Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have success cleaning up the stock wheels (1st gen style)? Mine have been mucked up for awhile. The "permanent" brake dust is what is almost impossible to remove with anything I've tried (I'll have to admit that I haven't tried anything aggressive in fear that I'll make them look worse than they already do). Also, I'm wanting to remove the center caps and spray them to make them look better. Any suggestions or thoughts on this? Was throwing around the idea of painting them black but probably will chicken out and match the wheel color as best possible. Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, if you haven't cleaned them, mostly what happened to them is the brake dust crystalied & baked into the rim, forming a extremely hard build up. when this happens over a long period of time. almost nothing you can do.
gorilla

·
Registered
474 Posts
I've discovered that ceramic brake pads leave little dust and what little it produces is of a light color. From here on out, I'll use nothing else.
Go to Google and type in..."cleaning brake dust". Most automotive cleaning product companies make a product that will help you out. You can probably pick up something at your local Advance Auto, Auto Zone or Pep Boys type place that will take care of your build-up.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have had success with Simple Green and a tooth brush.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I noticed that going from "premium" aftermarket pads to OEM Toyota pads, all my brake dust problems went away. We used some mild
acid or something that I borrowed from my brothers bodyshop, it removed all the dust and grime, I'll have to find out what it was.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Yah, the front pads that come with the truck are killer on wheels. I've replaced my stock rims with aluminum and the brake dust pits the rim. I'm thinking of replacing my pads early (they still have meat on them) just to get away from all that brake dust. Question: Do the replacement OEM front brake pads give off less dust than the one's that came with the truck? I've read posts that the OEM pads perform well and don't give off dust. It that true?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I'm going to be painting my wheels tomorrow. Someone who had my truck before I did must have had a long gravel driveway, because they are all chipped up and missing a lot of paint. I'll let you know how it goes (and pics of course).

·
Registered
819 Posts
Man, I know I neglected my TRD/SR5 16" aluminum/alloy wheels. They are not bad on the outside but the insides/barrels are horrible from 7 years/101,800 miles and never cleaned, oh well, I, nor anyone else can see the insides anyway.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Okay, I painted my wheels today with the help of a friend, and they look AMAZING. Details and pictures to follow.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, glad it worked out.
now try to keep them clean.
since there painted , use only soapy water.
you can now polish for painted surfaces,seal for painted suffaces, & wax them to help protect them, & keep them looking there best. it will be alot easyer to clean to.
best of luck,
points given! it went through.
gorilla

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Here they are. I used silver duplicolor wheel paint, black krylon fusion black paint, and red toyota touchup paint. The wheel that hasn't been stripped was the best looking one out of my set, it hadn't been pitted for some reason.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts