Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '06 Tundra has an under-the-cab clunk/thud when turning left or right, sudden/hard turns, feels like something is shifting side to side.

A shop checked the trans mount on the crossmember, all the front-end, motor mounts, body mounts .... not sure what else to check, it's driving me nuts.
Felt right below where you seat, under the floor board ...

Anybody have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
Is it the guy you ran down during the protests?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hoping for some serious replies .....

The noise doesn't show up when doing a tight turn.

If I'm driving 5-20 mph (or so) and I yank the wheel to one side, the thud shows up.
If I yank it again to the same side, the noise doesn't show up again until I yank it to the other side, so that whatever's shifting under there shifts again and makes the thud.

I also heard it today when I drove over some uneven ground in snow in 4wd ... only about a 40-foot drive, since I was driving down my unpaved second driveway, but something was definitely banging around under the truck, and it felt like maybe from middle of the truck undercarriage?

·
Registered
554 Posts
I had two similar issues on my '01 that created a thump on the floorboards. The first was a tight lower ball joint that would sometimes sieze and then suddenly let go when being rotated during a turn. It did not show up as a loose or warn ball joint in the usual way of checking. I actually had to place my hand on it while having my girlfriend slowly turning the steering wheel ( vehicle jacked up ). I could feel light vibrations that led me to investigate further. Upon removal of the ball joint I felt stiff areas while trying to tilt it back and forth, there were no loose areas normally assocaited with worn ball joints. When the problem would happen was only on tight turns which made it tough to diagnose. The second issue at another time was a loose nut on a front sway bar link assembly ( passenger side ). Under heavy bumps or turning on inclines would cause enough of a shock through the frame that was felt on the floorboards.

Other components that can do it is body mounts. I have also felt floorboard knocks from rear leaf spring inter-leaf bushings when they get worn out or break away. These are the pads that are between the leaf springs on the ends of the spring pack. Just about any noise or vibration that can be transfered into the frame can be felt on the floorboards.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think I may have a very similar problem, but I most often notice it during slow turns on wet surfaces. My first thought was the ball joints, as Hi Volt mentioned, but the more I feel it the more I think it comes from the rear of the truck. I have a leaf spring rattle pad missing on one side, as was also mentioned, but if it doesn't go away when I replace that I want to investigate the rear diff as a cause - I keep thinking about how this occurs when the rear wheels start turning at different speeds. Do you have an open diff like I do? Sorry if this doesn't make sense, im still pretty green as far as mechanical work goes.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I think I may have a very similar problem, but I most often notice it during slow turns on wet surfaces. My first thought was the ball joints, as Hi Volt mentioned, but the more I feel it the more I think it comes from the rear of the truck. I have a leaf spring rattle pad missing on one side, as was also mentioned, but if it doesn't go away when I replace that I want to investigate the rear diff as a cause - I keep thinking about how this occurs when the rear wheels start turning at different speeds. Do you have an open diff like I do? Sorry if this doesn't make sense, im still pretty green as far as mechanical work goes.
With regards to a rear noise from springs; on a rear turn you will get a suspension lean that will cause the springs to compress and relax on each side depending on the direction of the turn. Missing pads will allow the springs to slap under these conditions. These pads also keep the spring leaves moving smoothly as their length will slightly change ( in relation to each other) under compression/relaxation. Missing pads can cause wear to form a dip which will eventually act as a "catch" as the spring moves. Replacing any missing pads will allieviate any additonal problems from this wear.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Seat mounts?

·
Registered
265 Posts
My '06 Tundra has an under-the-cab clunk/thud when turning left or right, sudden/hard turns, feels like something is shifting side to side.

A shop checked the trans mount on the crossmember, all the front-end, motor mounts, body mounts .... not sure what else to check, it's driving me nuts.
Felt right below where you seat, under the floor board ...

Anybody have any ideas?
I found the factory pivot thru bolt connecting the upper control arm to the frame was loose on the drivers side. It would slide back and forth as I turned the steering wheel, drove over things like speed bumps, or the shallow v-drainage channels in the roadway etc.
See page 3 of this pdf file.
http://www.chaosfab.com/PDF/install/97500.pdf

·
8,506 Posts
I found the factory pivot thru bolt connecting the upper control arm to the frame was loose on the drivers side. It would slide back and forth as I turned the steering wheel, drove over things like speed bumps, or the shallow v-drainage channels in the roadway etc.
See page 3 of this pdf file.
http://www.chaosfab.com/PDF/install/97500.pdf
That's a new one! Did the nut just back itself off?

·
Registered
265 Posts
That's a new one! Did the nut just back itself off?
I would have to say the nut must have backed off on it's own.

I noticed it (a clunk) one morning going over a speed bump. It was quite pronounced doing a couple of different things. Turning the steering wheel sharply, jerking it both in directions, applying the brakes firmly to dip the front and hard tapping on the brake pedal bouncing the front of the truck. All of this going very slow of course.

I knew it had to be something loose in the front end. I suspected it was originating from the driver side. I did a visual inspection to look for anything that showed signs of fresh wear. Saw nothing obvious.

Next, I got the biggest screwdriver I have...(about 18") and used it to pry about in a few places. After about 5 minutes with the screwdriver, I found the Thru Bolt was loose. The nut was as you said, backed off. The Upper Control Arm was sliding back and forth on the Thru Bolt.

I was lucky to have found it before sustaining any damage. Needless to say I re-torqued the Thru Bolt on both upper control arms.

Yeah, a new one for sure. Who would have thought.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll hopefully find out tomorrow what the F is going on.

I have an 8AM appt to have the new strut mounts installed that I wanted installed when I brought them the front 5100's and new lower control arms ... they decided to re-use the stock strut mounts since they looked OK and wanted to save me money. So they said.
I was bummed they didn't install ALL the new parts I brought them, and now with this noise showing up, they're gonna install the mounts for free, hoping that it'll fix this issue.
I don't think it'll fix it, and I may not even have them do it.
We'll put the truck up and start checking things out more thoroughly, especially in the rear, where something might be shifting and transmitting the symptom forward.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
New strut mounts in, problem still there.

Items checked today and found tight:
Front diff rear mount, upper control arm bolts, stabilizer links, leaf-spring u-bolts, rear driveshaft center bearing bolts, front axle shafts, spare tire.

Took a bunch of pictures, will upload them as soon as I get a minute, might not be till tomorrow though, they still need to be edited, they're currently 4MB files, lol.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's not a rolling sound, it's a thud. Something's shifting to the left when I take a sudden right turn, and the other way when I take a sudden left turn.
Also heard/felt when I drive more aggressively than a 90-yr-old woman, so pretty much every time I turn, lol

I started thinking it might be related to the 5100's ... when I searched "Bilstein 5100 noise" a ton of threads popped up on Google on various forums with people complaining of thud, clunk or squeaking noises after installing 5100's ...

The new pics taken yesterday, I'm posting them hoping that somebody watching this thread might see something that I've overlooked.

Left axle:

Right axle:

Rear diff mount:

Old strut mounts:

Right side of rack area:

Left side of rack area:

Trans mount:

Left-front suspension:

Right-front suspension:

Rear suspension:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Any chance when you have the front end up off the ground on jack stands did you start the truck and cycle the front from full right to full left? I might try it also with the ending off and with the steering unlocked and see if you can feel anything? I had a clunk under my seat on an older toyota 4x4 for years, thought it was old CV joints and even replaced them with no help. Finally changed my lower ball joints on the truck and the problem was solved.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The left end of your front stabilizer bar is disconnected, I'm assuming that's not intentional?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Actually, unless I'm horribly mistaken I think I see it disconnected on both sides - that sure could cause a clunk.

Edit: I'm stupid, nevermind.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a vibration and shiver between 60-70 mph possibly on overdrive while applying little burden on the gas pedal. The vehicle was shaking now and then (through the seats, shifter, directing wheel and so forth), not generally. I turned the tires and no more issue. I trust its the equivalent. That is the point at which I comprehended why great tires is ideal and what number of worry there is on tires.
Sarkari Result Pnr Status 192.168.1.1

1 - 20 of 20 Posts