Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I installed my 3" control arms last night! I will post pics later... I have a problem. My 22's will not fit cause they are too wide. My factory 18's will not work, cause i can not turn. The control arm hits the facotry 18" rim . I am not going through all the trouble to press out those ball joints again, so i am going to try to grind on the control arm a little bit. if that doesnt work I might need to find some factory 20's so i can turn.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
That sucks :( Get a small wheel spacer to clear the arm, I wouldn't grind the arms.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
What he said ^ The last thing I would do is start grinding down my suspension components.. :/

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
just go straight. :)

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Spacer is much more preferable than grinding the arm. I would grind the coil bucket or the body mount. but that's about it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! do you know a website where i can get a spacer? are the studs going to be long enough? and i will get pics up later of the drop! c-notch will be in this week so i can lower the back some more!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
What drop kit did you use? That looks nice.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
yup. dat be low.

also, popo whatever his screen name is, has a 2010 crewmax and he has some spacer/adapters on his truck, give him a minute or day and he'll come in here to post his suggestions im sure...i think he got his on ebay but not sure.

i see you painted the bumper valance white...i thought about it....glad you like it. but what would look really really good IMO is for you to powdercoat your bumper white, 007_tundra did it and he posted pics of his....in case u get bored just search for his and see what im talking about.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
What he said ^ The last thing I would do is start grinding down my suspension components.. :/
Oh come on, don't be so negative. Grind your name into the things, grind them waaaay down and let 'em know who the boss is, then get up to about 90 on the interstate. Swerve from one lane to the other as fast as you can. If you live, then you're good to go. Otherwise, well, it really doesn't matter at that point does it?

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Oh come on, don't be so negative. Grind your name into the things, grind them waaaay down and let 'em know who the boss is, then get up to about 90 on the interstate. Swerve from one lane to the other as fast as you can. If you live, then you're good to go. Otherwise, well, it really doesn't matter at that point does it?
Sarcasm fixes everything :clown:

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
I have the same arm on mine but dont have the rub issue. My wheels are 9 inch wide. You must be at 10 or so?? Just an FYI here though. I tried what you are going to do and failed because the 2" coils were not designed to go with the 3" arms and had big time alignment issues. What will happen is your tie rods will be too long and requires cutting from the 3" arm as specified in the install instructions. now you have tie rods that work but when you increase the angle with a secondary drop of 2" by way of coils you need to cut a lot more of the tie rod to get the toe in enough to drive the truck. Believe me I scrubbed my tires for 3 miles to get it aligned and they had a hard time. The alignment tech I used has been around the block and a true veteran but this was very challenging for him. I ened up just using the arms and replacing the drop springs with the OEM ones. The other part is the caster and camber which would have required the guy to heat the arms and bend them into place to achieve better measurments. I am not saying it wont work at all but I wasn't willing to shorten the tie rods to the point that it would require them to be replaced if I ever decided to go back to stock. Plus it was getting into the $400-$500 range for labor so I decided to go the way I did. Good luck with yours. Oh and another thing too my front tires rubbed the inner fender on every slight road fluctuation. My tires are 305/45/22 now I could negate the rub by going with a slimmer side wall but I cant afford any more tires right now.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
wow sounds like lots of hackin and grinding and cutting...yikes!

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
Nah just trimming down the tie rod end to get the toe back into spec. I ended up cutting off about 1/2 inch on each side and the shop cut off another 1/2. These tie rods a stinkin long but there is a point where you need to call it quits on the cut back. I am happy with my results but would like the front a little lower just dont want to spend the cash just yet. I just got some new leather couches and will be getting as new flat screen tv shortly so that is eating at my play money.

·
Registered
642 Posts
That just looks bad arse dropped like that!! I would've done the same but I go offroad quite a bit so no drop kit:(..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts