Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Highlander. The other day the clock completely went out. I checked all of the fuses and they were all fine...next day the a/c controls went out...now only the fan blows on defrost mode. I had a mechanic look at it and he said it was the control board which the part alone will cost over $800..I have read about the heater problems that people were having and I am wondering if it stems from the same or similar problem. I don't have $800++ and with no a/c in Florida it is going to be a sticky summer..

Any suggestions????

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I have a 2002 Highlander. The other day the clock completely went out. I checked all of the fuses and they were all fine...next day the a/c controls went out...now only the fan blows on defrost mode. I had a mechanic look at it and he said it was the control board which the part alone will cost over $800..I have read about the heater problems that people were having and I am wondering if it stems from the same or similar problem. I don't have $800++ and with no a/c in Florida it is going to be a sticky summer..

Any suggestions????

I have no idea where that PC board is, but if you can get it out without bending or scratching it.

It should be easy to fix with a 15 watt (pencil type) soldering iron and some patience.

Or a junk yard PC board would work too ... just make sure you can take it back if it does not work.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Usually when the heat control knob goes out, that's all that goes out. If the whole radio/hvac control panel is removed (seven~ish bolts and five wiring harnesses) and replugged in and still doesn't work, I'm still not sure it's the body ecu or the hvac control unit. This could be mice living in the dash, water damage... etc. But, the control unit is where I would start since it's cheap, easy to get to, and removing it you can see what's going on behind it.

Don't buy a 800 dollar board, call a junkyard or buy a used one one ebay. Even one with a bad heat control knob will be better than nothing.

Seriously, ebay highlander control and they are sub 200 bucks:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-0...Q5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_2797wt_1165

I guess that's where I would start. And you could certainly be doing this yourself, use a butterknife to remove the trim, a few bolts come straight out. The wiring only fits where it's supposed to go... etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts