Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday @ the beach when leaving I noticed while in 4 wheel drive as I would speed up a loud clicking noise or sound is present. Go back to 2 wheel drive no noise. Put back in 4 and faster I go louder it gets. I am open for all thelp I can get. It's a new on for me. You can hear it on pavement when tested but lot louder in soft sand.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i would think that the front is not going into 4wd. put it in neutral then put it in 4 hi, back to drive & then drive. try that out a few times. the manual says you are supposed to actuate 4wd every once in a while to keep the parts lubricated etc. maybe your's has not been used in a while and is not shifting all the way into 4wd.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Next time you try it turn off the traction control. it might have been the abs pump activiating the brakes to control wheel spin.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Going to drop off @ dealer 7am tomorrow. I know the guys there and they say they have never seen this issue. I seen a TSB that relates to my issue but says in 2 wd only. I will post what dealer says tomorrow.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
i would say that its a CV joint but they will make noise regardless of being in 4WD and usually make the clicking noise when turning. but being in sand can ruin a lot of moving parts.hope the dealer can find the problem.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just found out today that the transfer case has a internal failure. **** is coming apart. The service advisor said Toyota warranty has a inspector looking at it and they will only rebuild the unit with new internal parts. No swap. What can I say !! I have no option but let Toyota do what they only approve. Will follow up Monday when I know more.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry took so long to get back. 11 days at the dealership. Repairs consisted of complete rebuilt transfer case. Not a swap. Toyota has a TSB for the tech to rebuild it with new parts. Have not had a chance to test the 4 wheel drive yet. Tomorrow I will update with all parts that where used. I was surprised they did not just put a whole new unit in there. Instead they rebuilt it @ the dealership for some reason when I filled my truck the next day my trip to empty was reading 421 miles. Usually it reads around 310-320. Funny...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sorry took so long to get back. 11 days at the dealership. Repairs consisted of complete rebuilt transfer case. Not a swap. Toyota has a TSB for the tech to rebuild it with new parts. Have not had a chance to test the 4 wheel drive yet. Tomorrow I will update with all parts that where used. I was surprised they did not just put a whole new unit in there. Instead they rebuilt it @ the dealership for some reason when I filled my truck the next day my trip to empty was reading 421 miles. Usually it reads around 310-320. Funny...

It read 421 because the computer had been reset. Give it some driving time and it will knock back down to 321.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
13 Posts
So second snow of the season here in Colorado and my wife calls me up and says that the 05 Sequoia is making a crazy "clicking noise" when she engaged the 4 wheel drive. I get home and test it out and hear the exact same sound that she described! Only on the front passenger wheel area...I took the sequoia out and put it in 4HI and 4LOW, turned off and on the differential but the sound continued while the 4 wheel drive was engaged only...it would not make any sound while in 2 wheel drive.

You guys think that this would be the same type of situation, that I would need a whole new transfer case??? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
91 Posts
my 08 tundra made that clicking sound when I would switch from 4 to 2wd. I would stop, back up abt 20' and put it back in drive and it would stop. I took it to the dealer and they couldn't get it to reproduce for over a year. I took it 2 months ago and had the mgr ride with me. He explained everything to tech and they ended up replacing my whole front axle. 3400 bux. Good thing it was under warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yesterday @ the beach when leaving I noticed while in 4 wheel drive as I would speed up a loud clicking noise or sound is present. Go back to 2 wheel drive no noise. Put back in 4 and faster I go louder it gets. I am open for all thelp I can get. It's a new on for me. You can hear it on pavement when tested but lot louder in soft sand.
Hey so mine makes this clicking noise but only in revers in 4wd any ideas what it could be

1 - 20 of 20 Posts