Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 06 DC and am looking for a chrome fuel door. Not a plastic fuel door cover that looks like chrome but the actual door. Anyone know who makes these?:ts:

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Most likely nobody because:

1. It's not really in demand.
2. It would look so out of place.

If you really want to get it done, you could just remove the fuel door, have the paint stripped, and get it chromed.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Don't forget the Chrome bug deflector and maybe some chrome wind deflectors for the doors. You could also get that cool chrome stripping that goes on the edges of your doors and hood. Maybe an awesome chrome double tube rollbar for the bed.

OOH OHH Chrome door handles

What about these cool wheel trims???

And chrome window tint

If you are going to do it, you might as well do it right and go all the way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Why does everyone on this site have to be an A**hole about things, they dis big rims, crome fuel doors, lambo doors, lowered trucks. It's really stupid, no wonder people think tundras are for old people. YOUNG GUYS HAVE TUNDRAS AND WE HAVE DIFFERENT TASTE THEN OLDER GUYS. Most of the guys that dis all that stuff, drive a regular tundra with a stickers on it of some sort and that is what they call a customs truck. yeah boy nothin' like a truck with a racing sticker on it. yeah.

I have a lifted tundra, I'm putting lambo door on my truck and I would like to find a crome gas tank like all the Dodge and Ford guys have. It isn't tacky on there trucks. And I bet I can get more attenion with my truck then half the people on here. I mean it's cool to have an opinion about somthing but when someone puts money into their truckk don't make fun of it thier satisfying their wants not yours.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Spare us chunk. Since when does a chrome fuel door add taste to anything. If I could count every time I've seen any car with a chrome fuel door on it, I had to stop and think, if that wasn't the ugliest thing I have ever seen.

Besides, if you knew anything about real custom work, people don't chrome fuel doors, they shave them.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Chrome is so overdone and honestly is becoming as fashionable as gold jewelry...wheels maybe alright, but the less you can have of it the better. The monochromatic look is so much cleaner and modern. Somebody posted their black DC on here once and it had a chrome bug deflector, chrome door handles and the worst was chrome pillars between the front and rear doors!! It made the truck look so broken up.

Honestly, I struggle to comprehend what people are thinking sometimes. Like the tool that asked how 26's would look on a Tundra - good if you live in Harlem.

·
Registered
561 Posts
i try to respect what most people do to their rides......most.....:) but yeah, chrome does take away from the clean look of a vehicle. i've stripped off anything that resembles chrome on my truck with the exception of my bumpers:tu: lambo doors are awesome, i'm actually looking at doing that as well, but every domestic truck i've seen with a bunch of chrome accessories just looks fake. it's too much crap everywhere, and you can tell that their door handles are just covers held on with adhesive. i would much rather spend the time and money to shave everything :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dude I agree with you 100% about that clean look. I have my tailgate handle shaved, I changed out my bumper for a roll pan. I hate the front bumper on my truck, I would love to have a plastic one, but can't find one anywheres. people around here were I live drive fords out the a##, which i have blow off the road with the old tundra. lol much faster then fords. lol
But yeah I was just taking up cause every talks about peoples rides on here man. I know how much money mine has in it and I don't want people to down my ride, it is what I like and thats all that matters. you know.
But back to the post I think the crome gas doors look pretty good but that is the only crome on that truck beside rims of corse. But personally I like the black rims. lol but I also like 35 or 45' on it. with a 6in lift. but lowriders are cool also. what ever float your boat. But after I got to thinkin' that crome tank on a tundra mihgt be a lil tacky cause of the square tank lid. I saw somone on here who took a round one bolted it on and then put body filler around it to fill in the gaps it looked pretty good.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Why does everyone on this site have to be an A**hole about things, they dis big rims, crome fuel doors, lambo doors, lowered trucks. It's really stupid, no wonder people think tundras are for old people. YOUNG GUYS HAVE TUNDRAS AND WE HAVE DIFFERENT TASTE THEN OLDER GUYS. Most of the guys that dis all that stuff, drive a regular tundra with a stickers on it of some sort and that is what they call a customs truck. yeah boy nothin' like a truck with a racing sticker on it. yeah.

I have a lifted tundra, I'm putting lambo door on my truck and I would like to find a crome gas tank like all the Dodge and Ford guys have. It isn't tacky on there trucks. And I bet I can get more attenion with my truck then half the people on here. I mean it's cool to have an opinion about somthing but when someone puts money into their truckk don't make fun of it thier satisfying their wants not yours.
There we go stereo typing people again. UM, I am in my early 20's. I just do not like CRAP and am trying to help this poor lost soul out before he makes a joke of his rig. I do not like unpractical cheap stuff. Most if not all people like things that IMPROVE the truck. A Chrome gas tank/door does not improve anything and is a joke. Please do it we need some one to point and laugh at.

No one likes Lambo doors because they do not work properly and block half the door so getting in and out is rediculous. (We have installed them). Why not just weld the doors shut it would be easier to get in and out.

Big wheels look good and unlike sport if someone wants 26's good for them. Not for me but hey I would like to see a Tundra with 26's. as long as he does not have lambo doors and a chrome fuel tank/door.

Lower your truck- good do it nice and show us. They look good and not everyone needs to be trendy and lift their truck since that is the fad right now. Just do it nice and don't put on lambo doors and a chrome fuel tank/door.

I have worked on/built/owned more custom vehicles parts then most so please think of who you may be talking to. Maybe take people that have much more experience then yours opinions into consideration and learn. I have built countless offroad vehicles with one off parts. I have built a show VW Bug with shaved everything frenched in antenna lights and full custom interior and it would haul A$$. I did a ground up on a 67 Mustang. There are 4 Trucks in Street trucks, Mini Truckin' magazine I have worked on and many others that attend shows. NOTHING I own is stock. Look at my jet ski, Golf Cart, Skateboard (Lifted), Wifes car, Trailer, Desert Truck...Heck even my garage trash cans are custom painted.

Being YOUNG is no excuse for BAD taste.:cry:

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I saw somone on here who took a round one bolted it on and then put body filler around it to fill in the gaps it looked pretty good.
Now when you talk of "dueceswild's" fuel door you have a point. He bailed the ugly square one but I believe he installed a polished aluminum one which is a totally different look then chrome. And he actually cut the bed welded in a peice of the Ford or whatever lid bed and did body work to smooth it out. ALOT of work for a fuel door and I can appreciate that.

·
No job too small.
2,206 Posts
I'm sorry big_o_. It's really not about you, but you opened up a whole can of whoopa$$, and I can't resist ... IMHO, 1 reason chrome is not cool is because it's so easy to do. dsrtrcr01 pointed out all the chrome peel and stick stuff you can install with almost no effort. Where're the bragging rights in that? If you can find a ready made chrome, or slightly better a brushed stainless, titanium, black chrome or anodized aluminum fuel door for a Tundra, I looked for you and couldn't find anything, then it will have some uniqueness -- that is until you tell us where you got it, and how easy it was to install. Creativity, functionality, and effort = :cool: I've always loved the "California Look" as we used to call it here in the hinterlands of WI: monochromatic color, and shaved everything. If I saw a Tundra like that with a custom made chrome fuel door as the only accent it would say something to me about effort. And after-market chrome stuff.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm sorry big_o_. It's really not about you, but you opened up a whole can of whoopa$$, and I can't resist ... IMHO, 1 reason chrome is not cool is because it's so easy to do. dsrtrcr01 pointed out all the chrome peel and stick stuff you can install with almost no effort. Where're the bragging rights in that? If you can find a ready made chrome, or slightly better a brushed stainless, titanium, black chrome or anodized aluminum fuel door for a Tundra, I looked for you and couldn't find anything, then it will have some uniqueness -- that is until you tell us where you got it, and how easy it was to install. Creativity, functionality, and effort = :cool: I've always loved the "California Look" as we used to call it here in the hinterlands of WI: monochromatic color, and shaved everything. If I saw a Tundra like that with a custom made chrome fuel door as the only accent it would say something to me about effort. And after-market chrome stuff.
Good post...I love the monochromatic look too. I will say that a nice machined billet or brushed stainless fuel door would look good. There's a HUGE difference between steel that's been cheaply chrome plated or has a chrome laminate on it vs a nice thick flo-jet/CNC SS or billet piece.

