Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Sequoia Limited: in late October, my brother and I replaced the front rotors, calipers, and pads on my Sequoia, followed by bleeding the brakes manually. Everything went perfectly and to this day the brakes function beautifully (as of 12/27/19). However, about a week after this, the VSC TRAC and VSC OFF lights came on, as well as the Check Engine Light. I have an inexpensive code reader which brought up a few other codes C0171 & C0174, which led me to clean out the MAF prior to the likely next step of replacing an O2 sensor. I disconnected the battery and after reconnecting, the codes were clear. I went on a road trip the following day and returned 5 days later after putting on close to 1K miles. The car performed beautifully and with no complaints at all this entire time.

About 1-2 weeks later (1500+ miles after cleaning the MAF sensor) the same lights came on with the same codes. I haven't done Zero Point Calibration yet (I plan to on Sunday) but I'm curious if the C1360 code related to the master cylinder pressure sensor is related to this in some way? It appears from numerous searches of this forum and another, as well as YouTube, etc., that it might?

I'm curious, because alignment appears to also be able to affect this, along with ride height. We did get the alignment done in September or October as well, and also replaced the rear air bags for the automatic ride height, which could have also affected this? Essentially, I'm just curious if the brake service threw the code somehow, or if you think it's likely the alignment and/or rear air bag replacement led to it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Do you mean P0171? There are no CEL codes that start with C that I'm aware of. So let's assume you mean P0171 and P0174. Those relate to a "lean" condition, usually from a air intake leak between the MAF and the metal throttle body. So check any rubber parts as they connect and along the rubber 'hose' itself, they crack anywhere. Replace with OEM if necessary.

Anytime a P0171/0174 is thrown the VSC/TRAC CEL will light up, its the standard "limp home" mode where the ECU will no longer throttle the engine during VSC/TRAC situations to allow all power to be delivered, just a failsafe mode until the engine CEL is checked into. So you can do the calibration, but it really isn't being indicated just because the VSC/TRAC came on, the real problem is the P0171.

On the P1360, I would find an FSM to see if there are test procedures for the brake pressure switch, or perhaps its not expensive and you can just try swapping it out? Here is one post on here about the same topic: https://www.tundrasolutions.com/threads/sequoia-brake-problem-vsc-off-and-vsc-track-lights.94244/

Luck and enjoy those Toyotas. : ^ ))))

1 - 2 of 2 Posts