Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, this weekend i wanted to clean my volant cai.
since volant told me it doesn't need to be changed
or i don't need to buy a new 1, which i wanted to do.

i used to have the K&N cai cleaner & oil.
i belive i gave it to someone, since i couldn't find it.

so i took out a brush, & a vaccume 6.5HP shop vac, which also has a blower.
so i brushed the out side, to get in the groves, than i tried to vaccume it.
that didn't seem to do anything.

so i used the blower again nothing.
it still looked dirty.

so i desided to use my hose.
from the inside out, i began to flush it, starting from the top & i went around.
all the way to the bottom.
than i did a top to bottom,all the way around.
i took a look at it. amazingly it's really clean.
i held it up to the sun & i can see through in every area, it was clean,
where before i couldn't see through it as well.

i took the blower & from the inside out. the water was coming out.
than i did the same from the out side. than inside again.
i held it tighly & from over my head towards the floor, exremely hard downward force, several time, nothing. i took a dry rag & laid it against the filter to see if there was any water. none. i let dry some more, & replaced it.

no oil used. it's light blue again.

by the way the VOLANT box was clean, no leaves, rock's, etc.

*next project is where i will try to clean my throttle body*.
with a cleaner & a lint free rag.
i'm sure it will be dirty.
but the last time i switched from my K&N cai to VOLANT is was crystal clean.

anything i should know?
or what to use as a cleaner.
i know you spray the cleaner to a lint free rag, & after all is cleaned, than push open the butterfly & clean inside.
any & all suggestion's will be appreciated.
gorilla

·
Registered
170 Posts

anything i should know?
i know you spray the cleaner to a lint free rag, & after all is cleaned, than push open the butterfly & clean inside.
gorilla[/QUOTE]

I did a thorough throttle body cleaning two weekends ago. I decided to re-install my stock intake, so since I had everything off I went ahead and did it.

I purchased the 3M 3-stage tune-up kit, which in my opinion was a waste of money so far. Do yourself a favor and just buy another brand of throttle body cleaner and fuel system cleaner, as that will be cheaper than the $50.00 for the 3-stage kit which also has the intake manifold cleaner which I have seen no benefit from so far. The throttle body cleaner lasted maybe 10 sprays (useless).

I decided to take the throttle body completely off to thoroughly clean inside as well as behind it. I have to admit it was cleaner than I thought it would be, however there was a substantial amount of carbon build-up in the opening. So, I took it off to have easy access to the throttle body and to prevent anything from falling into the intake manifold. It was a minor PITA to get it off, but nothing a little persistence wouldn't solve. I would advise taking a look at the haynes or chilton manual before hand to make sure you do it right.

So, to the cleaning. I used a lot of cleaner and a toothbrush to scrub everything off. To get the stubborn carbon build-up I used fine grit sandpaper to gently sand it off the plate as well as the walls of the TB. After everything was sparkly again I blasted the entire TB again with cleaner and wiped everything down to get the fine particles from sanding off. Then, another quick blast all around because the cleaner is also a lubricant.

Then, I installed a new TB gasket (imperative to use a new one!) and hooked the TB back up.

Results:
I have my low end torque back!
I will test the gas mileage next time I fill up.
Shifting has been improved substantially! No more shift lag when giving it some gas, smooth shifting between gears, very smooth downshifting.

P.S. let me know if you have questions about doing it, it was pretty simple.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi, you might be right.
but after i called them they told me, i don't need to even clean if for 100,000 miles.
so i didn't need to buy a new 1.
they also told me i'm not suppose to oil it.
there kit, which i have seen ,is just like the K&N.
and we all know how many people feels about the oil issue.
so why not just clean it & put it back.
when i 1st recieved the volant, it wasn't oiled.
i checked.
it was the dry filter.

this must be a new process.

i'd rather listen to the many on the forum's & not oil a cai.
although i know how to oil the cai filter since i had the K&N cai.
and sold it cleaned & oiled for a member here.
plus a few free items flamed antenna, & i belive a emblem for around $75, almost brand new.

it's o.k. opinions vary.
if i need to down the road, i will buy the kit. that's penny's.
so far so good, & there filter i thought was paper with wire mesh to protect it.
take care, & thanks for your thoughts,
gorilla

Volant sells a cleaning kit for a reason.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi thankyou for the advise, i will use it.
i also tried to give you points ,but as usual it wouldn't allow me.
i must have given them to you recently.
but i will again, when allowed. so know there on the way.
even if it's in another post.
thanks,
gorilla

anything i should know?
gorilla
I did a thorough throttle body cleaning two weekends ago. I decided to re-install my stock intake, so since I had everything off I went ahead and did it.

I purchased the 3M 3-stage tune-up kit, which in my opinion was a waste of money so far. Do yourself a favor and just buy another brand of throttle body cleaner and fuel system cleaner, as that will be cheaper than the $50.00 for the 3-stage kit which also has the intake manifold cleaner which I have seen no benefit from so far. The throttle body cleaner lasted maybe 10 sprays (useless).

I decided to take the throttle body completely off to thoroughly clean inside as well as behind it. I have to admit it was cleaner than I thought it would be, however there was a substantial amount of carbon build-up in the opening. So, I took it off to have easy access to the throttle body and to prevent anything from falling into the intake manifold. It was a minor PITA to get it off, but nothing a little persistence wouldn't solve. I would advise taking a look at the haynes or chilton manual before hand to make sure you do it right.

So, to the cleaning. I used a lot of cleaner and a toothbrush to scrub everything off. To get the stubborn carbon build-up I used fine grit sandpaper to gently sand it off the plate as well as the walls of the TB. After everything was sparkly again I blasted the entire TB again with cleaner and wiped everything down to get the fine particles from sanding off. Then, another quick blast all around because the cleaner is also a lubricant.

Then, I installed a new TB gasket (imperative to use a new one!) and hooked the TB back up.

Results:
I have my low end torque back!
I will test the gas mileage next time I fill up.
Shifting has been improved substantially! No more shift lag when giving it some gas, smooth shifting between gears, very smooth downshifting.

P.S. let me know if you have questions about doing it, it was pretty simple.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
hi, you might be right.
but after i called them they told me, i don't need to even clean if for 100,000 miles.

they also told me i'm not suppose to oil it.
there kit, which i have seen ,is just like the K&N.
and we all know how many people feels about the oil issue.
so why not just clean it & put it back.
when i 1st recieved the volant, it wasn't oiled.
i checked.
it was the dry filter.

this must be a new process.

i'd rather listen to the many on the forum's & not oil a cai.
although i know how to oil the cai filter since i had the K&N cai.
From the Volant website:

PR0 5 FILTERS: Volant's high performance 5 layer (4 cotton gauze / 1 Synthetic) air filters are made of the highest quality textiles, pleated between a top and bottom aluminum screen. Each filter comes pre-oiled and ready for use. This design will allow the highest air flow rate possible and a very long filter life. Use this two stage kit to thoroughly clean and re-oil the high flow Pro-5 performance filters. We recommend cleaning the filter only when very dirty or 12,000 miles

The oil is used to aid in filtering the air. While I have seen many on here advising against using an oiled filter, I have yet to see anyone running a K&N, Volant, or any other oiled filter dry. But it's your engine, so whatever blows your skirt up.:tu: FYI, Volant's Powercore filter is a dry filter good for 100,000 miles, but they don't have one for our CAI. I already looked into it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the Volant CAI setup on my 08 Tundra. I feel like I lost power with this on. I also have flowmasters. Is the stock intake better?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi, o.k than i can easyly go buy the kit & oil it.
any cai, is make for top end.
or ,when you step on it. it will provide more hp & torque.
but just running around the city normaly i would keep it stock.
or even if your on the highway, and you set the cruise control at 65 or 70 whatever the speed limit is,
the stock is the way to go.
but if you use top end, mash the gas, it just doesn't make noise, it does provide slightly more power.
just my .02cents
gorilla

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hi, yes less MPG, but much better looking, thats some of each trade off, of every mod.
gorilla

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Gorilla,

I just wanted to thank you for all the input you've put forth here on TS.

I just ordered my Volant CAI today and am extremely anxious to get it into my truck!

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hi, i try to give info, that i have, due to my experiences.
i hope that it help's.
thanks,
gorilla

·
Registered
60 Posts
Gorilla,
Just an FYI, I cleaned my Volant filter (which looks like any other K&N cone filter) a few months ago with the K&N recharge kit, and have no problems. When you spray it down with the cleaner, the material does fade to white, just like a K&N will do. Hose it out with water, let it dry, then spay in the oil.

My co-worker has an 09 Tundra, and the Volant CAI filter on that thing is funky. It looks like a huge catalytic converter (as far as the filter goes), and I don't think it'd be possilbe to clean that thing.

·
Registered
366 Posts
i currently have jba headers and true duals with a x pipe and glass packs and was wanting to get a cai just for the fact that im fixing to get a unichip at the end of the summer to help push the 35s. i was just wandering if getting the cai would be worth it when i dont really push my truck to hard anymore. i have done a lot of research on both the unichip and the cai's and know that the chip really brings them to life or so people say. anyways just your thoughts on if i should get it or not. thanks gorilla you always have good info.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hello,
honestly, if thats the case, you might want to save your money.

cai are good for top end.
& unichip although it's has so many benifits. it also makes more HP & torque.
it provides better shifting.

or it might be worth getting them both since you have big tires to roll.
thats your choise.
but it's about a grand for both.
something to think about.

wait a while, & in a few months, than make your decision.
no need to rush & do this.
gorilla

·
Registered
366 Posts
hello,
honestly, if thats the case, you might want to save your money.

cai are good for top end.
& unichip although it's has so many benifits. it also makes more HP & torque.
it provides better shifting.

or it might be worth getting them both since you have big tires to roll.
thats your choise.
but it's about a grand for both.
something to think about.

wait a while, & in a few months, than make your decision.
no need to rush & do this.
gorilla
well in about 3 weeks im putting 37s on and will def need some more ponys. i took a semester off from college to go work for my dad know that everything i earned would go into my truck... sense i have the money i prob will before i end up spending it something ill regret later on. thanks for your advice

1 - 19 of 19 Posts