Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 DC with a 4.7... i have 155,000 km and i noticed that there was a slight smell of coolant by the grill while filling windshield wash one day. I checked and my overflow bottle was empty.. and my rad was not full.

I did not overheat.. and no loss of heat in the cab. I am going hunting for a leak and i was wondering is there any common area that usually starts giving way or leaking? Coolant hose or water pump?

I expected something after all those km's to start giving trouble.. no shame on that truck for sure.

Thanks for the help.... :happy3d:

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
It could be a pinhole on the hose or some leaks arround the water pump shaft. You have to pressurized the system so you can see the leak. Look for water stains or marks on the sorrounding areas of the hoses. After you've driven the truck and the engine shut down, open up the hood and look for the pinhole or leak.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
The odds are that Art64 is correct. My guess would be water pump, but check around the hose clamps too. The other possibility would be a radiator cap.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
somewhere in the cooling system. :) now move over to the 1 gen tundra and they might know more about your truck. :p

·
Registered
186 Posts
I also have an 05 dc with about 125,000 miles. I have the coolant smell and I narrowed it down to a leak in the lower radiator end cap by the lower radiator hose. I have not had a chance to try to re-crimp the end cap. It will usually fix the the problem 70% of the time. A new aftermarket radiator costs about $250 and a pretty easy change out.

As suggested before, get your system pressurized and you will find the leak.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I would guess your water pump is leaking out the weep hole. When I did my Timing belt you could see where it was starting to leak. My fluid was not low. So I changed it with the belt. That you done you 90k service?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts