Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Based on the oem camera running on less voltage, what is need to hook up to a Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT HU?

·
Registered
404 Posts
On the standard radio, the reverse wire can be found in a gray plug with a cap in it, behind the stock radio on the loom that runs along the main dash support.

When you remove the stock radio, about 10 inches back is the harness. Taped up in a bundle is the gray plug. Just cut back the tape, and tap in to the small purple wire.

Just put in a Pioneer D3 w/Pioneer back up camera.

It is a very small purple wire. 12volt+.
Has anyone else verified this to be true? Is this the K6 connector that is supposed to plug into the OEM nav unit? If so, I would think you would need to tap into a green wire (as stated above) rather than the purple wire as quoted here.

Thanks,

Wes

·
FTA All The Way!!
69 Posts
There is a reputable company on Ebay that sells a parking brake bypass chip. I understand that it is for "DEMO PURPOSES ONLY" LOL but it is a quality product that allows you to use the full functions of your aftermarket DVD/NAV while moving. Plus its a microprocessor not a bypass wiring so you don't risk damaging your expensive NAV unit. I know they have them for Pioneer, Alpine, and Clarion but didn't look any further to see every unit they make them for. Just search "brand name, video bypass" on Ebay.

Not completely on target with this thread but relative to an aftermarket NAV unit install. I went with a Clarion NZ500 single DIN fold out unit because it looks like a piece of crap 1980's pyle deck when folded in so my neighborhood punks won't steal it. Because I went single I DIN I was looking for a good option for the spare space this is my plan:

Subaru Forester Single DIN Pocket w/flip up lid
USB HUB
slide out iPhone/iPod dock

I am also mounting a Blue LCD voltage meter on the outside of the lid so I can make sure my Soundstream TRX 2.640 isn't destroying my voltage output when I'm dumping it. I am currently deployed but have all the stuff to do this in my garage waiting for me, when I get home I will post pics of the final product, just figured I would give you guys who decided to go with Single DIN some ideas.

·
Registered
500 Posts
BUMP for HELP.

I checked out the camera harness at the back of the truck and had a buddy put the truck in reverse while I climbed underneath the truck with my multitester to check voltage. (Black 12V + and White 12V -) There was no reading... truck was on, emergency brake off, buddy's foot on the brake. Does the factory monitor need to be installed before any current goes to the back? Is there something I'm missing? :confused: Please help....

·
Registered
500 Posts
Alright... I just did a general google search and a thread on TundraTrukz.com popped up. It says that the monitor actually supplies the power to the wiring at the back of the truck. If this is true, that's the reason why I wasn't getting any voltage reading. :highfive:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Figured I'd add my recent information to this thread. I took off the overhead console today on my 2007 tundra and documented the plug types and wires. I pulled the EWD's from TIS and the connector part #'s. Below is the two plugs in the overhead console with their corresponding wire color and source.

This is the plug that goes to the factory Homelink/Compass/Autodimming Mirror

Homelink Mirror Connector 2007.jpg

This is the plug that is normally unused and tucked in the overhead console. Its for the backup monitor.

Rear View Camera Connector 2007.jpg

Both of these views are looking at the front of the connector. Hope this helps someone out in the future.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am putting an aftermarket GPS HU on and I need to connect a reverse signal wire and a speed signal wire.

If I understand this right I need to connect the reverse signal wire to K6 pin5 and speed signal wire to K6 pin3. Now I do not know where K6 is located. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is a way you can get the factory wiring over to you Nav unit instead of splicing the OHC wires for non-Nav, it may take longer but it definitely makes a cleaner install.
On the drivers side behind the side pillared there are two connectors just above the dash find the connecter...this should be the bottom of the two connecters that have a red, blue, black, white wires they wrapped in a blue insulation, so they are shielded ...you will have to take most of the dash apart and unwrap the tape and wire loom that has this cable. the cable runs alone the top of the instrument cluster.
To remove the pins from the connecter you need a tiny flathead screwdriver or something to pry the lock along the connecter, you just pry enough just to get the lock to pop up, than take a needle and push it in through the front of the connecters for the wires you want and pull the wires out from the back end. After you have pulled all the wires pull enough back towards the Nav unit, I only pulled back to the end of the cluster closest to the Nav unit. than follow the diagram above for K7 and insert wires in proper points, you're all done and you Nav will now pickup the rear camera.

I hope this helps everyone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for this terrific information. I just bought a 2007 Tundra and I want to install a backup camera/mirror. Does anyone think the connectors to mate with the existing connectors are available for purchase or do I need to just splice the wires into the existing wires behind the connectors?

Thanks,
Alex

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
28 Participants
Ostara
Toyota Tundra Forums
Tundra Solutions Forum - the best community to talk, mods, price, repair and research your Toyota!
Full Forum Listing