Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum and joined in search for an answer to my question.
I own 2006RAV4 for 2.5yrs. Wonderful car.
This last storm I was driving all over the town and I guess got too arrogant. Broke a small filter box on the driver side. At that time got "Check engine", "VSC" and "4WD" lights all came on.
Went to the dealership. Mechanic said that the broken part needs to be replaced first but driving like this was OK. I didn't get anything done there. Instead ordered the part from the online vendor and installed in in 15 min in my friend's shop. One bolt, 5 clips and two hoses to attach.
That didn't help the problem with lights. All 3 are still on. The "funny" part is that now the car has 36,500 miles on it and therefore is out of warranty. So, if I go back to the dealership they attempt to charge for the diagnostics. I will try to argue that I had this problem before the warranty had expired and therefore they might give me at least the diagnostics free. I hope... anyway.
My question is, If I suspect that this broken and now replaced part is the only problem, would it make sense to try to just reset the computer hoping that it will be OK after that? IF so, how do I reset it? All help is appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
296 Posts
The VSC and 4wd lights are just on because the CEL is on. You car is basically in a limp home/ lowest denominator mode. You'll have to go to an Autozone/checker/pepboys/advance auto/kragen or whatever and get the CEL code read, before anyone here will be able to help you with this. They usually do this for free. The dealer will probably charge a 75 dollar diagnostic fee.

Your powertrain is longer than 3/36, but if this is caused by your driving the car (likely) the warranty isn't going to cover it no matter what you hit. As in, you hit a rock/curb/snowbank/stump and it damages something on your car, than that is not a warranty item. The warranty only covers defective parts and workmanship.

Best of luck with this, let us know. FYI, I thought someone around here, or ToyotaNation, was making a skidplate for that item. Kinda lost track, bought a used Highlander.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts