Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has decided that since riding in a lifted truck, that daddy needs to lift his up now. Well thats all the motivation I needed. I have a 2004 Tundra SR5 Access Cab 2WD, and plan to go with a 3in Coilover setup, and a 3in Body Lift w/ Gap Guards. At this point, my question is what coilover to go with.

I was leaning towards a Fabtech since my shop is a dealer of theirs, and we have great success with their systems on domestic vehicles. Dont know much about ICON or KING, or anyone elses really. Im also torn with just using the Bilstein 5100s with the highest setting, and a small coil spring spacer on top, but prefer to not use coil spacers if possible. Suggestions? Personal experiences? Photos of your setup?

·
Registered
469 Posts
First off, coilovers set at 3" of lift will ride pretty stiff. In fact most manufacturers suggest setting them at 2" max. ICONS will have a better ride "on-road". So if you do a lot fo daily driving, then you should go with the ICONS. KINGS are just as nice and are a tad cheaper. I actually just ordered a set of KING coilovers for my truck. I really like their blue color. :D

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Come awn, people...you have the answers :lol:...

I fully, 110%, completely, second what Lalo said. It is so much fun :D.

If nobody posts up tech by this evening, I'll hitcha back on the thread here. I gotta knuckle down @ work for a bit. Browse my signature line while you're here.

-Sean

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
My son has decided that since riding in a lifted truck, that daddy needs to lift his up now. Well thats all the motivation I needed. I have a 2004 Tundra SR5 Access Cab 2WD, and plan to go with a 3in Coilover setup, and a 3in Body Lift w/ Gap Guards. At this point, my question is what coilover to go with.

I was leaning towards a Fabtech since my shop is a dealer of theirs, and we have great success with their systems on domestic vehicles. Dont know much about ICON or KING, or anyone elses really. Im also torn with just using the Bilstein 5100s with the highest setting, and a small coil spring spacer on top, but prefer to not use coil spacers if possible. Suggestions? Personal experiences? Photos of your setup?
Ok, I re-read, and it occurred to me, you have a 2WD and you're doing this for looks.

Get a Bilstein 5100 kit, the one with the snap rings, set it at 2.5", then add a body lift & AAL, and get some 16x9 wheels with 3.5" backspacing or so, and run a 315/75/16 tire (35x12.5)...done. There is no need to spend money on a Fabtech kit, and their rear shocks aren't really impressive anyway last I checked...the stock rear is better.

You could even run a 2" spacer kit in the front, nothing in the rear, and the 3" body lift, and run 315/75/16 tires. I've seen it done, works fine.

-Sean

1 - 8 of 8 Posts