Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting code P0420 Bank 1. I have seen several posts relating to this code but I am not sure where to start in my case. I have a 2002 Tundra with 74000 miles. It is a V-8 4WD. I have heard it can be the catalytic converter, the oxygen sensors or a leak in exaust. What should I do?

Thanks,

Scoob

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
the first 2 trips south of the border i bought gas from a fisherman and from the Pemex gas station. both times i got this code. oct was the last time for the code but multiple trips buying from Pemex and out of cans and no further code(s). no other issues so far, even tho i now carry a code reader and a print out of the codes, just in case.....

don't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did put in gas I have been storing in a tank at my barn. I hope that is all it is at this time.

Thanks,

Scoob

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
I hate to ask how long the gas was sitting in the barrel in the barn? Was
there any stabilizer or additional additives in it?

John

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, it has been in there about a year. I hope that is the answer. I put HEET in the truck.

Scoob

·
Super Moderator
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,561 Posts
No, it has been in there about a year. I hope that is the answer. I put HEET in the truck.

Scoob
Scoob~

Don't ever run non-stabilized gasoline stored for more than 6 months in any fuel-injected vehicle.

If you require fuel (gasoline or diesel) to be stored for an extended period, i.e. farms, boathouses, etc, then make sure to use Sta-Bil. You can find it almost everywhere.

In regards to your P0420, its the driver's side downstream (catalytic efficiency) oxygen sensor. If, after running a couple of tanks of fresh gas doesn't get the CEL off, you'll have to replace the sensor. It's easy to do.

As always, my :twocents:

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
It probably wouldn't hurt to throw in some fuel system cleaner the next
time you fill up at a gas station.

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts