Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I was considering a Cold Air Intake. There are three options, K&N has two. One with a stainless steel tube, other a PVC and then there is the TRD. Any opinions? or suggestions.

Regards,
Rique

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
I have a Volant on my 2007 5.7L and love it. I have never used K&N or TRD, however, I have heard KN is slightly louder than Volant. I have heard good things about the TRD intake as well though I have no specific feedback or experience.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
I have read that you do not want the steel tube. It transfers more heat. Use PVC. Not sure if AFE sells CAI for your ride but I would assume it is same as Tundra. Have a read.
aFe Air Intake Toyota Tundra Review with Video Sound Clips | Tundra Headquarters

By the way, you will probably get a dozen people telling you CAI's are garbage. Just dont buy one thinking you will get some massive hp gains. They will provide some power so just know that before you get one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im wondering if that new corsa system is gonna make any real world power gains or if it's just another feel good mod?
If it was in fact dyno proven or even better accelleration testing proven I would definately combine it with a CAI.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I got a buddy who works at Pauly Toyota (Crystal lake IL) and when i told him i was going to get an intake he said to just say away from K&N because the oils from their filter will clog up the MAF sensor in the truck and give false readings. (he is speaking from a customer truck he was working on). In addition he said K&N's don't filter as well as some other brands do.

I purchased an aFe intake that filters just as good as stock and to be honest does in fact give the truck a noticeable power boost and great sound. However as others have said, you cant go wrong with the TRD models! :tu:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Does anyone know what, if anything this does to the manufacturers warranty if you don't use the TRD one?
The manufactures warranty is not voided by an intake, my dealer has had no problems with me putting an intake on the truck, in fact they offered to install it.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Anyone care to list the possible options to look at, other than K&N due to the oil issues?
Well i assume all the intakes that work on the 5.7L Tundra will work with the 5.7L sequoia so here we go:

aFe Power- have both an un-oiled filter and oiled filter options
K&N
TRD
RBP
Volant
AirAid

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input. I use K&N on many cars I own and the oil issue is really BS. I will however go with the TRD kit for Bling reasons. Looks pretty cool and I understand is also an Oiled filter.

Wait till you see my rig all Souped up as a 4x4 off roader.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow! thats like half the price of the TRD!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Any word out there yet on a CAI for the 4.6 ? I know there is the Airaid, but anyone have any feedback on that ?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Thanks for all the input. I use K&N on many cars I own and the oil issue is really BS. I will however go with the TRD kit for Bling reasons. Looks pretty cool and I understand is also an Oiled filter.

Wait till you see my rig all Souped up as a 4x4 off roader.
Like i said i cant really speak form experience on the K&N oil issue, just what my buddy had told me, chose to take his advice just because he's been working at the dealer for 5 years.

Post pics when the rigs all ready to roll.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts