell off between the air box and it was trapped making the engine light come on.:rolleyes:
the dealership said that the neck filler tube is shot and needs replaced, and i have to put the stock gas cap back on. They want 220 bucks for labor and parts to fix everything.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
the dealership said that the neck filler tube is shot and needs replaced, and i have to put the stock gas cap back on. They want 220 bucks for labor and parts to fix everything.
That's not too bad, but you could def do it yourself. The filler neck comes off relatively easy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I didn't have time to get into it when he first called. The truck is supposed to be done today so when I pick it up I'll get the details. It seemed though, the warranty was extended just for this TSB.
They replaced two O2 sensors under TSB EG012-05. Can tell the difference in throttle response. The computer was all out of whack.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My light came on two weeks ago... Had the code checked and my mechanic reset the warning light, saying the evap recovery system or something was to blame... something about a seal or a leak. I checked on this site and heard some mention about the gas cap. The gasket on my gas cap was as hard as a rock when I poked at it with my fingernail. I went to the local dealership and bought a new gas cap.

I inspected the new one and saw the gasket was all soft and thought it would solve my problem. I installed it and thought if I cycled through a series of On/Offs that the engine light would reset itself. It did not.

I got all pissed-off and grumpy and drove it around for four days. It finally just turned itself off when I started up after work.

Be patient. The light will reset... it might just take a bit longer....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts