Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello!

My wife and I needed something bigger so we recently traded our 2001 4Runner for a 2003 Sequoia.

It was a straight trade and really hard to make because we love the 4Runner, but we needed more room.
A 10 month old takes up a lot of space!

We made a straight trade, each vehicle had about the same miles (188k) and the sequoia seems to be in good condition.

Pictures tell the story.

First question:
What needs to be done first?

In the 4Runner, we had to be LBJ's and the radiator as they are known weak points, does the sequoia have something like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
TO THE SCARY STUFF

I live in Colorado, have been here since I was a kid. I've never had to deal with rust and don't understand it too much.
It seems like these cars seem to have a rust problem?
its something I didn't really look at until I got the truck home.

The car is from Illinois.

Its amazing to me that the truck can look so good outside, and be torn up at the frame.

Here is the rust I'm dealing with...

So
1) What would you do? I spent some time spray painting rust spots thinking it could help keep it from getting worse. Unfortunately, I don't have any more pictures that don't have the paint on it.
2) Will this get progressively worse consider I live in a 'rust free' area?
3) Are there "frame" parts that I can replace? I did this on a Honda Accord after an accident, replaced the subframe in my garage.

The truck drives really nice. My hope was to keep it to 250k+ (just like my previous 4Runner's Goals).

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bought some $30 amazon led light bulbs for the fog lights.
Took about 10 minutes to install.
I’ll be interested to see how they work at night.

They look good! That’s for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
229 Posts
Bought some $30 amazon led light bulbs for the fog lights.
Took about 10 minutes to install.
I’ll be interested to see how they work at night.

They look good! That’s for sure!

Can you link the bulbs?

Also, that rust looks to be mostly on the surface. Clean it up and paint it. The control arms, etc that are rusty can certainly be replaced with new ones. If you want to know more about replacing the actual frame than read some of the threads here (or check google) regarding the rust recalls on these vehicles (and most of Toyota's other trucks). Not a DIY project by any means. Certainly not anything like replacing the subframe on an Accord.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you link the bulbs?

Also, that rust looks to be mostly on the surface. Clean it up and paint it. The control arms, etc that are rusty can certainly be replaced with new ones. If you want to know more about replacing the actual frame than read some of the threads here (or check google) regarding the rust recalls on these vehicles (and most of Toyota's other trucks). Not a DIY project by any means. Certainly not anything like replacing the subframe on an Accord.

That’s good to hear. Thank you. I’ll get a link later on.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Today:

Got a new programmed key.
Fixed the rear window by taping on the motor.
Inspected front speakers and ordered a repair kit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Picked up some 4Runner wheels and tires from a buddy for $100. They look awessssome.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Today:

Got a new programmed key.
Fixed the rear window by taping on the motor.
Inspected front speakers and ordered a repair kit.
Did you tape something on the rear window motor (or did you mean "tapping"?

On my 2001 Sequoia, the rear window would not operate periodically and there was a service bulletin on the issue. I don't know if this is the same with the 2003 or related to what you were dealing with. The service bulletin called for the removal of a small part that was part of the motor switching mechanism (I think, been about 16 years since I did it).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you tape something on the rear window motor (or did you mean "tapping"?

On my 2001 Sequoia, the rear window would not operate periodically and there was a service bulletin on the issue. I don't know if this is the same with the 2003 or related to what you were dealing with. The service bulletin called for the removal of a small part that was part of the motor switching mechanism (I think, been about 16 years since I did it).

Ah yes. Sorry. Typo. Tapped that sucker.

I didn’t remove anything, but it’s been working fine for the last few weeks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Today my Amazon remote came in for the DVD player. Works perfectly!

Totally worth the $45 to have a working DVD player.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Rear entertainment is nice but unfortunately my DVD player in the center console is bad. Luckily I have an old XBOX 360 stashed under the passenger seat to play movies through the screen.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Still have a few things to figure out.

AC doesn’t seem to work right.
Looking to get new headlights.
Looking to get a full wax/claybar
Still waiting on speakers to come back.
Rear glass seems to have fallen off its track.

These are mostly small things. Hope to tackle some of it soon!

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
For your rust problem:
Painting it does absolutely nothing.
No, it wont stop just because you now live in a rust free area. Eventually your frame will rot right through if you dont stop it.
You need to stop the rust and to do that you need to understand what rust is and how it occurs. You need 3 things to create rust. An electrolyte, which is the road salt that got all over the vehicle in the past, heat, and humidity. Just because you maybe washed it once doesnt stop the rust because you can never remove all the salt that has crept into places you cant get to. And the warmer and more humid the air, the faster it will rot.
That being said, if you havent already done so, start by washing the hell out of the underside of the vehicle. Not just a quick shot but with your pressure washer getting into every area you can. Next is go buy some rust inhibitor spray like Por-15 or Krown rustproofing and soak every square inch of the underside of that vehicle. Most places that rust proof vehicles used compressed air and spray the stuff into all areas of the vehicle. If you do it yourself you have to make sure you get it everywhere. Good luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Today I replaced the spark plugs.

I don’t think the old ones were “bad” but worth it to know where I’m at. Plus I went from Denso to NGK.

This look normal?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Haven't posted anything here for over a year... so hi!

Today I replaced the Shifter Assembly. Simple job, just have to have some small hands or twisty skills.

Sequoia has about 211,000 miles. Haven't had to do much to it. The rust hasn't seem to get any worse. I recently did the brakes front and rear too.

I don't think the A/C works very well, even though we've had it tested multiple times. But, its decent. Nothing can beat the AC in my 99 Corolla that I got last year for $600. For whatever reason, that AC is amazing!

·
Registered
2002 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4x4
139 Posts
Nice rig! The A/C has a lot of cubic feet of air to cool. It being a black car doesn't help either. However, if you don't have them already, I would recommend using sunshades for the windshield when you park someplace for a long time and keep the sunroof shade closed. Also, when cooling down the interior, crack one of the back windows to ventilate some of the hot air for a few minutes. I was down in Florida for a couple of months and that seemed to help out a bit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts