Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to look for a class V receiver for my '07 5.7 L 4x4 LB and have come across a disclaimer from Valley. They take exception to truck with a factory receiver.

Has anyone replaced the factory receiver hitch with a class V (1200 Lbs tongue weight)?

Did you come across this problem?

Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was told by the dealer here that the factory receiver is rated for 1,000 Lbs not 1,200 Lbs ???

·
Registered
50 Posts
Talk with another dealer, sounds like he is trying to make his monthly quota off of you.

Webby

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sometimes the answer is right under your nose. Page 6 of Toyota's tow guide species the factory installed receiver is a Class IV

http://www.toyota.com/pdfs/towguide_Part1.pdf

... and has 1,000 Lbs tongue weight limit. I'm sure it can handle more, but when something goes wrong you will be on your own if that tongue weight is over 1,000 Lbs.

So I reinstate my question.

Has anyone swapped the factory (class IV) hitch for a class V?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Likely not,Ive easily exceeded the 1,200 by quite abit and never had a concern
The stock hitch is under rated for "stooop-id people"

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Sometimes the answer is right under your nose. Page 6 of Toyota's tow guide species the factory installed receiver is a Class IV

http://www.toyota.com/pdfs/towguide_Part1.pdf

... and has 1,000 Lbs tongue weight limit. I'm sure it can handle more, but when something goes wrong you will be on your own if that tongue weight is over 1,000 Lbs.

So I reinstate my question.

Has anyone swapped the factory (class IV) hitch for a class V?
i think the big deal with swapping it out is the stock hitch is friggin huge and goes all the way up the frame rails unlike aftermarket hitches...but then again i dunno.

personally i woudlnt be worried about 200 lbs as there are plenty of people on here that have "proven" it to be stout enough. but i do see your point in wanting to remain "legal" and within guidlines etc in the event of a failure...but i dont think its been chartered territory here...yet....:)

i'd say just leave it alone, its one of the best stock hitches around. unless u just have to do it for your own piece of mind...then go for it then post up in case it ever comes up again. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts