Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across a clamp-on tip while searching online. Are they better or worse than weld-on? My friend will be welding on my muffler, so it's not a problem for me. I wanted to know what the ups and downs are for both kinds.

·
Registered
561 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Well, they're both better than a strap-on :p.

Clamps- If you don't like the one you got, you can easily change it. Downside is, if/when the clamp loosens, it might rattle around and drive you nuts.

Welded- Harder to change (if you don't have a welder), but it won't come loose.

Most people don't have access to a welder, hence the huge clamp-on/bolt-on aftermarket. They'll both look the same.

-Sean

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I have had a clamp-on exhaust tip on my truck for a few months and I have not had any problems with it coming loose.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Somewhere on here I remember seeing a post by a member who described how they sanded and shined the tip of their stock pipe(s) to a highly polished finish. Investment for time and materials was pretty small, and still leaves the other options open if you don't like the outcome.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I THOUGHT ABOUT BUYING A CLAMP ON TIP TOO JUST BECAUSE I REALLY DIDN'T WANT AN AFTERMARKET EXHAUST...JUST SUX TO LOOK AT MY END PIPE WITH NO SHINE...WHAT ABOUT THOSE GLASS PACK TIPS??

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
from a performance point of view, it doesn't make much difference.

actually, any type of tip is going to decrease your performance slightly. in fluid dymanics terms, a tip is what is referred to as a rapid expansion. a rapid expansion occurs any time the diameter of the pipe sharply changes. a pipe open to the air is a type of rapid expansion. you'll always have one of those. by adding a tip, you are essentially making it into two rapid expansions - both of which cause turbulence and resistance to flow. (one where the diameter changes from the pipe diameter to the tip diameter, one where the tip changes to open air)

just thought you might like to know. it's not a big deal, but tips really are only for looks, not helping anything and actually causing a slight decrease in performance.

a tip however can be used to tune the length of the pipe to change resonant frequency or change flow characteristics based on the length of the pipe. in that case, welding would be better as some gas leakage will occur around a clamp on connection.

if you're only doing it for looks, choose what looks better to you. if you want to change it later or remove it to make it easier to clean/shine, get a clamp on.

·
Registered
635 Posts
from a performance point of view, it doesn't make much difference.

actually, any type of tip is going to decrease your performance slightly. in fluid dymanics terms, a tip is what is referred to as a rapid expansion. a rapid expansion occurs any time the diameter of the pipe sharply changes. a pipe open to the air is a type of rapid expansion. you'll always have one of those. by adding a tip, you are essentially making it into two rapid expansions - both of which cause turbulence and resistance to flow. (one where the diameter changes from the pipe diameter to the tip diameter, one where the tip changes to open air)

<snip>.
That's why you need this! :p
The Turbo Exhaust Tube&#153;

1 - 9 of 9 Posts