Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put new exhaust on my 02 4.7, im pretty set on running true duals with cherrybomb extreme mufflers and removing the resonator. But i havent decided if i want to remove the cats or what size pipe i want to run. Im not worried about performance loss, i just want to know what everyone thinks will sound best.

·
Registered
232 Posts
That will sound like godzilla throwing schoolbuses full of screaming children into a wood chipper. Have fun with your fix it tickets!

·
Registered
366 Posts
i ran the extreme one in dual out wasnt to loud to me... if you just want loud cut out the resonator and put n a Y for the dual look... i am running true duals now with cherry bomb glass packs, nice deep sound but not nearly as loud as the straights were.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, i thought about glasspacks for a while, but my buddies got them on an 03 4.7 so im trying not to sound exactly the same. but theres no law requiring cats in alabama so im not worried about a ticket

·
Registered
133 Posts
Where did you find your information stating there is no law regarding cats? Last I checked, it was Federal law. You cannot tamper with the emission system legally.

Edit: Even if there is not an emission test in your area, it does not make it legal or ethical.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well ill say it this way, they dont check for cats in alabama, but if you dont have a muffler then youll get written up. and yesw i know this for a fact becuawse i work will all of the local law enforcement agencies, and ive talked with a bunch of cops about it

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
they dont check for cats in alabama, but if you dont have a muffler then youll get written up.

Azz backwards if you ask me. :beatsme:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah its pretty backwards but its how they do it. but really i would just like to know what poeple think would make my exhaust sound the best, so if you have any input id love to hear it

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I also am running a glasspack and no resonator. low tone not too loud. is the extreme muffler supposed to be louder than a glasspack? I guess probably shorter? I have a fairly long something around 22" glasspack. Cant say as i'd touch the cats. not so much the law side of things but more afraid of throwing codes? may be wrong on that though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
im not sure if the extreme muffler is necessarily louder than a glasspack, but i jus t like the sound better(it doesnt have the same pop)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hey Jsham, If you get this done, tell me how it sounds. I have jbas headers ran into an x-pipe out the x-pipe into two flowmater reg. 40 series(maybe even delta flows) then over the back axle out to the sides. no cats and 2-1/4 pipe all the way back. I like the sound of it, but its to quiet. I also have a pretty bad rasp kinda sound from 2500 to 4000rpms. Im thinking about high flow cats, two cherry bomb extreme mufflers off of the xpipe, then 2-1/2 pipe with 3 inch tips ran on both side of the spare tire and stop it right there next to it on both sides of the spare.

I just don't wanna do it all for nothing and have the same sound again. I just dont know how loud it would be once I put high flow cats on it and two cherry bomb extremes.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
That will sound like godzilla throwing schoolbuses full of screaming children into a wood chipper. Have fun with your fix it tickets!
I'm not allowed to rep you for that at the moment, but something needed to be said...that was epic :D.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I have the Cherry Bomb Pro muffler, still with the stock cat and resonator.
I must say it is a lot louder than stock, but sounds good. It isn't overly loud. Someday I want to try taking the resonator out and seeing how that will sound.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I ran my truck two and a half years with just the cats and the resonator, no muffler. Off the resonator I had 2-1/2 pipe ran into a 3 inch chrome 25 inch stack that stoped right over the axle with the 45 degree turn. It came off a big Ford tractor. Wasnt stock but someone put it on the tractor. It sounded so good and deep. Everywhere I went people commented on how good it sounded for a toyota and how deep it sounded. It did have a heck of a drone but i didnt mind. The only reason I got rid of it all was because my manifolds cracked so I put jba's on and got new exhaust from header back. I really want that old sound back :( I know this is crazy but I was thinking about getting two new oem resonators shaving the numbers off of them, painting them, and telling the inspection dealers that there mufflers. Here in west virginia where I live they just say " do you have mufflers?" " yes sir I do" then they slap a sticker on. Most are to lazy to look. Same with brakes. They wont take the tire off to inspect the brakes or rotors. They get a little mirror stick it threw your wheel, and just check to make sure you have pad still left. Back brakes dont grind when you hit the brake, then your find back there as well. Its pretty crazy. Its probably because even the inspection people's cars that they drive to work looks like they been in a battle.

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
I want to put new exhaust on my 02 4.7, im pretty set on running true duals with cherrybomb extreme mufflers and removing the resonator. But i havent decided if i want to remove the cats or what size pipe i want to run. Im not worried about performance loss, i just want to know what everyone thinks will sound best.

Good luck making that truck run without cats. Now if you are going to replace them with some dummy sensor then it might work. Seems like a lot of work, headache, and money for something that will have minimal effect on your sound.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Dont waste your time taking your cats off. Youll end up spending 100 buck on the o2 simulator like I did, then 50 miles of driving your going to be wanting to spend another $200 bucks to buy cats to put right back on.

Now id you still want to, Im running right now, and have been for a while, the o2 simulator that urdusa.com sells. Pretty easy to hook up, and the truck runs just like it always did.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts