Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I had the ball joint recall done about a month ago, I hear a clanking sound coming from the driver's side front end whenever I go over a bump in the road at 40 mph or so. For example, those places where the highway repair guys put asphalt in the freeway expansion joints and it ends up sticking up about 2". Going over bumps at slower speeds doesn't seem to produce the problem, so it needs a fairly good bump to make the noise.

I'm not sure it was actually related to what the garage did, because it's been getting warmer here and I've been driving with the window down a bit more (can't hear it if the windows are up). I've been under the truck and banged on everything I can get my hands on - nothing is loose. Could it be the brake caliper? I checked the dust shield on the back of the wheel too. Any ideas on what to look for?

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
It could be the caliper. It's only held in by 2 bolts too. I don't think that's the problem though. The service dept could have done something wrong or messed something else up.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I had my BJ's done couple days ago and no new noises, i do have noise from Trailer Hitch reciever when i hit a bump it rattles very noticable. I have been meaning to wedge a wooden shim under it so i do not have to listen to it but i have noticed gas tank plastic skid plates rubbing and banging on aluminum shroud at t he front and rear and that's an easy fix!! very loud when ya tap plastic skid plate, chaffing in numerous places!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a DW and this is what I found out, it may not apply to you.

It's the left exhaust pipe loose because the collar that holds it on is improperly seated, too big and/or not assembled correctly.

If you look under the truck on the drivers side look at the pipe and shake it, you'll hear the clanking sound.

I'll take mine back for the recall and let them know about it.

I will start a thread for this....

Silver DW owner

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I have the same problem but I think my sound is coming from the right front wheel area. Really interested to hear the possible solutions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts