Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be hauling 18 pieces of 4x6 lumber. Each piece is about 12 feet long and my bed length is 6.5 feet.

Should I stack them with the tailgate up or down?? I'm thinking tailgate up, but I dont want the tailgate to give out.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Shouldn't need more than one bungee cord to hold it all down :)
I woulda thought they would be more stable with the tailgate down. That's a lot of overhang. 4-5 feet, but you'll have it either way. If you had the tailgate down, but put a couple of bags of mulch or something at the end of the bed and rested the lumber on them, it would tilt them slightly forward, AND keep any weight off the tailgate. You can then tie down to keep it shifting. Just an idea.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Shouldn't need more than one bungee cord to hold it all down :)
I woulda thought they would be more stable with the tailgate down. That's a lot of overhang. 4-5 feet, but you'll have it either way. If you had the tailgate down, but put a couple of bags of mulch or something at the end of the bed and rested the lumber on them, it would tilt them slightly forward, AND keep any weight off the tailgate. You can then tie down to keep it shifting. Just an idea.
That sounds like a good idea to me too.

·
Premium Member
5,471 Posts
Here's another thought.
Spring for a 4x8 sheet of plywood and lay it flat on the bed before you load the 4x6's. It will take some load off the tailgate, and keep the 4x6's from sliding.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have done this several times. Put the gate down as if it is up the wood will swing around and shift. A good tie down strap or rope works great as well. Tie the rope around all of the wood and the end of the truck and anchor it to the front bed anchors. A couple of 60 sand bags are disposable and hold everything in place.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i was carrying two plywood sheets a while ago and when i was loading the truck they slide right in (I have a plastic liner on the bed), so i'm assuming they would slide right out too...a tie-down wouldn't even hold them in... i ended up closing the tailgate to move them

i'm thinking, tailgate down, with a 2x4 going across the end of the bed to keep the weight off the tailgateand a tie-down to keep the lumber from moving around

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Put the gate down and just make sure its strapped down good with wratchet straps. Only gonna have @3.5' hangin over, and those arent flexible sticks. GL whatever you choose to do. Be safe bro.

·
Registered
274 Posts
.......Make sure you ratchet tie the lumber once it's in.
could not agree more. invest in a decent set of ratchet straps. its not fun driving down the road and your bungee style cords are flying off like rubber bands on bumps and drivers behind you are peed off lol. heard it could happen....:eek:

·
Registered
859 Posts
could not agree more. invest in a decent set of ratchet straps. its not fun driving down the road and your bungee style cords are flying off like rubber bands on bumps and drivers behind you are peed off lol. heard it could happen....:eek:
Where's your sense of adventure???? One bungee cord will do the job! seen many a overloaded tuck with nothing but gravity, a bungee cord and a prayer holding the load on!!

Seriously, DITTO big time on a good set of ties. You will use them more than you think.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Borrow a trailer.............and remember to keep those windows closed!!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Borrow a trailer.............and remember to keep those windows closed!!!
:D

Where's your sense of adventure????....
went out the door as i watched the load shifting around and thinking about the beating i was going to take from jacking up the amg benz behind me :angrywife:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
You don't need no stinking bungee cord, rope, string or any other girly junk. Those big manly timbers won't move cause they're too heavy.

I would rent a trailer to haul them but thats just me.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
If you're in a bind, just use some twine from the pull-outs at the exits from places like Lowe's and HD. You can tie them to any number of places and you should be alright... again, tail-gate down! I use a general rule of thumb for keeping the tailgate up with anything "leaning" against it... no more than 200 lbs and 1/2 the bed length (I have a CM so, with the 5.5' bed I don't put anything longer than 8' boards sticking out. Now, If I'm carrying like 20, 8' 2x4s and I have a couple of 10' or 12' 2x4s, that is fine, but I would definitely not do something like 20 or 30 10' or 12' 2x4s with the tailgate up. That's just me and I may be overly cautious, but with those plastic bed liners, things slide a lot more easily than you would think. Take it easy!

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
now i probally wouldnt do this with that much lumber, as its going to get heavy, btu any time ive brought home long lengths like tha i just use the slider, put a floor mat upside down on the dash and run the boards through the slider onto the dash and rest on the tailgate. then just tie it down to the track at the front of the bed and tie from the stack to each back corner.

but then again, that would be driving with a window open and might generate a design flaw thread...

harbor freight has a neat thing that goes in the trailer hitch
that to me would be worth it. its on my list of things to get next time im over tehre just to have. that would solve the problem easily.

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

·
Registered
987 Posts
I've done this plenty of times. Tailgate down, ratchet straps, no big deal.......The tailgate will have less risk of damage down than up, plus it will help support the load.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts