Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I'm new here. I know since this is technically a "4Runner" sub-forum inside of a Toyota forum, I may get some biased opinions, but I'm sure some of you drive Hondas (or have spouses that do) as well.

I'm looking for an SUV to handle some of these white-out South Dakota winters (where I live we have anywhere between 2-8 feet of snow at one time, mostly between November and March). I have a 2003 Grand Am GT right now and i'm kinda tired of getting stuck. Been looking at dealerships and I've kinda narrowed it down to two choices. Both are just under $15k and are 2004 models. One is a Toyota 4 Runner LIMITED with V8, 4WD with 94k miles and the other is a Honda Pilot EXL V6 with 62k miles. The Toyota has the option of 0% financing which I've heard different things about; the Honda does not but I'm sure the dealership can work something out with me (I have good credit).

My deal is - will the Honda, being 30k miles younger, be a better deal than the Toyota? Or will the Toyota, even though it's 30k miles "older", still outlast a Honda Pilot?

I'm going to be using it around town primarily and almost never off-road. The transmission cost and some parts are like twice that for the Toyota over the Honda, not that I'd want to replace them.

I haven't test driven either of them, I plan to next week. Please let me know your thoughts! Thanks!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
I'm on my 2nd Pilot. I assume you are talking about front wheel 2WD Pilot? That will be different than a 4WD 4runner . When I picked my current 07 Pilot I had also been comparing the two, bearing in mind that I do not have SD snow (nominal in TN, nothing the front WD cant handle). If your Pilot is 4wd, I'd get it, hands down.

My Pilot is EXTREMELY comfortable and I've never had the first problem with it. Plenty of get up and go. More room / space. Many more luxury features were standard on the Pilot vs similarly priced 4runner in 2007. I can get 18-20 mpgs around town and 22-24 on highway.

When I decide to jettison this Pilot, I will again look at Pilot and 4runner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm on my 2nd Pilot. I assume you are talking about front wheel 2WD Pilot? That will be different than a 4WD 4runner . When I picked my current 07 Pilot I had also been comparing the two, bearing in mind that I do not have SD snow (nominal in TN, nothing the front WD cant handle). If your Pilot is 4wd, I'd get it, hands down.

My Pilot is EXTREMELY comfortable and I've never had the first problem with it. Plenty of get up and go. More room / space. Many more luxury features were standard on the Pilot vs similarly priced 4runner in 2007. I can get 18-20 mpgs around town and 22-24 on highway.

When I decide to jettison this Pilot, I will again look at Pilot and 4runner.

Hi, these are the two I am comparing.

Pilot

2004 HONDA PILOT EXL USED | Billion Auto | Sioux Falls Sioux City Fargo Rapid City Watertown | SD IA MN Dealership

4 Runner

2004 TOYOTA 4 RUNNER LIMITED USED | Billion Auto | Sioux Falls Sioux City Fargo Rapid City Watertown | SD IA MN Dealership

Why would you recommend the Pilot over the 4Runner? Just the comfortability factor? It seems like it's a bit more stuffy than the 4 Runner from the pics I saw. Does it work better in snow, or is it just more reliable? Also, what would you say about a 4WD RAV4 from 2003? Thanks!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Wife has a 04 Pilot EXL,156,000 miles and we've replaced a sensor underneath,$200. I had a 08 4Runner V6, the 4X4 system in that vehicle is a real- deal 4X4 with low-range,the Pilot is more of an automatic AWD system.The Pilot would be my choice given it's size and usable room advantage over the 4R.When she's ready to buy again,we'll head to our Honda dealership......IF, they're still in business! They'll probably be next on the UAW payback hit-list.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
30K is a big diff in miles. No knock on the 4runner, my Pilot is just plain awesome. You need to drive both and see what you think. Not sure what you mean by 'stuffy'. The 4runner is a little more truck-like and the Pilot is 'stuffy' in that it rides more like a luxury car?

You might scoot over to some Pilot forum and post the same question.

I seem to recall that the older Rav4s were dinky and tin-can like?

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
I think comparing the Pilot to the Highlander would be a closer comparison. The 4runner is body on frame instead of unibody as the Pilot is. I don't think you could go wrong with either the pilot or the 4runner. I looked at both before buying my 4runner. i liked feel of the 4 runner better. My neighbor did the same. He liked the Pilot.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
I think with the mileage and lack of needing an off road 4x4, the Honda would be the way to go. Both have good reliability ratings although the Honda says they have had problems with the front engine mount, about $250. Gas mileage is probably going to go to the Honda as well, although not a massive difference.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I sold my Toyota Sequoia and purchased a Pilot.After 2 months I couldn't stand the Honda.I hated the fact that I had to drive it at all,it's a car with all wheel drive.If that's what you are looking for,fine.I sold it and purchased a 4Runner,I will never leave Toyota again.I get good gas mileage and getting around in the snow,well,there is no comparason.The Toyota handles it so much better,and the Toyota quality is a little better than the Honda.As far as the miles on both,90k on a Toyota wouldn't bother me.I have a 03 Tacoma with 320,000 miles.Brakes,tires and regular maintenece,that's all I have done since purchasing it new.

·
Registered
147 Posts
If the pilot is not 4WD, I would not consider it as I know how the snow storms get in South Dakota. Now, if you ever plan to go camping or driving on any roads less than perfectly paved, I would get the 4 runner. Pilots are not meant for off road. 4 runner will have bigger tires on it and also is capable of running bigger tires than the pilot stock. Honda's in general have less power and ride rougher than toyotas. The mileage difference is nothing as they are both quality foriegn cars. I think you will have better luck getting around in snowy roads, rocky and dirt roads, and will be more dependable with the Toyota 4 runner. You just cant kill those things. Now if you lived in Arizona and never left a paved dry road, the honda would pry be more efficient. Performance, ride quality, power, offroad capabilities are more important to me living in Colorado than a few mpg I could get with a Honda but it would break the day I load it up with camping gear and dogs and friends and set out on a dirt trail. Look at the cars they make, Hondas are all pavement princesses, even their truck the ridgeline is a weak excuse for a truck compared to any Toyota truck. Toyotas are built to withstand a beating in harsh road and weather conditions, more so than honda. I have owned a few hondas and toyotas, I will never buy a honda again. Hondas sit lower and ride rougher than toyotas. Is true for about any catagory of cars. Ride in an accord then a camry, camry rides and drives 10 times better, hondas ride rough and sit low. Some might say its more sporty, but there is nothing sporty about an accord or camry so go figure.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
4RUNNER hands down. I drove my folks 07 4runner and a a new 08 pilot.

One is car like (pilot) keep it on road and the other is truck like ( 4runner) and can do more with it.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
<< I'm going to be using it around town primarily and almost never off-road. >>

Most of you guys are glossing over his main requirement. And no, a Pilot does not ride rougher than the 4runner 'around town'. That's absurd. One ride like a truck and one rides like a car.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I forgot to add my gas mileage stats.I had an 06 Pilot AWD.Never got better than 18 mpg.Same driving with my 4Runner,I get 19-20.I was in Moline Illinois for hockey 2 weeks ago,got 22 going and coming back.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
I forgot to add my gas mileage stats.I had an 06 Pilot AWD.Never got better than 18 mpg.Same driving with my 4Runner,I get 19-20.I was in Moline Illinois for hockey 2 weeks ago,got 22 going and coming back.

Is your 4runner a v8 as well? That is good gas mileage for a v8!

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
My wife has had her 04 Pilot since new and has over 90k on it right now. We have never had any repairs done on it. With 30k less miles I think the Honda wins hands down especially if your only using it around town. If you were off-roading on the weekends than I'd say the 4 runner. Good Luck

·
Registered
655 Posts
both great SUVs,let the wife pick,it will make your life easier.lol.just keep in mind,if you hit some ice,and end up in a ditch,the 4runner more then likely will get you out,as the pilot goes,call a tow truck "id never want that to happen to you tho"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts