Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2004 tundra with the 4.7 engine. I was wondering which intake to go with? I want the one that gives you the most horsepower.............HELP!!!

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
If you ask 10 different people you'll get 10 different answers. I have an AFE drop-in filter in the stock box. There's dozens of threads about them. Do a search and go from there.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts

·
7,925 Posts
I got a 2004 tundra with the 4.7 engine. I was wondering which intake to go with? I want the one that gives you the most horsepower.............HELP!!!

As many different opinions as there are truck owners. Me, personally, the stock intake is a true cold air intake. Having said that, it does have a few restrictions.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/forced-induction-systems/109612-stock-air-flow-numbers-and-mod/

I designed my own ram air intake which has helped a little on acceleration as well as fuel economy.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/forced-induction-systems/173400-ram-air-intake-scoop/

I am running a True Flow drop in foam filter and find that it does filter better. I had a K&N for 16,000 miles and just from the condition of the filter when I took it out (it was as clean as it was when it went in) felt that it did not filter very well. The True Flow was absolutely filthy when I cleaned it after 4,000 miles.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1322872-post31/

There is a ton of stuff here on the Forum about cold air intakes but my opinion is, strictly on CAI that the stock set-up is a true CAI - just has some limitations. Best filter is stock or a foam filter - K&N does not filter as well but does flow like living hell.

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,533 Posts
As many different opinions as there are truck owners. Me, personally, the stock intake is a true cold air intake. Having said that, it does have a few restrictions.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/forced-induction-systems/109612-stock-air-flow-numbers-and-mod/

I designed my own ram air intake which has helped a little on acceleration as well as fuel economy.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/forced-induction-systems/173400-ram-air-intake-scoop/

I am running a True Flow drop in foam filter and find that it does filter better. I had a K&N for 16,000 miles and just from the condition of the filter when I took it out (it was as clean as it was when it went in) felt that it did not filter very well. The True Flow was absolutely filthy when I cleaned it after 4,000 miles.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1322872-post31/

There is a ton of stuff here on the Forum about cold air intakes but my opinion is, strictly on CAI that the stock set-up is a true CAI - just has some limitations. Best filter is stock or a foam filter - K&N does not filter as well but does flow like living hell.
To the OP: I'd listen to this guy... he's done more exploration on airflow on the 4.7L than anyone I've seen. He knows from whence he speaks! :tu:

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Search.

Keep it stock for the most power, mpg, and low end torque.
X2. May not look like the wow factor, but, stock gets it done nicely. I am
changing back to stock to upgrade to a true "CAI".

·
Registered
590 Posts
Volant is really good, I use it. I'd stay away from K&n, there is sum threads that say how they can mess up your truck.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Volant is really good, I use it. I'd stay away from K&n, there is sum threads that say how they can mess up your truck.
I've used K&N products on every vehicle I've owned except the Tundra with no problems. K&N won't mess your truck up. People that don't know how to clean and oil them properly mess stuff up whether it's K&N, Airaid, or any of the other oiled filters.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
I had K&N FIPK, K&N Drop in, Volant intake, & stock intake.

K&N drop in: not a dang thing in any category.
K&N FIPK: made my dual exhaust sound really throaty, Loss of low end torque, no MPG increase.
Volant intake: not as loud as the Volant, Felt very little loss in low end torque, Very impressed in the HP gain. I was spinning tires on dry pavement. MPG NA: Only put 20 miles on it and then sold it.
Stock intake: run the stock filter and call it a day.

If I didn't need the money at the time when I sold the Volant intake, I would have kept it. I was very impressed with it.
But I'm back to running the stock intake and it serves its purpose quite well I think.

Chris

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I had K&N FIPK, K&N Drop in, Volant intake, & stock intake.

K&N drop in: not a dang thing in any category.
K&N FIPK: made my dual exhaust sound really throaty, Loss of low end torque, no MPG increase.
Volant intake: not as loud as the Volant, Felt very little loss in low end torque, Very impressed in the HP gain. I was spinning tires on dry pavement. MPG NA: Only put 20 miles on it and then sold it.
Stock intake: run the stock filter and call it a day.

If I didn't need the money at the time when I sold the Volant intake, I would have kept it. I was very impressed with it.
But I'm back to running the stock intake and it serves its purpose quite well I think.

Chris
I plan on keeping the stock setup with the drop-in. The only other thing I have considered is getting the Airaid Jr. kit to try out the tube from the airbox to throttle body. It looks like it MAY provide an improvement.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
And how do they do that exactly? Or are you just passing on some heresay?
I've used K&N products on every vehicle I've owned except the Tundra with no problems. K&N won't mess your truck up. People that don't know how to clean and oil them properly mess stuff up whether it's K&N, Airaid, or any of the other oiled filters.
Mine dirtied up the MAF sensor when I pulled it outta the box and installed it (Being over oiled from the factory). The throttle body was dirtier also when I went to clean it after I installed the K&N. Since I have removed it, the throttle body has been 98% cleaner everytime I go to clean it.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi apimpdad, don't you off road alot? if you off road than a aftermarket cai, isn't the smartest thing to do. thats why, you had issue's.

i know, i have a monster truck t-rex i changed everything. i have about 3 or 4 cai. with extra foam sleaves that cover the cold air intake, i know what happens off roading. i have to continue to change the filter, it gets clogged up. due to off roading the radio controled monster truck. so i know why you recommend the stock set up.

if you don't off road than a cai, will work, if you like running it hard.
if you drive normal, and stay at 2000rpms, than keep it stock.

cold air intakes, are for top end, it will give you more HP.
cold air intakes, are great if you add headers, cat back exhaust, & a unichip or custom tuned unichip. it will allow for more air, than stock. adding more HP & TORQUE.
proven with hard data.

hard data, i did it, i know, there is my thread about it.
i used the scanguage2 3.15 w/X-guage to see the difference between the stock & the K&N cai. i belive, it was around 10 more HP. but that is top end.
also i have done a bunch of dyno's.

no gains just driving around town.

if you like the sound, than get it, but the sound is when you punch it.
thats when it's at it's loudest.

what is you intentions? that will tell me what you should do.

headers, will give you your most gain, or a custom tuned unichip.
if you want handling, buy a HELLWIG anti sway bar.

yes, there are a ton of these thread's. & everyone has a opinion.
with the right set up, you can see gains with a cai, but if you do not plan on racing around the track;-) , than do other things.
gorilla
p.s. there are other ways to spend that money.

Mine dirtied up the MAF sensor when I pulled it outta the box and installed it (Being over oiled from the factory). The throttle body was dirtier also when I went to clean it after I installed the K&N. Since I have removed it, the throttle body has been 98% cleaner everytime I go to clean it.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I do off road, but I had this well before I was much into off roading, before the solid axle stuff when I was getting serious about it. Though when I did take it off road with the K&N I never once had mud on or around the filter, again when I was first getting into off roading and I was scared to do alot of things off the paved road :D. Back then I was doing nearly 95% street driving as opposed to a lot less now, and a lot more crazier off road.

·
7,925 Posts
To the OP: I'd listen to this guy... he's done more exploration on airflow on the 4.7L than anyone I've seen. He knows from whence he speaks! :tu:
Hey Remmy,

Thanks for the kudos. Hi-Volt is really the guy who got all my testing started by providing the evidence of the vacuum (or restriction) while working on his air box modification. Even so, I have done a ton of testing and think I know a little bit about it. I still love my True Flow and feel it filters better than the K&N. Absent an oil analysis I can offer no evidence other than eyeballing the grunginess of the filter; the True Flow was filthy after 4,000 miles and after 16,000 miles the K&N was as clean as it was when I installed it.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
I have also tried several different ways...

Stock: Your best option if you don't want to spend a good amount of cash. Remove the stock charcoal filter and it will run beautifully.

K&N Drop In Filter: Didn't notice a damn thing. I would say $50 wasted, but I needed a new filter and it's held up well.

AFE Stage 2-CX: Awesome quality, amazing sound and quicker throttle response. This thing sounded great in my truck. But after 3-6 weeks, it started messing with my MAF sensor. It was causing the truck to hesitate a good 1 second or more during shifting. It got progressively worse and I ended up returning to stock. Once I did that, everything was back to normal.

Airaid CAI (Current Setup): I've had this intake for almost a week and I must say it has impressed me greatly. I was very disappointed in the AFE's compatibility in the end. The Airaid has given my faith in CAI for our truck a boost. Throttle response is great during average weather. In cold weather, the truck responds like a caged tiger being let out for the 1st time ever. It pulls with a huge amount of force.

It's super throaty and definitely works well in completing my trucks sound. Combined with the Flowmaster 40 exhaust, this thing turns heads and sounds incredible. Gas mileage is the same, but a little better. Maybe 1MPG more, but not a whole lot. Shifting is smooth and there's no hesitation at all. I really really really like this intake. If you can afford the $320 for it, it's a good buy. Great quality and fit and well worth it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts