Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched this site and found much on this subject. Got feedback from "does not help at all, great sound, to increase of 15hp and 5mpg. Also most have more then just this mod.

I believe that the internal cumbustion engine is not much more then an air pump. So it makes sence to me that this would be of some help but how much by itself?

I own an 05 DC tundra V8 two wheel drive. About 62,000 miles and completely stock. Changed to syn. oil before 5000 miles went by. I take an 18ft bass boat to the lake on weekends. Live about 1 mile from work. I probably average 17+ mpg, when I pull that boat it drops to 11-12mpg.

I did get a scan gauge so now I can monitor mpg, hp, temp, and a bunch of other stuff. I have so much information I don't know what to do with it.

So the CAI. Checked around locally and the only thing I fine readily available is K&N. I don't hear great review about those units here.

So what should I look at getting? Where should I look for good price? What should I expect to see as improvments in performance? Would I have to anything else to really gain some benifits, change exhaust? power chip? Headers?

I am not interested in changing the sound of the truck. Not opposed either just not the reason to install this mod. Of course like everyone else I want an extra 75hp AND an increase of 5mpg :D. But I am realistic. Who out there did this mod and what did you really gain? What else did you do to help performance. Using the scan gauge as an indicator what should I watch? Just mpg? HP?

Sorry for getting so long and thank you for your input

·
Registered
128 Posts

·
Admin from Hell
13,116 Posts
Going with an intake will almost certainly rob you of low-end torque which is not something you want if you are towing.

Exactly WHY do you want to add an intake? :confused:

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
So you searched and saw all the responses. The responses to this thread are going to be the same. Some saying it was the best thing in the world and then those like me (Have an 05 D-Cab) who tried it then went back to stock after losing low end grunt and 2 mpgs. Plus the aftermarket K&N Filter allows more dirt into your motor and clogs faster then stock. Yes the motor is an air pump but if it is already breathing effeciently then you can not really improve it with a simple bolt on air cleaner and allowing more dirt into my motor for a cool sound/look or an extra half horse is not worth it to me.

I believe (Been a while since I looked) that even K&N's site shows you lose low end in trade for top end. If you are towing at all this is the last thing you want. Plus it is a truck so low end is what we want most of the time since we run bigger tires/weight and so on.

I have noticed on domestics and others K&N's make a big difference but on my Toyotas they have not done much at all but be a pain.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Don't worry about an intake now, use that money towards headers as they will be your biggest bolt on gain you can do for cheap. I also tow a bass boat and headers gave the truck some good low end power and it really comes on past 3500rpms.

Bill3508

·
Admin from Hell
13,116 Posts
There are those who may disagree with me on this, but I happen to think the engineers at Toyota are pretty smart guys and came up with a well-designed engine for the Tundra. Think about this: If the performance of the engine could be improved with a fancy intake, don't you think that intake would have been incorporated into the design from the get-go?

·
2,444 Posts
When I looked around I decided to go with the True Flow drop in because it is a foam type filter and keeps the dirt out. I chose an after market option because of the re-use factor. After figuring in the cleaner, oil, and time to service the filter I am probably not saving any money. I do live in the sticks and drive on dirt and gravel regularly so that affects how often cleaning occurs. If you live in the city you may not have to clean the filter for 30,000 miles, then you may save some money.

FYI if you did not know True Flow recently folded.

No gains noticed.

Don't have headers, or an exhaust. I would look into those options for possible gains.

·
2,875 Posts
OMG read the tons of previous threads and you'll see the same answer over and over again. I removed the injen power flow cai from my truck because I lost so much performance. What I did later on was use the injen tube to replace the factory tube from the stock air box and it did work.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
There is one way to cull 90% of such threads. If the poster does not offer dyno and/or dragstrip results, his opinions should be taken with a grain of salt. Never use
-o-meter as an exclusive means to gauge performance. Rough impressions are fine, but when the chips are down it must be properly quantified with instrumented testing.

·
Admin from Hell
13,116 Posts
isn't the factory one already a "cold air"? it draws air from the fender well, OUTSIDE the engine compartment.
It is..................

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys that is the impression I was getting doing my own research. Lots of sound but not much else and you could lose low end power. So I save myself a coulpe hundred dollars????? What should I spend it on? For me would headers be a help? New exhaust maybe? Or should I just leave well enough alone and buy a couple cases of beer and watch the game :D.

Guess the only reason I started looking is when I first got the truck I would have sworn I was getting over 18mpg. Checked it several times. I did change tire size when the time came. Nothing way over size just the next recommand size up. They are Continental Cross Contact LX 265/70 R16. I looked thru this site and they were recommanded as great tires. Is that where the extra mpg went? the bigger tire? And they look so much better then the stock tires :sad:

·
05' Tundra (Tun-Tun)
520 Posts
I have the 77 series KN intake and i went from 17's to now 19MPG. I also have NOT noticed a performance drop....i think i gained like the Dyno chart said I was going to, but no data to back that up. (the 77 series has the heat shield) But i do feel like the power has shifted up in RPMs so for towing...it might not be the best idea but I had a 1650LB load in the bed with the KN and for regualr accelerating i could barely tell the wood was there....so i think its better then anyone says...just IMO

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
I also pull a bass boat once in a while. Had a K&N intake FIPK model and I did notice a rob in low end torque while pulling the bass boat and not. Ended up removing it and switched to a different intake. Didn't notice a mpg increase. Stayed the same. The Volant was good. Only ran it on the truck for about 20 mins about 10 miles then put it up for sale. Didn't pull my bass boat with it. I sold it because I wanted some money for my 300M so I could modify it. If I didn't have the 300M I would have left the volant intake on the tundra. Didn't have as much of a roar sound as the K&N but it has balls. I may have lost a little bit of torque with the Volant going up hills.

Right now I'm running the stock intake with a toyota air filter. I clean the throttle body and Mass air flow sensor every 6 months or 1 a year.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2934559/4

·
Registered
264 Posts
Pick up an Airaid Jr. kit. Basically it's a new tube and a high flow filter that goes into the stock box. There's a right up about the benefits on here somewhere. Also a throttle body spacer helps with low end torque. (by increasing the volume of the plenum) Althought the gains are minimal there are gains and every little bit helps

·
Registered
917 Posts
Pick up an Airaid Jr. kit. Basically it's a new tube and a high flow filter that goes into the stock box. There's a right up about the benefits on here somewhere. Also a throttle body spacer helps with low end torque. (by increasing the volume of the plenum) Althought the gains are minimal there are gains and every little bit helps
:nono: No gains just a waste of money.

·
05' Tundra (Tun-Tun)
520 Posts
i would reccomend the new KN kit that has the new tube and it uses the stock box and fender access port but a new filter....its probably the best one they make for our truck...its bascically like the TRD kit. 57-9027 - K&N 57 Series FIPK, Performance Intake Kit

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
:nono: No gains just a waste of money.

I had a throttle body spacer on the truck when I got it from dad. All it did was make a whistling sound. You can but it very tight run a throttle body spacer and a K&N intake. If you put too much pressure on the intake while the truck is idling then the intake tube will hit the fan. It is only mm away.

Just run the factory toyota intake with only a toyota filter and be done with it. I had a volant intake for 2 days and loved it. But I had to sell it because I was flatt a$$ broke.

·
05' Tundra (Tun-Tun)
520 Posts
just went back to stock intake with the KN drop in (0-60 times not changed but wheel spin is back) intake temps were roughly the same +-2 * but did stock runs then kn runs then stock runs again, neg batery disconnected in between each run. and same drive done before 0-60. 8secs +-.1 at the most for any run. (PS i also like the quiet-ness from the stock versus the KN..got tired of the noise)

EDIT: i would like to add i believe that the .1 higher times is probably due to the tire hop at take off without the intake on... and the filter on the intake was cleaned yesterday and the Drop in KN filter was dirty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new to the formum and joined to look up trouble code PO174 for my 2002 Tundra with 48,000 miles. In reading the threads for this code, system too lean bank 2, I see many references to a K&N cold air system perhaps contributing to this code, as well as possibly harming gas mileage and low end torque. I have only had the truck for 3 months, and it came with the K&N cold air filter. So here's the question- If I want to go back to the stock system, since I don't have the original, how much is this going to cost me?

Thanks for your help on this.

Csmith

1 - 20 of 22 Posts