Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the climate control cluster, when the temperature is set all the way down (MAX COLD) every time when I turn the car on, the recirculation button is lit (on). Is there a way to turn it off so it stays off? I rather have outside air entering the cabin. I checked the manual but wasn't able to find what I am looking for. There is a mention that this option may turn on sometimes but in my case it is always on.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2003 Sequoia SR5. It appears that in order to disable the auto recirculation feature I need to keep the temperature setting one click above the MAX COLD at 65F. The problem is that if i.e. there is 50F outside, the automatic climate control will turn the heat on to keep the cabin at 65F. I want whatever temperature the air is outside to enter the cabin. Not possible currently without turning the recirculation off every time I get in the car.

·
Registered
2002 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4x4
206 Posts
I don't think the system will let you do what you want to do with it. It's not like a GM style VENT setting that free-flows outside air into the cabin.
The guy that forgot the VENT setting must have been the same guy that forgot the single wipe setting for the windshield wipers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
On the climate control cluster, when the temperature is set all the way down (MAX COLD) every time when I turn the car on, the recirculation button is lit (on). Is there a way to turn it off so it stays off? I rather have outside air entering the cabin. I checked the manual but wasn't able to find what I am looking for. There is a mention that this option may turn on sometimes but in my case it is always on.
When the temperature is set to MAX, the recirculation is automatic, since this is the setting that will cool the fastest inside the cab. If you want fresh air, turn the thermostat to the lowest point BEFORE the MAX setting and ensure the recirculation light is off and the A/C button is ON. That will bring fresh air into the cab over the A/C cooling fins and cool the cab with fresh air from outside.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Every Toyota I have owned has done this. Here's the trick. When you turn the dial all the way to max cold, you will feel a detent as you get to the end of travel for the knob. This detent is the outside air vent closing. The idea here is that the air in the cabin of your vehicle that has already been cooled by the A/C will continue to cool faster than bringing in fresh outdoor air. If you want max cooling AND fresh outdoor air, turn the knob clockwise just a little and you will feel the detent release. The A/C will still be at max chill but it will be working on fresh air instead of recycled cabin air. Best of Luck!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When the temperature is set to MAX, the recirculation is automatic, since this is the setting that will cool the fastest inside the cab. If you want fresh air, turn the thermostat to the lowest point BEFORE the MAX setting and ensure the recirculation light is off and the A/C button is ON. That will bring fresh air into the cab over the A/C cooling fins and cool the cab with fresh air from outside.
I know that this is how it works. The problem is that if the temperature outside is lower than inside the cabin and the AC is off, there is no way automatic recirculation will cool the cabin.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Every Toyota I have owned has done this. Here's the trick. When you turn the dial all the way to max cold, you will feel a detent as you get to the end of travel for the knob. This detent is the outside air vent closing. The idea here is that the air in the cabin of your vehicle that has already been cooled by the A/C will continue to cool faster than bringing in fresh outdoor air. If you want max cooling AND fresh outdoor air, turn the knob clockwise just a little and you will feel the detent release. The A/C will still be at max chill but it will be working on fresh air instead of recycled cabin air. Best of Luck!
Thanks but I am looking for a solution when the AC is off not on. Just as SilverSasquatch wrote, I am just looking for the VENT setting which I see now is missing and on top of that Toyota figured out that enabling recirculation automatically will be a good option.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts