Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Cleaning exhaust tips

11K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  bassett72 
#1 ·
I have the TRD dual exhaust on my Tundra. The tips are getting black, and I cannot get it off no matter how hard I scrub. I've posted this before in the "Tundra" section a couple months ago, and was told to use some Never Dull. I bought it and it didn't do anything to clean the tips.

I've been reading some other sites and they recommend, using #0000 Steel Wool?

Can someone explain what causes this? Like is there something wrong with my truck, that needs fixin/ checked? My aunts Benz gets this too, but wipes right off. Mine is like baked on for good.

Here is a picture of it, though the pic is a couple months old- has gotten worse (the bottom of the tips are turning black now too).

See less See more
#2 ·
Home

Boms Away Metal Polish should easily clean that up. Best metal polish I have ever used. If you use Boms Away you probably wont even need the #0000 wool, just an old wash cloth will be fine. If they are really bad then use it with the #0000.

#3 ·
I have noticed black tips on many many tundras but it doesn't happen on mine. Do you drive yours really hard? It may be from hard acceleration from stops etc. Doesn't happen to me since I shift under 2k RPM.

Try simple green with a little water mixed in. Spray it, let it sit for a bit then scrub it off.

#4 ·
I dont have actual tips on mine, so worrying about shine is not really an issue, but to get mine clean a little carb cleaner cuts it right off. A buddy of mine has a F-250 diesel with polished tips and he cleans his with carb cleaner also...tips are still shiny but not to sure what it may do long term wise to your shine.

#5 ·
I have the TRD dual exhaust on my Tundra. The tips are getting black, and I cannot get it off no matter how hard I scrub. ...
Can someone explain what causes this? Like is there something wrong with my truck, that needs fixin/ checked?
I have seen many TRD tips with black carbon build up. I think the design does not help. It has curled in metal at the tip that traps gases, condensation, etc. My straight polished tips after 9 years still look new, so, it makes me think.

You should be able to clean them with a good metal polish. If that fails, use the 0000 steel wool and you should be fine.

#6 ·
My guess is they used a bad batch of 304 since it's an inexpensive SS and commonly used by all types of machine shops. Which means it's a high production metal and the higher volume you produce, the higher your allowable defect rate. If they used 316 or 421, these tips may not have that corrosion problem.

FWIW, I clean my Magnaflow tip with the same SS cleaner I use on my refrigerator, stove, and dishwasher. Seems to do the trick with a non-scuff 3M scrubber.

#7 ·
Thanks for all the replies. So today, I tryed carb cleaner- which didn't work. Then I busted out the #0000 Steel Wool + QD + Windex + Never Dull and got 90% of it off. It took me 30 minutes on each tip scrubbing HARD as I can, that's how baked on that carbon stuff was on my tips. As jbtoy mentioned, the curled metal part was the most stubborn which is the 10% I couldn't get off. I was at the point where I didn't give a crap if I scratched my tips, as I was going beserk on em lol. Suprisingly there were no scratches, but then again the sun was going down by the time I finished. I'm loving steel wool atm because it got the job done, and is rather inexpensive. Seems like a clay bar made for metals.

Edit: NO more half assing the exhaust tips in the future during washes for me!

#11 ·
Home

Boms Away Metal Polish should easily clean that up. Best metal polish I have ever used. If you use Boms Away you probably wont even need the #0000 wool, just an old wash cloth will be fine. If they are really bad then use it with the #0000.
Jumbo, where do you find this stuff, without having to pay $9.00 for shipping...?

#12 ·
I just bought it from the site, but I bought about 4 bottles so it was easier. I first found this stuff at a motorcycle detail shop, but they've since gone out of business. The polish is so good, I really never thought too much about the shipping. I promise... its worth it.

These are the fenders off of my big trailer. The weather does a number on them. Here is a before and after of just how good Boms Away works. The fender in the back is just from Boms Away by hand with an old mf towel, took about 30 minutes. Amazing stuff.

#15 ·
I had contacted Corsa for the same problem. I could not get the black off of the tips. They emailed me back and recommended Mother's Billet Metal polish. Cleaned them up in just a few minutes.

#17 ·
Home

A word of warning. I ordered from this site on April 2nd and haven't heard a thing from them. Their website doesn't appear to be functioning properly any more and I've tried to e-mail and call with no luck. LUCKILY, I ordered with Pay Pal, so I MIGHT have a chance of getting my money back. I'm in the process of trying to work through that now. Oh well, I'll try and find another place to get it.

#19 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.