Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a brand new 2018 limited tundra. Wanted to get some insight on cold air intakes. I was going to get one for the truck. Its already got a lift and stuff for it so i didnt know what else to get for it. I know Cold Air Intakes help power and mpgs slightly. So any info or tips would be great!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 2007 Tundra 5.7 and recently bought the Injen Evolution intake. There isn't a lot of info on these intakes on Tundras but it had the features I was looking for and seems like a well made piece. You can choose an oiled or a dry filter and I went with the dry since I didn't want the hassle of cleaning and re oiling the filter. The dry filter flows just as well, it can be cleaned, and there is less risk of the oil in the filter causing problems with the MAF sensor.

I am currently getting some MPG data with the stock intake system to see where I am. I plan to run at least 3 tanks and get an average MPG then switch to the CAI and run 3 more tanks. I am cautiously optimistic that I will see an increase in MPG. That is the main reason I bought it but I know there is a good chance that I won't see a measurable gain.

S&B seems to be one of the most popular intakes for the Tundra and you couldn't go wrong with it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a Volanat CAI and run the stock intake vs the Volant at various times to see if there are any noticable differences. I could not detect any difference at all.

To begin the stock intake is a CAI. The obvious difference is the Volant does not fit into the hole in the inner fender.
Both stock and Volant have an air box (as does the S&B), unlike K&N (or others like K&N) which just sit in the engine bay. And as mentioned the dry filter will not gum up the MAF sensor or the Throttle Body.

MPG comparisons varied. It just depends how you accelerate. 1 to 2 MPG +/- is all I saw.

With the Volant it seemed the truck would hesitate when I would punch it. Like the engine was taking a big gulp of air before it would respond. Running the stock intake there was no hesitation.

I have been using the stock intake with an addition to the mix having an all aluminium radiator and a 160 degree thermostate installed. With this addition the coolant temperature rarely gets above 180 degrees. I have been running this with the stock intake for about 4 weeks now have seen a considerable increase in MPG of 19 to 23 miles per gallon. Before all of this I got 14 to 17 MPG and sometimes as low as 12 to 13 MPG. It really did not matter which intake I was using at the time.

I have a 2001 4.7L V8 with TRD Headers and a custom racing true dual exhaust, but for that motor the MPG I am experiencing is good.

A couple of the best things you can do is install Headers and a true Dual Exhaust.

Good luck with your setups.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Road Dog pretty much nailed it. You wont see any performance gains with an intake. Some guys will tell you they can feel it but thats a load of crap. You cant "feel" a gain of 2HP on a 400HP motor. If you dont believe me take it to a dyno shop and post before and after readings with the intake. And any gains you do make are usually at the top end of the rev range, how often do you drive there?
If you want to buy one because it makes a cool sound and looks good with the hood open there's nothing wrong with that, people put stuff on there vehicles for cosmetic purposes all the time. Just know before you buy what you can expect.

·
Driver of 2 Tundra trucks
6,294 Posts
I just got a brand new 2018 limited tundra. Wanted to get some insight on cold air intakes. I was going to get one for the truck. I know Cold Air Intakes help power and mpgs slightly. So any info or tips would be great!!
The factory CAI is perfect, use it.
If you want to improve power (torque) I recommend a BAMuffler cat back that retains your factory tail pipe plus a drop in AFE air filter. Once you have performed those two mods, you are ready for a DAPtune. Your quest for higher MPGs was probably made unachievable when you lifted the truck, but keeping it under 60 mph will help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just ordered this one from Rough Country:

It way cheaper than some of other ones I have seen, K&N $400, plus knowing a thing or two about airflow, it does the same exact thing. In fact, the cone surface area on the RC versus K&N is greater so it should perform possibly better? Dunno. This is my first stab at using the cone air intake system on my Tundra. This is my 3rd Tundra.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just installed an S&B with dry filter not 20 minutes ago. Found a brand new one on CL for $250. Box never opened.

No noticeable sound differences (YAY - I hate loud motors). No noticeable difference in throttle.

I researched all the posts, and believed what I read about them making no power difference over stock HOWEVER I did read a lot of posts about a slight increase in MPG and that is why I am giving it a go. Hoping to pick up an MPG or two to offset my lift & bumper.

I was getting right about 15 MPG mostly city driving, after lifting, adding 275/70/18 ATs and an ARB bumper now I'm lucky to get 13 now (mostly city). If I can get back to 15 MPG I'll be happy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
No they don't unless you modify your exhaust. I have talked to some people about exhaust with different opinions. To me, just a simple concept, the faster you can get air in the truck and the out the truck the fastest it will go which usually increase HP. The biggest gains I have heard ever about on Tundras with the an improved air intake and the big money exhaust was around 20 HP. I have driven Toyotas trucks since 1990. Had every model except the T100. Excluding the 22RE 4 Cylinder, none of my Toyota trucks got good gas mileage. Never. The most dependable reliable truck on the road without a doubt. Gas mileage no. If you don't have one, you could try a bed cover to reduce air drag but I am not sure how much you will gain.

·
Registered
84 Posts
But they sound cool when you accelerate. Logically you are increasing airflow with less restrictions. I don't know about the numbers... Bottom line if you want one, buy one. It's your truck... Chap

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got it. It's sitting on the dining room table which my wife lets me know about every 5 seconds. Waiting for some other stuff to arrive to install everything at once.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts