Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GRILLE

Well i think i been talking about getting a new grille surround forever so i figured i actually had to do it at some point. :D...and i figured now is as good a time as any, right after sparks raised the price on them. :facepalm: Haha. I gotta say im really happy with the way it looks, way better than the chrome! Despite slightly raising the price i gotta say TRD Sparks was a great seller to buy from! They answer my email the same day and got the grille shipped out and at my door in 3days! :tu: Satisfied customer! Pics.

For any of you guys out there that have read the disclaimer on sparks site about paint being rubbed off in the corners on the grille this is what they're talking about. Both sides are the same, its a very small spot that unless you stair right at the corner you cant notice, its easily touched up.

EMBLEMS

First off i have to give a big thank you to "clarks" who helped me out and gave me his 5.7L badges and saved me the cost of having to buy new ones. Painting was A LOT of careful taping, masking, sanding and priming but they both came out really well and im pretty happy with them. The enamel gave the emblems a very fine but cool texture, it matches the texture of the mirrors almost perfectly. Sorry for the crappy pics im casting a shadow over the silver "5.7L" in both pics.

Ill post some pics when i get them put on the truck, there is one spot on one of the emblems i have to touch up but i also want to give the enamel a few days to totally dry before i start messing with them and put them on the truck.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Looks much better. I love what you have done with the emblems. Can not wait to see them on your truck. Now get rid of the chrome bumpers!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Looks very good!:):tu:

You going to do the door handles now?

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
door handles look fine in black on that truck..i'd be tempted if it were mine to powdercoat the bumpers red or black too to complete the no chrome look...looks great.

i always wondered if they had such a consistent problem with the paint rubbing off due to packaging, and im sure they have sold a ton of them, why they (toyota, not sparks) didnt do something about the packaging is beyond me.....

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
door handles look fine in black on that truck..i'd be tempted if it were mine to powdercoat the bumpers red or black too to complete the no chrome look...looks great.

i always wondered if they had such a consistent problem with the paint rubbing off due to packaging, and im sure they have sold a ton of them, why they (toyota, not sparks) didnt do something about the packaging is beyond me.....
Yea you got a point there, i guess they feel its such a minor issue its nothing to worry about but oh well, i touched it up and no problems.

Ive actually been trying to get quotes from powder coaters in my area but so far i haven't been able to find anybody to remove the chrome finish, so don't worry about it guys im on the issue. Haha :D

Thanks for the compliments guys.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Man I love the stuff you're doing to your truck! I wish I lived closer to you so I could make you help me out. I'm always such a wuss! I'd love to do the BHLM and new grill surround.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man I love the stuff you're doing to your truck! I wish I lived closer to you so I could make you help me out. I'm always such a wuss! I'd love to do the BHLM and new grill surround.
Hey you me both then, i love to mess around with stuff on the truck. :D

The BHLM isnt as bad as it sounds actually you could probably get another user to do it for you, as long as you could drive around without lights for a little while. haha, or even get a cheap used assembly of ebay and practice on it, i got one for 25 bucks and practiced on it.

Grille was a real simple install too. Just gotta pop off the uni-brow thing and unscrew 10 bolts...although i think your truck looks pretty good as is, its simple and clean, in your case id say less is definitely more. If its anything to ya i think ya got a good looking truck. :tu:

·
Registered
133 Posts
rad red ur truck is sick.....

i had an 08 dodge ram sport in flame red and everything was red, bumpers and grill and eventually as money allows i will be making the tundra all red like that again

nice lookin rig!

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
I'm ok with the chrome bumpers but the colored grill surround likes awesome, good job.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm ok with the chrome bumpers but the colored grill surround likes awesome, good job.
Yeah i think they look o.k for now too, but im still trying to find someone that'll do the bumpers for me.

·
Cash-Strapped Supporter
155 Posts
Those badges look amazing!

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'd go with a color matched hood protector now. The smoked one looks like a cheezy mustache with your latest mods. Otherwise, looks good.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Hey you me both then, i love to mess around with stuff on the truck.

The BHLM isnt as bad as it sounds actually you could probably get another user to do it for you, as long as you could drive around without lights for a little while. haha, or even get a cheap used assembly of ebay and practice on it, i got one for 25 bucks and practiced on it.

Grille was a real simple install too. Just gotta pop off the uni-brow thing and unscrew 10 bolts...although i think your truck looks pretty good as is, its simple and clean, in your case id say less is definitely more. If its anything to ya i think ya got a good looking truck.
Thanks man! I never can send you points it seems.

I like the chrome bumpers actually. But I never did like how on DC's one handle is color matched and one is black. I would do that before I worried with the bumpers. Just seems to me if they were red too it might be too much, That color matched grill surround looks awesome though, I really think they should have all come like that.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd go with a color matched hood protector now. The smoked one looks like a cheezy mustache with your latest mods. Otherwise, looks good.
Naa i took the hood protector off then installed the grille and it seemed like all the red needed to be broken up so i put the protector back on. Don't all hood protectors look like a mustache anyways? haha ;)

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks man! I never can send you points it seems.

I like the chrome bumpers actually. But I never did like how on DC's one handle is color matched and one is black. I would do that before I worried with the bumpers. Just seems to me if they were red too it might be too much, That color matched grill surround looks awesome though, I really think they should have all come like that.
Yeah i know what ya mean the rear handle is like the ones on that nissan suv. They should have done the handles on the DC like the ones on the crew max, im with ya there.

Hey if they came with a color match grille from the factory thats one less thing i woulda had to spend money on? Where's the fun in that man?! Haha

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Lookin' good!

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
looks great my man,, love the truck...

when you did the lights,, did you tint the lenses a bit or does it just look that way...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Two questions, I have a silver 2008 and I looked at TRD's website and I dont think they have one for the silver model. Also how did you turn your Toyota emblem black? And is there anywhere to get the matching bumpers to?

·
Registered
373 Posts
SWEET! I don't know how you got it so the paint didn't run into the next area. I painted a motorcycle helmet 1 x & the paoint ran passed the tape.
How are you going to apply those to the truck, silicone?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts