Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick background: I recently changed out my oxygen sensors on my 2002 Toyota Highlander V6. I got the difficult to reach one at the rear of the engine out by myself. However, the front one under the engine manifold proved impossible, as it had heat fused to the manifold. There was no other way aside from removal of the manifold it could be freed. I took it to Midas - who advised that a new manifold would have to be obtained and installed (which they got OEM from Toyota).*

THE PROBLEM: I picked up the vehicle yesterday evening. The repair job looks fine, however I noticed that the clock was acting funny, showing 1:00 each time I started the ignition. Then it completely shut off this evening when I drove home at rush hour. That and the heating cooling unit. The clock is dark and the A/C unit controls will not light. The air level knob works (low to high), the air temperature knob (cold to heat) works, but the directional knob will only allow air to blow through the windshield defrost setting and the only air vent it will blow through is the windshield defrost - air does not come out from anywhere else, regardless of whether you have it on feet only, head only, head and feet.

Radio still works, as does dome light and door panel lights. I checked the fuse box and replaced the 7.5 fuse associated with the clock. No change. Midas did a check of their work - everything was plugged back in, the fuses were all okay. They suggested it was in the head unit.

I'm aware of the documented issues with the heating knobs coming loose or wires breaking, but what about the clock? * That to me suggests perhaps a relay? What might have caused that to go out? * Is it wired in conjunction with the heating/AC unit?

I'm willing to buy an identical head unit off eBay but if it's a wiring issue, then that wouldn't solve the problem. How could I test that?

Thanks!

--

·
Registered
290 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues. :( That stinks.

If you do end up needing a factory Highlander head unit, email me. I took mine out shortly after buying the 2005 highlander new and replaced it with an aftermarket radio. I would sell min factory head unit to you for a good price. It has Radio and CD player in it.

I hope you get your problem fixed soon.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts