Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever put that 3M clearshield stuff on their tailgate? I noticed when I was doing some work this past week, its hard to reach under and grab the tailgate handle when closing it. As thin as the paint is, I am concerned about grabbing the painted portion of the tailgate with a dirty glove and scratching my paint.

I was gonna take it to a local shop and get a qoute to put clearshield on the whole tailgate to protect the paint a little better. Any thoughts on the matter?

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
my neighbor had the dealer do it on his dodge. hes a contractor and regularly carries long loads and drives with his tailgate down. he did it for rock chips etc since its down. cant tell its there. just alittle difference in the shine like on the front end covers but nothing too bad.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Can't see why not, prolly not to bad an idea, take the gate off lay it flat and go to town laying it on, I did my front end and front of fenders and under headlights with the 3M stuff a few years ago, doesnt lift and you can even polish/wax it if you get minor marks in it, if i were you I would not have any reservations on doing it on the gate at all ... would be really cheap if you do it yourself, however thats a big peice of it so if you have no experience with it might be tricky, but not all that tough ... just takes time.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
i know theres a guy in dallas that the maserati/benz/rolls/bently/porsche/etc dealership group uses that does whole sheets for hoods etc. apparently those owners done like the seam so they have to cover it from panel gap to panel gap. but apparently going that large of a sheet is very expensive.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Yeah I wouldnt like that seam on a car either ... I bet thats a pain to do a whole hood, the more curves and valleys makes it very tough to do ... I really dont think the material is all that expensive, maybe $100.00 to do a whole hood, but labor on something like that would be very expensive, I did mine and know how tough it is to do the front of a hood, I would never attempt a whole hood unless it was fairly flat.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
I have had it on my tailgate (and many other places) for over a year now. Helps a LOT

1 - 6 of 6 Posts