Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a few Companies I found doing the HID retro-fitting.
For those Familiar with HID parts, projectors, blacked out or not blacked out..... Let me know your thoughts on the different designs, etc. and any Pros & Cons of one over another.

I'm sure others will love to know there are a few companies out there to choose from.

SickHID's seems to offer the best pricing. And the designs are how-ever you want em.
Sick BUILDS (4 wheels) - Sick HIDs

Toyota Tundra Build - Sick HIDs

2000-2004 Toyota Tundra HID Projector Retrofit Packages | BlackFlameCustoms.com

Tundra -- HID Projector Headlight Retrofit for Subaru, Honda, BMW, Scion and More | LightWerkz.net

Ryan’s Toyota Tundra – FXR Bixenon Conversion | HID Projector Headlight Retrofit for Subaru, Honda, BMW, Scion and More | LightWerkz.net

There's HID Illusionz too. Other thread there for that info. I'm more interested in these The first two companies. Especially the First one since his pricing is way better than all the other 3.

·
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Rut Ro!
4,269 Posts
^^Your telling me! But just curious to compare quality from other places. We need a comparison thread from people who have had theirs done by companies, to the members whom have done it themselves.

I have read some nightmare stories on some forums for sure!

·
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^Your telling me! But just curious to compare quality from other places. We need a comparison thread from people who have had theirs done by companies, to the members whom have done it themselves.

I have read some nightmare stories on some forums for sure!
Exactly why I am stirring the pot.
There is a lot involved in HID retro-fitting that I do not understand.
I read how the projector has to be big enough. Fitted perfect in depth so the beam can be projected outward, etc.

And then I'm seeing some are blacked out and some are not.
Seeing the ones that are blacked out , they don't have as much glare. << reflecting off the chrome housing acting like a mirror.

And not understanding much of it would make for a poor decision on my part just buying the cheaper priced retro.

NEED knowledge. Must have.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
jamesjr4750 thx for the info :becky:

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
James, add some "tags" to your thread so others can find it in the future (by searching). :tu:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hid illusionz screwed up my brand new housing. All I got in return was a set of used housings and my money back. The work they did was terrible!! The cutouts they made were too big and you could see a gap around the projectors. The projectors are only epoxied in as well so they broke off while in transit back to me.

Otoh Caesar at Lightwerkz is awesome!!! That is my first gen listed on his site. LWz does amazing work. Light output is crazy too. Cutoff and beam width is awesome with this setup now. I want Caesar to do a set for my landcruiser now too.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Several guys had Rich do their retros and everything was fine. He's done several of my vehicles and all came out great and are holding up years later.

You said Caesar does great work well he didn't on mine. I had to send my lights back to him because the aiming was way off and he too used epoxy but also used bolts. After sending them back they still weren't right. I had to file a claim with my bank to get a partial refund.

Edit:

Forgot I actually sent my headlights back to Caesar twice to get fixed so he had them a total of 3 times. The 2nd time they were sent back ever worse than before.

·
Rut Ro!
4,269 Posts
^^The above 2 stories is what concerns me. One of you had a good experience, and the other did not. And vice versa. But as I have learned through the years, you take the good with the bad, even though you are paying them good money, and they do this everyday for a living.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yea I guess there's always a chance something won't be right. The work Caesar and his guys did for me looks OE. I don't visit TS much anymore and I'm posting from my phone right now so I'll try and leave more details when I get to my comp.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
If you goggle lightwerkz and hidillusionz both have great reviews. You just happen to have the .01% of their screw ups in one thread. :)

I'll post up my retro when I get it back from Rich. I can say I know Rich uses brackets because I've asked him and the one member that had him do his tundra retro said he saw the brackets too. So I don't know Rich would Use just epoxy to mount them.

Gt, what year tundra do you have....I'm on my phone so it's a pain to search you're user name. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bad experience on my side, had my ford retro with lightwerkz and both sides came way off, the worst thing, was that the seller sent me all kinds of emails telling me why my output wasen't level. I compared the light output with my wife's Tl and there is no way my retro was looking OE.
luckly I found a guy here in nola that fixed my retro. I couldn't afford paying for shipping back and forth with that guy

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Bad experience on my side, had my ford retro with lightwerkz and both sides came way off, the worst thing, was that the seller sent me all kinds of emails telling me why my output wasen't level. I compared the light output with my wife's Tl and there is no way my retro was looking OE.
luckly I found a guy here in nola that fixed my retro. I couldn't afford paying for shipping back and forth with that guy
LOL same with me. I paid $40 to ship it back so he could correct his own mistake!?? The 3rd time he tried to make me pay again and I told him either he pays for shipping back or I'll do a dispute w/ my bank because he had a "100% satisfaction guarantee" on his site. Im sure he took that down now. :D He tried to fix it for the 3rd time and the light output was off on one of the projectors. He blamed it on the projector, saying no 2 are alike, said it was like that to begin with but I took alot of pictures so I proved it was not like that.

I ended up having to bust the headlights apart because he used so much jb weld and hvac tape to cover the back up. And when I sold the projectors the output was perfectly fine, so it was the way he mounted it. He mounted it too far back in my headlight.

Thats why if you can do your retro yourself its best to. :tu: I tried on my Tundra but I cant make the bolts fit in the back of the chrome reflector without hitting the gray housing when trying to aim them. I guess I could try to make some "L" brackets and mount on the bottom of the reflector but it needs a upper mount so the projector doesnt shake and vibrate. Its getting too damn hot here in Houston to be working in my garage and I dont have the time or patience to do it right now so Im having Rich do it.

My shrouds came in today so hopefully I'll get my headlights and stuff shipped out tomorrow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts