Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Chevy/Toyota 6 lug wheels really the same?

167K views 20 replies 20 participants last post by  jake.graham0515 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've seen several aftermarket wheel sets for sale with the claim that they will fit Chevy or Toyota. Is this true or is there a big "BUT" or "IF" somewhere I should know about? Thanks.

#3 ·
Main difference is center bore size. Toyota's need a larger center bore, many Chevy rims won't fit a Toyota for the simple reason the center bore on the wheel is too small.
/Mike

• Helpful
Reactions: Admin
#6 ·
Center bore does not matter if the rims are lug centric...I've run Toyota bore and Dana bore, the Ivan Stewart rims are a different bore than the OEM alloys IIRC, and so on...since our trucks use ADD, and a FWD style hub, there's nothing sticking out of the upright that a wheel needs to clear except the centering cone and that will depend on what wheel you're using. Same in the rear...if it's lug centric, it doesn't matter as long as the pattern is correct.

As long as the pattern is 6 on 5.5" (or metric measurement 6 on 139.7), AND the valley between the mating surface and shell is deep enough to clear our calipers (roughly 3/4"), it will fit. Which OEM it was made for does not matter.

Most stamped steel rims DON'T fit because the center isn't dished enough to clear the caliper, but most aluminum rims DO fit. If you get lug-centric you don't have to deal with the centering cone, frankly it's a lot easier than the hub-centric OEM setup.

I have been using rims which are "technically" for Chevy bolt pattern for the last...oh...seven years, and recently got another set with the same spec. Ya don't think Toyota planned it that way, do ya ;)?

-Sean

#14 ·
Center bore does not matter if the rims are lug centric...I've run Toyota bore and Dana bore, the Ivan Stewart rims are a different bore than the OEM alloys IIRC, and so on...since our trucks use ADD, and a FWD style hub, there's nothing sticking out of the upright that a wheel needs to clear except the centering cone and that will depend on what wheel you're using. Same in the rear...if it's lug centric, it doesn't matter as long as the pattern is correct.

As long as the pattern is 6 on 5.5" (or metric measurement 6 on 139.7), AND the valley between the mating surface and shell is deep enough to clear our calipers (roughly 3/4"), it will fit. Which OEM it was made for does not matter.

Most stamped steel rims DON'T fit because the center isn't dished enough to clear the caliper, but most aluminum rims DO fit. If you get lug-centric you don't have to deal with the centering cone, frankly it's a lot easier than the hub-centric OEM setup.

I have been using rims which are "technically" for Chevy bolt pattern for the last...oh...seven years, and recently got another set with the same spec. Ya don't think Toyota planned it that way, do ya ;)?

-Sean
Thank you for the intell Sean. Im looking at a set of 18 inch graniet alloy rims. What does lug centric meen as apposed to the other centric term you used ? And that measurement is that center to center of the stud or the inner bore size you mentioned ? I have a 2000 tundra. It has a 2 inch suspension lift and im looking at new coil overs. It has fox fabtech now that are shot out. Any words of wisdom on those ? I had to do the rebuild on the passenger can mount. Ive skidded alot of logs and hauled cords and cords of wood with it, so that didnt surprise me. The most fun was replacing the starter on it. I rolled under it on my creeper and scratched my head, and thaught no wonder it wont start someone jacked my starter. Lol. Still cannot believe they put it there.

#8 ·
As an example, I have a set of BOSS eagle alloys 18" with toyo proxes 285/60R-18 tires.
Knowing that the bolt pattern was the same, I put one of the BOSS wheels on just to see if it cleared hub opening, fit over brakes etc... Well it did appear to fit. But to be sure I took to a Belle tire dealer and had them fit them. I was right. They will fit. So until you can "try on" a set of wheels, don't rule them out.

#10 ·
If they're MT Classic II's they should fit. Most people here get their 16x8's in a "Chevy" backspacing,it fills the wheelwells better than the backspacing MT recommends for Tundras.
My roomate bought my old MTs,he has a 90s Chevy pickup ;)

#11 ·
the bolt patterent is the same, ALL toyota wheels will fit on a chevy, BUT not all chevy wheels will fit on a toyota, if they are hub centric to a chevy they wont fit a toyota, basically you have to try the wheel on,

IF THE WHEEL SAYS "BOLT PATTEREN, 6X5.5 AND ITS HUBCENTRIC IT WILL NOT FIT, ITS DESIGNED FOR A CHEVY, GET THE ONE THAT ISNT HUBCENTRIC

#12 · (Edited)
Why do my new 1/4" spacers on front of my 2005 Tundra cause my truck to vibrate bad at 55 up? Anything special needed to space out OEM 2007 17" 6 lug (4Runner) mags out 1/4" on a 2005 Tundra..Tires rub top ball joint without them as they have Duratracs on them I want to keep.

After putting these on I get vibration at higher speeds? Anyone know why?
I bought 4 to use all the way around but only installed on front. Rears are still stock.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-TOYOTA-W...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

fwiw:
According to this chart a 2007 4Runner & 2005 Tundra 6 lug wheel is the same. Any 6 lug is just a 6 lug on Toys, all the same pretty much. Some have different offsets but pattern the same.
https://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com/Toyota___Vehicle_Bolt_Pattern_Reference.cfm

Thank you all...

#13 ·
Looks to me like those spacers lead to all kinds of opportunity to slip around a bit. Did you install longer studs? If you're on stock studs, there is now barely any stud for your lugs to grip onto. For the wheel to properly center around the lugs/studs, the lug shoulder would have to go through and get inside the spacer holes, or else the spacer can just move around.

Your wheels could fall off. Those spacers do not look up to the job (to me). You would need ones that have their own lugs integrated into the spacer.

Those look dangerous. You need to send them back. I've used spacers like that on my race car, but the spacers were drilled to fit the studs exactly, not an oval shape, and I had extended lugs.