Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the True Flow XDI intake and it keeps tripping the check engine light with a P0101 code (MAF sensor). I have uninstalled and re-installed the unit several times. Disconnected the battery and cleaned the MAF sensor with appropriate cleaner. Nothing has helped. It originally took about 200 miles for the light to come on. Everytime thereafter it has returned after only 25 miles or so. I have returned to the factory box and the light has not come back on in the last 300 miles. Has anyone had the same problem with the same or different CAI? If so, have you resolved the issue and how? I have not been able to contact True Flow. I may entertain a different unit. Any suggestions that won't mess with the computer? Any and all ideas will be entertained at this point!!!!

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Quite a few of us have the Volant and have had no problems. I had an Airaid before with no problems, but it was too loud for me.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Los
I posted in that thread as well and until recently did not get any hits or solutions that worked so I figured I would try starting a new thread. What can I say I am desperate. The one guy that also had a problem was not able to get it resolved either. There were a couple of memebers with the intake that didn't have a problem at all. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the TRUE FLOW and had to have it removed.Check Eng.,ASC and 4Lo lights came on and blinked constantly.The dealer could not resolve the problem and neither could True Flow.A new cai from TRD will be available in Oct.,so I will wait for that one and try it.I have a pick up camper and a 20' bass boat that I haul and I am looking for a little better mileage and a little more power.So I guess we will see what happens in Oct.
smitty3317

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yep,
I had the same issues with a Volant C.A.I.!!! I have isolated the frequency as to whenever the ambiant air temp drops below 50deg. I can only assume that the parameters within the MAF sensor are extremely narrow. When it sets off the sensors I do not notice any change in performance, so I leave it alone and it comes and goes, during the winter. It stays off during the summer....60+ days over 100deg.! Not sure the answer to it besides going back and installing a TRD.
GL

·
Registered
134 Posts
i'm looking at getting the TRD CAI, but won't have the money for the exhaust yet. will that cause any problems or should i wait until i can put both of them on together?

·
E PLURIBUS UNUM
2,247 Posts
using just one will not cause any problems at all..... I have the TRD intake with a magnaflow custom exhaust.....not a single check engine light....ever...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Boscatman,
Are you also getting check engine light? Are you having the code reset or does the light go off by itself? Did you ever bother to see what code it is? I haven't heard of many people heving problem with the Volant. I was looking at chenging my True Flow for a Volant or AFE. Still haven't decided.

·
Back from the dead!
1,778 Posts
Yep,
I had the same issues with a Volant C.A.I.!!! I have isolated the frequency as to whenever the ambiant air temp drops below 50deg. I can only assume that the parameters within the MAF sensor are extremely narrow. When it sets off the sensors I do not notice any change in performance, so I leave it alone and it comes and goes, during the winter. It stays off during the summer....60+ days over 100deg.! Not sure the answer to it besides going back and installing a TRD.
GL
Weird...My Volant was in 40ish and below weather this past January and no check engine lights or anything at all.....:confused: Maybe your CAI is messed up?????

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Augh, heck, I have a Volant on the way and i see someone is having trouble with one. Hopefully it is isolated. I have had an airaid before, but that was on a Chevy, first mod under the hood on this 2010. Danny at Volant said they have installed quite a few on the 2010's with no problem. They have not changed anything on them from the previous models. Fingers Crossed..

·
Back from the dead!
1,778 Posts
I'm guessing it's isolated. The Volnt CAI is an awesome intake...Have never heard of that problem before...:)

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
I had my Tundra up in the snow of Lake Tahoe last winter (low 30s) and no check engine lights for the week we were there. I have never had engine lights with the Volant. On another site a bunch of people did a group buy on Volant (probably 20 folks). I have not heard of a single check engine light issue.

The only issues were installing the MAF sensor the wrong way or leaving the oem gasket on the MAF. These cause lights right at the initial start up (MAF) or within the first couple of drives (gasket left in place which moved the MAF sensor into the wrong position).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2008 SR5 toyota tundra 5.7l. And i recently bought a cold air intake for it. But when i installed it. the check engine light, vsc light, slip control light came on, and has been on ever since. I have heard that i needed to buy a MASS AIR FLOW sensor for it. but i cant seem to find one. all the sensors i do find are for a 4.7l. does anyone know where i can find one?

·
Registered
7 Posts
yeah that dude might have a point the density in the air changes when you add a high flow filter can throw codes and i went atleast 200mi when i first installed my spectra intake on my 02 tundra but i threw a emissions pump/hose code this tube always popes off on my 02 before and after i installed the intake usually when i drive it hard or tow but i put clamps on there and took a 300mile trip and i still have codes but it has been really cold and rainy right now ,if it keeps im gona upgrade the m.a.s. @ summit racing,another thing is you dont want cold air it makes moister in your cumbustion chamber i was told you also want a smooth flow of air(no spirals) unless you have a super or turbo charger,again i was told!!!

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
I have a 2008 SR5 toyota tundra 5.7l. And i recently bought a cold air intake for it. But when i installed it. the check engine light, vsc light, slip control light came on, and has been on ever since. I have heard that i needed to buy a MASS AIR FLOW sensor for it. but i cant seem to find one. all the sensors i do find are for a 4.7l. does anyone know where i can find one?
First of all, what kind of cold air intake did you install on the truck? I have installed a Volant with no error codes in 16,000 miles. I would not jump on the mass air flow system band wagon. Tell us which one you installed and we can go from there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts