Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When driving very slowly such as manuevering in my driveway I get this clunking or binding sensation through the steering wheel. Its very slight but noticeable and I think I can hear it click faintly when it occurs. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
It may be the steering rack bushings. Watch it while someone else turns the wheel back and forth and see how much it moves. When mine wore out I could hear a clicking noise, but I don't remember if I could feel it through the steering wheel or not.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll check that...thanks!

BTW, I recall seeing another thread concerning this issue some time ago, but after trying to search for it I gave up. If anyone knows which one I'm referring to and can hook me up with a link that would be great...tia.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Well, did you find the problem?

Mine turned out to be the steering rack, to the tune of 400 bucks for the unit. hope to put it in Sunday.

·
Registered
4 Posts
check your CV joints, i had a clunk like you describe and when i got under the truck i found one of the clamps on CV boot was loose and lots of grease sprayed out, all i did was refill the boot with grease and put on new clamp, no clunking anymore.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know its been awhile since I posted this thread, but I don't think anything on the exterior of the truck is responsible for the symptoms I described. It sounds and feels as if the issue is right there at the steering wheel. Is there anything between the wheel and column that could wear out or need re-tightening?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Did you do the steering rack test? Like Johnny said, get under the truck and watch the steering rack as someone turns the wheel back and forth; with the truck running of course. If the bushings are bad, the rack will move side to side as you turn the wheel. I had around 90,000 miles on my truck when I noticed the rack bushings were f*cked.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I know its been awhile since I posted this thread, but I don't think anything on the exterior of the truck is responsible for the symptoms I described. It sounds and feels as if the issue is right there at the steering wheel. Is there anything between the wheel and column that could wear out or need re-tightening?
Hey Yamatoy, Did you ever resolve this issue? I am having the same problem. Definitely in the steering column and not in the front end. Thanks.

·
Registered
431 Posts
guys, ive had this issue for a while, chaseintegra knows, its HELLA bad in hot weather. im actually bringing it to a very good private mechanic tomorrow, we'll see what he says. it most definitely seems to be in the linkage between the wheel and the rack, DEFinitely a feeling more than a noise.

feels loose when it knocks right? BAD over train tracks?

had it on my 1st tundra before i totalled it, ive replaced the rack, lower shaft, intermediate shaft, and upper shaft (AND modified it similar to what some tacoma guys do)

i worked at a stealership for 5 years, and none of the techs, (all of which i consider my personal friends, including the foreman) have any ideas.

im trying a new set of eyes, ears, hands tomorrow to try to figure this out. i HATE it

·
Registered
431 Posts
F22, did you find out what the problem was?

hey man, yea i did actually ...ok here's the deal

the coupler between the lower shaft and the intermediate shaft was loose, the bottom bolt.

--> here's why. i had replaced EVERYTHING from the OTREs, the rack, up the the upper shaft that goes through the column.

my LAST repair/modification/replacement was on that upper shaft. a lot of tacoma guys experience play in the slip joint that should collapse in the event of an accident so the wheel doesnt hit you in the chest.. ok.. that joint is NOT splined... they take out the upper shaft and either tac-weld it, or drill through it and tap a roll pin through the hole. it locks the inner and outer parts in line with eachother. GREAT FIX... HOWEVER is a LOT freakin harder in our trucks, column doesnt come out as easy, and you need a special puller to get the two pivot pins (they have female screw openings in them) out of the Tilting part of the steering wheel.

needless to say, i DID it with a few guys at my toyota shop that i worked at as a service adviser. and it was 90% gone at the time.

this was in the winter -- metal shrinks -- pinch couplers and bolts are tighter (and i assume in all of my crazy changing things and taking them apart and putting them back together, i left the bottom pinch bolt on that coupler juuuuust loose enough)

FAST forward 5 months, when we had a streak of 4 days over 100deg, AND i drove 3 hours down to Cape May, it was a bad combo... the pinch coupler got VERY loose and i guess the bolt backed out even more.

when i dropped it off at the private shop on thursday, the guy had an answer for me within an HOUR! i was SHOCKED but thats ALL it was...

now, im NOT saying that that coupler is the source of all of our problems. what i AM saying, is that the play in the upper shaft IS. MY play and clunk came back when the coupler came loose.

id say its 99% gone now (and probably because im freakin PARANOID and keep trying to feel it to make SURE its gone) BUT steering is tight on the highway, aside from a little rack wander, and it doesnt click back and forth like crazy with my out-of-balance tire shimmy (KM-2's :D) no click or pop feeling or play in the wheel over train tracks or ANY little flippin pothole.

when i HAD ACTUALLY fixed it this winter, i had bought a new upper shaft then tac welded where the upper half inserts into the lower half, tac'd it on two sides (its kindof a rounded rectangle) then installed it in replacement of the original. when i had the original out, there was DEFINITely play and clicking in it (very minute because of the size (maybe an inch across)) but it was AMPlified through the wheel because of the larger circumference = more "feelable" play

the problem for you guys will be actually GETTING to that upper shaft, my dealership would NEVER do it on the books and legit, AND we had to wait for the ONE tech out of 12 that had the right puller.

so the long and the short of it - - - its the slip joint in the upper shaft between the intermediate and the tilt ball. JUST like in the tacomas

hope that helps just hope you guys can get to it :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Glad you got it fixed. Usually low speed clunking and popping is a ball joint or CV issue...

·
Registered
431 Posts
Glad you got it fixed. Usually low speed clunking and popping is a ball joint or CV issue...

yup except you wont feel it through the wheel as crisp and sharp as i was went over that idk hooow many times w/ the guys at my shop man

Chase-you gonna dive in and do it man?

·
Registered
447 Posts
I don't know man. It sounds pretty damn intense. I am however tired of being at a stop light next to someone with windows down, I step on the gas when the light goes green and there's a loud ass "pop" sound coming from my truck.:nuke: POS

·
Registered
431 Posts
that buzz on the highway came back now that its warmer out... wonder whats loose now S M H

its not nearly as bad as it was when i bought the truck... but dam, why cant it just be RIGHT

·
Registered
836 Posts

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
you might also want to watch the steering yoke. when they replaced my frame they had to replace the steering yoke because it was rusted to heck and back. i never noticed any signs that it was rusted and failing but thats what scares me. there was no play, no noises, no slack in the steering but it was in bad shape.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts