Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys...

Got 2 small rock chips on the end of my hood and now considering a wind deflector/bug shield to help alleviate that. I was considering the more expensive option, a 3M Clear Bra, but again I'd much rather spend $50-75 as opposed to $300-400. Plus, once the 3M is installed...the 2 rock chips would still be visible.

Had 2 Titans with wind deflectors...but they were so big/bulky that they detracted from the looks of the truck. The deflectors for the Tundras seem to be more aesthetically pleasing to the eye and are starting to grow on me.

Would you please post 3 simple things for me:

1. Brand of your shield/deflector
2. Cost
3. Brief review of quality/installation/fit and finish/effectiveness against rcok chips...etc.
4. Pics (of course)

Thanks again for the help...

·
Registered
918 Posts
I got one by stampede. It was about 75 bucks retail through an accessory shop. It is secured between the edge of the hood and grill shell by the screws that attatch the shell to the hood and also clipped to the hood at the outtermost edges by extra plastic clips underneath so the edges don't flop around. It is smooth and matches the lines of the truck, and at no place does it touch the paint on the hood. I am tight for time right now and dont have clear pics of it but if anybody else has the same thing maybe they can post pics. Just remember to get the hose in there and clear dirt and grit from underneath it when you wash the truck, or if you want to go that extra mile loosen and unclip it every time you wash the hood. Look for a product that doesn't touch your paint during or after installation and avoid the double-sided tape ones.

Whether they look good is subjective. Mine is smooth, matches the lines of the truck, and goes well with my ventshades so I'm happy with it. As for overall effectiveness, some say no. I say yes. On my last truck when I took it off briefly I almost immediately got a couple chips in areas where I wouldn't have had it been on. At highway speeds most small pebbles and debris flying at the truck, if they're gonna damage your hood, will come straight at you just a tiny bit above grill level and skip up the hood. Anything higher than that will hit the windshield before the hood. The deflector will angle them up and away from the hood.

They're effectiveness at windshield protection is limited but I believe they cut down significantly on hood chips.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Here's my EGR Bugshield:

Bought in late 2007 or early 2008. No problems so far.

Effective: yes. I haven't got any rock chips on the windshield since I installed this. It's clear and won't change the appearance of the front of the truck. I bought this cause rocks have hit my windshield and chipped it in a couple of places. As far as installation, my truck is a 2007 so it maybe different for your truck. It screws inside the hood.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
My advice stay away from AVS mine was total junk and install was a huge pain in the arse. When i first installed the thing the provided holes didn't line up at all and the bug guard was off centered on the truck. After taking it back off, drilling new holes in it and re-mounting it, the guard seemed to be molded improperly and the driver side edge seemed to have a greater curve than the passenger side. It was nothing huge but the small variation in curvature just annoys a person like me so i decided to cut the edges off so the bug guard was lined up with the edge of the hood and didn't extend out to the fenders...which solved the problem of the improper molding. haha

-AVS
-purchased from autoanything.com
-It does protect the hood and redirects air flow, greatly reduced the amount of bugs on my front window.

Bottom line, ill keep it on there for now, but id never buy it again. Get another brand. I hate to bash products but i have to be honest with this one.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally!!!!!

Finally chose the AVS Bugflector II.

I have read of installation issues, but I had none. It installed perfectly and I had no hassle with fitment/alignment. Only thing I din't like about it is the AVS logo.

Suggestions on how to remove? It's not a sticker...more like etching.

Anyhoo, here are the crappy phone pics...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
the toyota brand one isnt to expensive,, I would stay the hell away from the clear bras,, esp if you live in texas,, we have them even up here in new hampshire looking like hell after a year or two... the color of the clear gets cloudy, and eventually looks horrible...

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
art 64 's in the post above looks pretty slick..

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
the toyota brand one isnt to expensive,, I would stay the hell away from the clear bras,, esp if you live in texas,, we have them even up here in new hampshire looking like hell after a year or two... the color of the clear gets cloudy, and eventually looks horrible...
the real 3m stuff doesnt cloud up, the cheap and thinner versions do though. and look horrible.

as far as a deflector, i'd rather touch up a chip or two than have an ugly plastic thing hanging off my hood...

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
yes the 3m stuff does cloud up.. the guy who does ours uses 3m,, and within a year or 2, it clouds up,, the stuff is crap.... i work at a lexus and toyota dealer.. almost every lexus gets that crap put on it,, and looks like azz in no time...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes the 3m stuff does cloud up.. the guy who does ours uses 3m,, and within a year or 2, it clouds up,, the stuff is crap.... i work at a lexus and toyota dealer.. almost every lexus gets that crap put on it,, and looks like azz in no time...
I must agree. My wife's 2007 Lexus made 3 years on Mother's Day and the thing is clouding up. Yes, it has served it's purpose, but the clouding is there. It's not horrible looking, though. I just notice more because I'm one of those guys that hand washes in the driveway. I know every scratch, scrape, nick, dent, etc on the wife's car. And believe me...there are a bunch.

:(

·
Registered
26 Posts
Today I installed the AVS Bug deflector II on my 2010 DC. No issues and no clips were broken. They give you a little plastic pry tool that helped in not breaking the plastic clips. The plastic screws and inserts they give you were too small for the holes under the hood and the parts store only had the push in plastic pins, so for now they have to do. I will replace them with the correct insert and screws later. The deflector seems to stick up a little higher than I thought they would, but I am used to the deflectors that wrap over and under the front of your hood. Looks OK and about half the cost of the OEM.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Re: Finally!!!!!

Finally chose the AVS Bugflector II.

I have read of installation issues, but I had none. It installed perfectly and I had no hassle with fitment/alignment. Only thing I din't like about it is the AVS logo.

Suggestions on how to remove? It's not a sticker...more like etching.

Anyhoo, here are the crappy phone pics...
Take a coin and just lightly run it back and fourth over the painted logo there, the "AVS" will come right off, not scratching, thats what i did with mine. :tu: Glad to hear ya didnt have the install issues i had!

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
yeah avs stuff is kinda crappy,, even there window wind deflectors... the weathertech stuff is nicer,, more n=money but worth it in my opinion..

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
This is what i had to do to mine because the bug deflector was touching the driver side headlight. So basically the passenger side and the driver side were molded differently. It looks like the stocker yota one now though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Im picking up my new Sequoia tomorrow, and im very hesitant to put a bug deflector on this machine. I own a 2003 4Runner and my lady bought me the OEM bug deflector for my birthday and had it installed by my dealership tech when i brought it in for a routine oil change. After 8 months, the metal brackets on the outer-most ends dug through the clear coat, paint, primer and into the metal!! I was PISSED!!!!!

The dealership finance guy (when he was giving the shpeel about "you should buy the Toyota extra care plan" etc etc) told of some "glass like protectant" that coats the entire car, then i looked into the 3M total front coverage, and ive been looking at the OTHER deflectors from different manufacturers.....but is there a dependable option that wont ruin the vehicle, cloud up, or just plain ol' WORK?

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Well, I'm not sure that they actually use "3M" or an imitation, but mine has been on for 3 years now and it looks as clear and unnoticeable as it did the first day I put it on. Living in MD, it has been subjected to both very hot and cold/freezing temperatures including a number of big snow storms. No peeling/cracking/chipping yet and I can clean the truck in half the time it took to clean my wife's old Honda Accord. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again (though it was a pretty nerve-wracking experience). Just be sure to get the real 3M stuff!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts