Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening All!

Well my shocks and struts are finally shot and everything needs to be replaced. I'd like to take advantage of this oppertunity and put some quality products under this vehicle to enure that it last for another 10-Years! Completed a lot of research and no luck so far and have not found the following information to make sure which product is going to fit my needs. Here is the information as follows:

TRUCK USE & BACKGROUND INFO:

90% Highway & 10% Off-Road, Stationed @ Fairbanks, Alaska (-30*/-50* Tempatures), Gravel Roads, No-Salt during winter, Primary use is for travel to work and hunting, will keep stock wheels and use spider trax wheel spacers and upgrading tires to 285's.

CONCERNS & QUESTIONS:

1. Re-Buildable shocks sound great, but will need to be removed and transported back to manf.; no locsl shops to complete this process, down time is est. 2-Weeks. Not to big of a deal, but might piss the wife off. Life of Icon shock is approx. 3-Years, hope fully have my motorcycle by then and be stationed somewhere a little warmer during the winter months.

2. How reliable are the re-buildable shocks? Does anyone have any personal experiance, no here-say.

3. Toytec coilovers seem to be the best overall product with the easiest maint. If one shock goes bad I can just order and install it myself. Blistein 5100's seem to have great reviews all around, so is there a need to get something better?

4. Icon Coilover's seem to have the best reviews and customer service overall, for an additional $300.00 over the toytec I can get the Icons with 2" rear shocks or for an additional $1,000 I can get the Icon piggyback rear shocks. Are they worth the extra cost?

5. Besides the coilover, UCA, Diff Drop, Sway Bar Bushing, Rack & Pinion Bushing items, what are some other good items to be replaced at the same time while I am in there right now?

FINAL:

Again, I'm just looking to replace and upgrade with something thats going to be able to take a beating and last for 10-Years. So do I spend the extra $1,000 or do I but the tried and true Bilstein 5100's? Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
For your use, I'd go with Toytec.

Nicely composed question by the way, I like how you've obviously researched where you could and thought about pros and cons of each. I ran on Toytecs for about two years, never a single issue with them. They took a beating and never gave up on me, I have nothing but good things to say about those coilovers as well as the people at Toytec. :tu:

I later switched to Fox because I'm just stupid that way and always looking for something better. I went with Fox for three reasons:
1) 2.5" diameter meant more fluid capacity than the Toytecs I had.
2) Reservoirs were a nice addition(until my tire ate the hose from Fox's crappy mounting location).
3) 16" springs meant I didn't need to crank them for lift.

That said, for day to day use, these Fox's which cost 50% more don't do any better of a job than my Toytecs did. As far as other items, change your lower ball joints and tie rod ends while you are at it, also look into changing the steering rack bushings. The UCA's from Camburg are a great addition to any coilover set up, but you already know that.

Rebuildable coilovers are nice to have, IF you can have them rebuilt or do it yourself. You can find a freshly rebuilt set of Icon's in our gen 1 classifieds for under $600. There are also a set of SAW on there for a comparable price but those ones need to be rebuilt still. Be wary, aftermarket coilovers don't tend to do well in salty road conditions. All of the factors surrounding your situation point to Toytec, or just a set of 5100s and new springs.

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,550 Posts
90% street? I'd go with the 5100s. They'll do everything you want or need them to do, i.e. the 10% offroad, plus, when it's time to replace, it's an easy swap... no rebuild, no downtime waiting, etc.

Take the $$$ you'll save by not buying a set of the Icons, Fox, or ToyTecs and invest in the Camburg UCAs ($528), which will be a great investment in wheel travel, alignment range and front suspension component protection.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
5100s sound perfect for you. Also look into OME springs to go with the 5100s this should give you a nice ride with lift and not having to compress the coils for lift. Like Remmy said, use the extra cash for UCA or even a locker! I had 5100s before my icons and they worked great and never had a problem. Reason I switched is the same as tundrunk, I stupid!

·
Registered
566 Posts
For your application, 5100s would be perfect. They'll take a beating and last a good while (plus, you can buy a few sets for the price of coilovers). With 90% street driving, there's no reason for anything "better".

I did the same thing as the others: I had 5100s and switched to Sway-A-Way coilovers because I wanted something "better", and I got an amazing deal on them. The 5100s are great and never gave me any problems, but I wanted something stronger for heavy off-roading. The fact that you can rebuild the coilovers is nice if you off-road a lot, but after you factor in down-time and cost, it's sucks having them on a daily driver. (I almost regret having them now)
Along with UCAs and the other items you listed, I would also replace the lower ball joints and tie rod ends. I went with Moog LBJs and they've been fine.

Thanks for doing your research first! :tu:

·
Registered
157 Posts
plus 1 on 5100s and UCAs.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm just sayinnnnnnnn, i'd rather have like the same amount of lift with UCA rather than just coilovers that he will never really test/push them. Mainly because he will be limited by other factors.. ie stock ball joints

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
I came across these ones, trying to find a part number...

Actually I always forget Bilstein makes a coilover too, exactly like the Toytec... oooorrrr is Toytec exactly like the Bilstein? :confuseda:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts