Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I scored a pyrite mica painted bumper to replace my chrome while back. After inspecting it, I was thinking how it would hold up in an frontal collision or any accident for that matter vs my chrome bumper which seems to be more sturdy? Now I know chips and scratches are inevitable but that's what I would get a 3m clearbra for, I more concerned about my safety of myself and my passengers. Please chime in. Don't want to sacrifice safety over looks...or am I overthinking this?

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Both bumper have reinforcements behind them. The outer part sticks out but with all the damaged bumpers, I don't think it matters all that much.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
You're fine with either in a major collision. You will want to avoid cones even with the aluminum foil bumper.

-rockstate

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Yea, the chrome or the plastic skin is just for looks, when the bumper is taken off, you'll see the actual bumper behind the skin, Its a pretty heavy duty piece of metal back there. Your quite well protected during collisions in a Tundra.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I agree with everything posted so far. However, in a very low speed impact, wouldn't the plastic bumper fair a little better because it would be able to deform during the impact, but then pop back out to it's original shape were as the chrome bumper would simply get dented because it metal?

·
Registered
54 Posts
You should be fine! Is this a simple swap or do yo have to get different brackets to mount the plastic bumper? I'm thinking of replacing my chrome bumper for a plastic one as well.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
As stated, it's just a skin. The reinforcement bar is what matters and I believe they are different between the two bumpers.

·
Registered
655 Posts
in a low speed accident,both bumpers are crap,the chrome bumper will dent,the plastic bumper will crack or lose its paint.as far as safety goes.look up :juggle:,they both are safe.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
in a low speed accident,both bumpers are crap,the chrome bumper will dent,the plastic bumper will crack or lose its paint.as far as safety goes.look up :juggle:,they both are safe.
Look at my photo album, I cracked my plastic bumper on my 07 pyrite mica Tundra when I hit a deer at like 20mph. Proof enough, that neither one is better than the other. :) I got hung up for a nice 3 grand bill that the insurance co ate with a 500 deductible!

Sanosuke!

·
Registered
655 Posts
stupid deers!!did you at least make some jerky out of it?lol

·
Registered
655 Posts
i no we are,lol.your welcome!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts