Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so here is my debate: I am deciding between a new 07 Tundra and a new 07 Avalanche. For the Tundra it would be an SR5 (non leather, slightly more basic options) double cab and would be around $38k. The Avalanche could be either an 1LT for about $35k or an LTZ for about $40k -- can't decide quite yet.

I know that the Avalance is more versatile vehicle -- being about to go from a 5' bed to an 8' bed pretty easily and to nearly 10' with bed extender. The Tundra has a 6.5' bed with about 8' with the bed extender down.

My debate stems around these points:

- I think the Avalance will be a more versatile car and will function very well
- I think the Tundra will be a better "car" if you know what I mean; I probably SLIGHTLY prefer the look of regular trucks over the avalanche, though I do like the avalanche too.
- I don't really have anything to tow so the extra power on the Tundra isn't a requirement, but it's nice, you know?
- Honestly, though I own another GM car, I kind of "trust" the Toyota engineering slightly more even though it has a lesser warranty.
- I can get a more upgraded Avalanche for the same price as the "base" SR5 Tundra - leather isn't a big deal for me

What kind of honest, non-biased thoughts do you all have?

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have previously owned an avalanche.It is not and will never be a real truck.You have to remember that if you fold the rear seats and midgate down to use the longer bed,the passenger compartment is no longer sealed,which is a problem in rain or in cold weather.Also with a real truck,you can install a bed cover to protect the load from rain or snow,If you have the midgate down,the cargo is at least partly exposed.If you haul dirt or gravel in a normal truck ,the bed is easily cleaned with a water hose,but you can't use a hose in the passenger compartment to clean the bed in front of the midgate,and if you use a hose in the rear cargo compartment,you need to remove the bed mat until it and the bed dry or water will be trapped under the mat.Also gravel and dirt are very difficult to remove from the drainage grate just behind the midgate.I hauled game in the back of the avalanche while on hunting trips and blood was very difficult to remove from the drainage system.I had to pour bleach down the drain grate to get rid of the smell from the blood.The avalanche is flexible,but it also has disadvantages if it is to be used as a truck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good points -- as for the idea of having the mid gate down always exposes it to elements -- you can keep the rear window in and only put the seat down as well, right? So that would keep the elements out and it would be completely sealed?

·
Registered
479 Posts
If you leave the window in place and only lower the midgate,you have less than 2' of height when using the longer cargo compartment.That is enough for hauling some cargo but not for others.If you plan on hauling taller items that you want protected,a truck and canopy is a better choice.Also for hauling quads and motorcycles,a truck with a 6-1/2' box works much better.
I owned the avalanche for almost two years and discovered that it really wasn't suitable for use a truck.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
After having owned 3 Chevy trucks over the past 10 years, and a Toyota Tundra for a week, its a no brainer for me..........Tundra all the way. I've never been in such a solid built full size truck before. The door shuts solid, the ride is solid and the power is amazing. After having this Tundra for a week and Chevy's for years, I'll never go back to an American car. There is no comparison.

Also, my dealer supplied me with a lifetime warranty on the Tundra's drivetrain. For as long as I own the truck I never have to worry about engine, transmission or rear end problems. I'll have a $100 dedecutible and Toyota sponsors the rest. My last Chevy was riddled with transmission problems and the one before that the engine threw a rod right after my warranty was up and they did nothing to help me. So the lifetime warranty was a huge selling point for me. Not that I'll ever need it, but its nice to know its there.

Also, look around more. $38k is awful high for a basic DoubleCab SR5. Thats more of a loaded Limited price.

Mark

·
Banned
1,374 Posts
Sounds to me you're looking for a "car " like pickup and maybe the Tundra is not for you. The Snowflake or Avalanche what ever it's called is a nice vehicle and sounds more in line what you are looking for. Have you checked out the Honda Ridgeliner as they are very similar to the Snowflake. :D

One other thing... The Tundra is more American than the Snowflake!:tu:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think both are pretty similar -- four door trucks. If toyota had a hybrid midgate type thing, it would be a no-brainer for me.

I enjoy having a truck/suv type item for the ability to move larger things -- buying things like a treadmill or a miter saw for example; The Honda Ridgeline was never an option because it doesn't have a midgate -- only a trunk under neath the truck bed.

·
Registered
479 Posts
As I posted previously,after owning one,I don't consider the Avalanche a real truck.But then again ,it sounds like you really don't need a truck,as a van or an suv will easily haul mitre saws and treadmills.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts