Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking with a few friends tonight and telling them I was ordering a Tundra and told them what list price was, close to 49K - 50K and that I was getting it for invoice around 44K -45K. They ragged me bad for paying that much for the Tundra saying it was way over priced. I should order a 4x4 Tundra for resale? Worth the extra 4K, I may use it only 10% of the time, maybe? They said Dodge, Chevy and Ford are way cheaper for the same comparable truck and I could get a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge Diesel truck for that much money, etc.

I didn't have much to say back in defense, help me out..Why are you guys and I, willing to pay so much for a pickup...:confused:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I was talking with a few friends tonight and telling them I was ordering a Tundra and told them what list price was, close to 49K - 50K and that I was getting it for invoice around 44K -45K. They ragged me bad for paying that much for the Tundra saying it was way over priced. I should order a 4x4 Tundra for resale? Worth the extra 4K, I may use it only 10% of the time, maybe? They said Dodge, Chevy and Ford are way cheaper for the same comparable truck and I could get a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge Diesel truck for that much money, etc.

I didn't have much to say back in defense, help me out..Why are you guys and I, willing to pay so much for a pickup...:confused:
It is not a pickup. It is my chariot.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Tell them to get back to you in 1.5 years when those 45k sticker price Ford, Chevy and Dodges are worth 22k.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Your price sounds horrible, I don't think you could possibly pay that much ($49-50k)for a 4x2, even at MSRP, with all options, and all accessories. I would renegotiate, or go to a different dealer, you can still back out until you take delivery.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Your price sounds horrible, I don't think you could possibly pay that much ($49-50k)for a 4x2, even at MSRP, with all options, and all accessories. I would renegotiate, or go to a different dealer, you can still back out until you take delivery.
DL, I agree with the above, that dealer is bending you over. Search a North West zip code in Toyota.com and Edmunds.com. Try 98032. It will show you the "real" invoice and MSRP.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DL, I agree with the above, that dealer is bending you over. Search a North West zip code in Toyota.com and Edmunds.com. Try 98032. It will show you the "real" invoice and MSRP.
Base invoice $35,104.60
Options $8,138.70
Admin fee $750.00
Destination $695.00
-1/2 admin fee total $44,493.30

MSRP $49,531.00

Savings $4,662.70

BBS 20" wheels $2,195.00
Navi, Rear Ent., TRD off road, park pilot, SS Steps,XM, Moonroof, Remote Start & Security, Bed Extender, bed liner, Cold kit, DRL,a few more small things

Sound right?

Thanks

·
Registered
479 Posts
I was talking with a few friends tonight and telling them I was ordering a Tundra and told them what list price was, close to 49K - 50K and that I was getting it for invoice around 44K -45K.
He stated that he is paying 44k to 45k,he is not paying 49k to 50k.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
That's a lot of port options to go with most of the factory options. It really jacks up your price. You could get it for less than $40K if you stuck with the factory options (nav, 20", sonar, DRL, moonroof, cold kit). Wait. That's my truck. It's up to you how you want yours configured, though.;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Base invoice $35,104.60
Options $8,138.70
Admin fee $750.00
Destination $695.00
-1/2 admin fee total $44,493.30

MSRP $49,531.00

Savings $4,662.70

BBS 20" wheels $2,195.00
Navi, Rear Ent., TRD off road, park pilot, SS Steps,XM, Moonroof, Remote Start & Security, Bed Extender, bed liner, Cold kit, DRL,a few more small things

Sound right?

Thanks
This sounds a little high. I just got my crewmax limited the MSRP was about 46800 (don't remember exact) with the following options:
navigation, 20" rims, moonroof, xm radio, dash aplique(sp?), bedliner, port DVD system, remote start, window tinting, and maybe 1 or 2 other things.
The items you list that I didn't are steps(about $530), bed extender (about $330), DRL, Cold Kit, TRD (about $300-$400 for last 3). There is at least another thousand or 2 that seems to be in other charges on yours. I also got a good discount and good trade value. Both the new truck and the trade were right about what Edmunds said I should expect.

I would reccomend checking Edmunds, I think you can get a better deal. Maybe your market is different though.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I plan on owning the truck for at least 5-6 years or more...I checked Edmunds, the price from dealer seemed on par. The Port options jack the price up, I bet. The SET fee doesn't help.

I checked with a couple of dealers in Atlanta and North Carolina, my dealer was $700 - $1,000 cheaper. :confused:

What's your opinion on the 4x4? Resale?

·
Registered
634 Posts

I have to admit that I don't have much of a defense to give your buddies. 50 grand sticker on a 2wd gas truck, my gosh, is out of control. I had no idea those new Tundras were priced so high. You said you have checked your prices but I would urge to double check them again because it would seem to me that on a 50000 auto, invoice should be more than just 5 grand less. But I have not researched the model so it is only theory. Just seems like a lot. But if you are around invoice or there abouts that is about as good as you can do.

·
Registered
552 Posts
IMHO, port options and accessories don't really "count" as part of the price of the truck, especially if comparing vehicles from two manufacturers, the quality of port options put on by a distributor are really unknown, usually overpriced and readily available in the aftermarket for less $$$, and frankly i wouldn't want 'em. The cost of the port options and accessories really only hold value for you, and what use you will get out of them. Except for maybe DVD/Nav, they won't add any/much value when you go to resell. So, IMHO, compare a factory optioned Toyota vs. Domestic and see where things stand.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Tell them to get back to you in 1.5 years when those 45k sticker price Ford, Chevy and Dodges are worth 22k.
You have no Idea what you're talking about. Try to find a 45k priced GM for 22k that's an 05 or 06. Tkae the tundra at 45k and in 1.5 years and see how many takers you get to sell it for 35k. You could buy a brand new 1/1 ton domestic for that. You guys are so bent on justifying an essentially 1/2 ton truck priced at 45k and up, you're not seeing the true side of things.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I think I would remove the bolt on port options and buy from Toyota Tundra Parts and Accessories Store : Toyota Tundra Accessories and Toyota Tundra Parts<BR>TOLL FREE 800.920.8606 to save considerably. I did not notice where you lived, but if you do not feel you need 4X4, you probably shouldn't have too much trouble selling it. I would not buy a domestic, sure they might be diesel, but who cares. Dodge may not be a corporation in five years, Ford's have bad drivetrain problems, and the GM's are a good truck, but I personally hate a column shifter.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
If you feel right about the cost of your truck that is all that matters.
I ordered a Crew Max Limited only option it don't have is the sonar,
The MSP was 48, something my dealer gave me 43,something.
I know some think it might be high but I'm happy with the cost.
I should receive it in about two weeks if the dealer was right at 6 to 8 weeks.
I have learned that no matter how good a price you know you get some one
will tell you they could have gotten it at a lower cost. I have found that they
are just blowing air.
So sounds like you are getting just the truck you want and will be happy with
it for many years.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think I would remove the bolt on port options and buy from Toyota Tundra Parts and Accessories Store : Toyota Tundra Accessories and Toyota Tundra Parts<BR>TOLL FREE 800.920.8606 to save considerably. I did not notice where you lived, but if you do not feel you need 4X4, you probably shouldn't have too much trouble selling it. I would not buy a domestic, sure they might be diesel, but who cares. Dodge may not be a corporation in five years, Ford's have bad drivetrain problems, and the GM's are a good truck, but I personally hate a column shifter.
As long as you brought it up, I was about to order something from these guys but they wanted to charge me a lot for shipping. So I printed out the listing and brought it to my local Toyota parts counter and they matched the price and I didn't have to pay crazy shipping charges (I had to pay sales tax but for the item I wanted, tax is much less than shipping) and it only took two days to get it. It wasn't even a hard negotiation - the guy said he can sell it to me for that price without me even asking if he could. Anyway, perhaps it makes sense to check with your local dealer first before assuming you can buy better elsewhere.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you price the options I chose, I'm getting some of them for the prices posted on the link and they are installing them with "NO" labor charges. So that's not a bad deal.:tu:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you feel right about the cost of your truck that is all that matters.
I ordered a Crew Max Limited only option it don't have is the sonar,
The MSP was 48, something my dealer gave me 43,something.
I know some think it might be high but I'm happy with the cost.
I should receive it in about two weeks if the dealer was right at 6 to 8 weeks.
I have learned that no matter how good a price you know you get some one
will tell you they could have gotten it at a lower cost. I have found that they
are just blowing air.
So sounds like you are getting just the truck you want and will be happy with
it for many years.
Thanks, Sounds like you got a good deal...:tu: It's all about supply and demand, when they first came out, the dealers charged more..Now that there is a steady supply, prices have come down some...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thanks, Sounds like you got a good deal...:tu: It's all about supply and demand, when they first came out, the dealers charged more..Now that there is a steady supply, prices have come down some...

There is always some type of sale or incentive going on @ Toyota. And with gas prices going up and their inventory going up, they are more likely to deal. They want more of their product out on the street.

Do your homework before rolling up in the parking lot of the dealership. If you feel comfortable in the deal you made then that is the bottom line.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts