Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I have a question. So Ive been reading about the Unichip for the 2000 Tundra and man would I love to get one but the price is rediculous. Has anyone looked at ebay at the chips they have for example the G BOX? I have looked at the ads, read the feedback, and pondered the idea. I certainly am almost 100 percent sceptical of buying one for I do not want to harm my engine over a 150 dollar chip some garge mechanic slapped together. Has anyone out there have a chip other than the 900 dollar unichip? Is it safe? Is it noticable? What are the pros and cons? Let me know I am really curious I dont have 900 dollars for something I cant even see.......but is the diffrence worth it if I did have that amount to blow (and if I can sneak it in past the wife!ha ha ha)

Thanks

·
Registered
984 Posts
its worth it, i mean its not like s/c or turbo gains, but its something you feel, mostly in the upper rpms. if you goto the unichip sight they have a dyno. 900 bucks was kinda steep, but you get what you pay for. if u ever get any other mods, you can just tune it, although unichip tune shops are far and few in between. another option is the jet chip although i havent heard of anyone here having it. i understand you have to send your whole ECU in to get reflashed and every time you get a new mod it has to be done again. 500 bucks cheaper, but more down time, plus the s/h and insurance. good thing about the UNI is if you ever want to sell your truck, you can just remove it.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
back in the day, Jet chips didn't really show improvements for the older Tundras...not sure why.

The Unichip shows gains through the entire rpm range...it's a big gain at peak just by itself, add headers+exhaust etc. and it really moves. Buy it before you buy anything else for power--ie intakes, exhaust, headers and stuff.

Power doesn't drop off much after peak anymore...it runs hard all the way to redline, grabs a gear, and keeps pulling...even with 35s and stock gears. Add long tubes, exhaust and cold air with a ram kit, and it really gets up and moves, especially on the B map with midgrade fuel.

-Sean

1 - 3 of 3 Posts