·
Registered
9 Posts
OK what about the round style aircraft fuel doors? What is the conventional wisdom about those. I also have access to both the fuel doors from an old Jag and also from a 70 Dodge Charger? I like all three and can;t decide. Does anybody care if I take the tank throat and run it into the rear lights area like a 57 chevy?

Les

·
Registered
573 Posts
geez guys lighten up. the guy wants what he wants. I personally wouldn't put one on and I like bits of chrome here and there, but don't attack him because he's not doing what YOU think is right.....monochrome is great, but its just like every other stocker out there, so if you want to blend in with the rest of the mob, thats great, lay off. Guys with 6 inch lifts on 35" tires that spend 95% of their time on pavement doesn't make a lot of sense either, and thats been said a thousand times. He just asked a question. Personally alot of the jacked up stuff is poorly done and end up looking like compensation for small anatomy, but I'm not going to scream at you about how tacky and senseless it is......thats IF you're driving on pavement all the time. There's tasteful ways of dressing up anything, its all in the eyes of the beholder, personal style, not strictly to impress anyone but themselves.

·
Registered
369 Posts
As for the OP, by expressing a preference for solid metal over metallic coated plastic, it sounds like big_o_ is taking a quality-minded approach :tu: to his mods, even though many of us have opposing opinions :p about chrome in general. Just my own personal preference, chrome was one of the things I wanted to avoid :td: when originally shopping for my tundra, so that's why I chose a Limited :) body style. Even so, I'll be the first to admit that painted surfaces that might otherwise be chromed have drawbacks as well.

As long as we're sharing opinions, it's my opinion that appearance and performance mods that significantly change the stock characteristics should be as unique as possible. To me, that means completely avoid trying to look/perform like any other pickup "around town". If you wanna be different, then make your changes truly unique :eek: :cool:. Don't just jump on the latest fad, like underbody lighting (way back when) or uglyfied fuel doors--because others have already done that.

Lastly, I was hoping I wouldn't be the only one following this thread that was in the dark regarding shaved parts. I know the visual images that currently come to mind are probably wrong, so since I'm also here to learn, would someone be kind enough to shed some light on this new (to me, at least) definition of shaved?

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Lastly, I was hoping I wouldn't be the only one following this thread that was in the dark regarding shaved parts. I know the visual images that currently come to mind are probably wrong, so since I'm also here to learn, would someone be kind enough to shed some light on this new (to me, at least) definition of shaved?
So are you asking what it means to "Shave" a fuel door or other parts? I think that is what I am reading.

To "Shave a fuel door you would simply weld up the fuel door grind, bofy fill smooth and paint so it looks liek it was never there. This would require that you re route it to some place else usually the inside of the bed so it is not seen and the truck has a cleaner look. I shaved the handles and blinkers on my 61 Bug. Meaning when you looked at the car you saw no door handles and could not even tell there was ever any there (if the job is done right) I used electronic poppers hooked to my alarm to pop the door open when I hit the button. The blinkers I relocated into the headlight assembly.

Here is a pic of a door handle shave in process. I know not the shaved body part you were hoping to see a pic of.:D

Here is a nice finished job. See how the handles are gone and you can not tell where they were?

I assume since you do not know what "shaved" is you do not know about "frenching". Again not what you are thinking. Below is a pic of "Frenched" tail lights. See how the person actually sunk the lights into the body. This is the frenched look and what I did to my electric antenna on my vw Bug.

If you were asking for something else let me know.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts

:devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Not only have I learned something, :ts:, I'm truly impressed. That's also a perfect illustration of my point(s)--a result of quality workmanship and not some "everyone else is doing it" bolt-on alteration :rolleyes: that will soon be available (if not already) from the nearby Pep Boys, WalMart, or equivalent.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Not only have I learned something, :ts:, I'm truly impressed. That's also a perfect illustration of my point(s)--a result of quality workmanship and not some "everyone else is doing it" bolt-on alteration :rolleyes: that will soon be available (if not already) from the nearby Pep Boys, WalMart, or equivalent.
You think a fuel door or door handles shaved is nice looking? Man you ain't seen NOTHIN yet. People with show trucks shave EVERYTHING possible. Body lines, blinkers, tailights. Anything.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts