Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a used Tundra double cab and the 2004 SR5 models are in my price range. After doing a little homework, I see the 2005 4.7L engine with the 5 speed auto has the jump in horsepower. It will be a city truck for the most part. But I will be towing a pop-up camper with it occasionally. Will I do okay with the 2004 or should I go with a 2005? After searching here, it looks like the 4 speed 2004 might be best when towing. But, I'm more interested in the day to day performance between the two years. Does one model have less problems than another? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
The 2004 should be fine. The 2005-2006 have a 3.91 rear gear & the 2004 has a 4.10, I think, which is slightly lower & better for towing. The 2005-2006 have a jump in HP but not until you wind it up. Good for passing but not much different off the line or for towing. This is what I've read on this forum, anyway. Don't have personal experience with the 2004. There's a "Towing" forum here you can search. The five speed tranny on the '05-'06 is nice, having the extra gear.

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
I drove and towed with both a 2004 Tundra DC 4WD & a 2006 Tundra AC(same as 05). Like Gatorman said, I thought the the 04 towed nicer, it didn't seem like the tranny searched as much. I towed both models with OD off in hilly Vermont if it matters. Have fun shopping and enjoy your new truck whichever you go with. :tu:

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
Just my opinion but with the 04 you would have more options. you can get gears and things you can't for the 05-06
so far 05-06 are in a field by themselves, great trucks. Just no gears etc.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have a 2004 Double Cab. I tow my 21' North River boat with it all the time and have had no problems what so ever. I live on top of a hill so I always take it out of Over Drive. I have driven the 2005 Double Cab and thought that they were almost identical except for the tranny. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
ditto. i tow all the time with my 04. very few problems and lots of options. the info on rear diff ratio above is correct. 04s have the 4.10. if you need more oompf, you can add jba headers, gibson exhaust, mess around with tire size, chip it, heck, even supercharge it, etc.

overall, i'm very happy with the non vvti engine, but the 05s and 06s are good, too, from what i've read on this forum. i would say if money is an issue, go with the 04 and save a few grand. otherwise, look for a good deal on the 05-06 models.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
If you don't want to start adding mods to the truck, then go the 05. I love the 5 speed, and the VVTi engines is great.

But if you like to mod the truck, then the 04 will give better options.

Do you care about resale? the 05 with the VVTi and 5 speed with yield a better resale. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have an 05, and I have had zero towing problems with it myself. I haven't driven an 04, so I can't comment on the tranny searching. The only time I have noticed it was when I left it in OD but as soon as I take it out... things were fine. I regularly load up to the 11k capacity with my 20' Four Winns, passengers, gear, etc... and head from Riverside, CA to Lake Mojave in the dead of summer with no problems.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Canada Jeff,
what different mods can ya do on a 04 and what cant you do on 05 tundra?
thanks
More engine mods that actualy produce noticable hp. Or so I have read here. With the VVTi engines, very little options out there.

Oh, you can supercharge an 04, I havn't seen one for an 05 yet.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Huh? Buy a 2004 because you can mod it more? You don't need to mod a 2005 vvti motor. All the mods you do to the 2004 motor make it look like the vvti motor in the 2005.

Get the 2005.

Tom

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Exactly, thats why I asked him if he wanted to add mods. If not, go the 05 route.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
while generally true, i'm not exactly agreeing with you all on the finer points.

as far as i know, both the vvti and non-vvti have the same oem exhaust manifolds. they are not tuned or anything fancy, just straight tubes with exhaust ports each each cylinder like typical stock manifolds. going to headers on an 04 non-vvti motor removes a major restriction to produce more power as opposed to keeping the restrictive exhaust on the 05 vvti motor which makes more power by changing the valve timing. you can argue it's the same effect, but so far no one has develped a dyno-proven header design that works at all rpms with the vvti motor so you simply cannot tune it to run well at both low and high rpms by changing the exhaust. to me, adding the headers is the simplified, elegant way of solving the problem at all rpm levels as opposed to the more complicated vvti solution.

another finer point has to do with rear end ratios and towing. yes, you can do a lot with tire and wheel selection. i personally like the 4.10 gearing and would even consider going higher on my 04 DC. i'll probably do this with smaller tires this fall. for me and what i tow and the hilly conditions i drive in, this is a very good gearing for me. i don't know about the 3.90 gears in the newer trucks and how that works out with the 5 speed tranny and overdrive, but it seems intuitively that this is going the wrong way for towing - especially if you want to run larger tires. either way, it's possible to get higher gears for either truck. with the non-vvti, you are more likely to want to do this mod even with the more powerful engine, so you can get into the "sweet spot" for your towing conditions and load.

as far as major mods go, there are more for the non-vvti (supercharger, chips, header options, etc.) whether you need them or want to do them on a vvti or non-vvti is a personal choice. i think either engine, being a smaller block design with 32 valves is going to run better at higher rpms when towing a large or heavy load. if you want low end torque, you'll have to supercharge. that is the only option with the 4.7 and is only available for non-vvti motors. or, buy an 07 with the larger displacement engine.

one other last point on the two engines. the non-vvti is a proven design that has been out since 1996. the vvti engine has not shown any problems yet but has only been out for two years. the inherent additional complexity of the variable valve design has not been proven in this engine block over the long haul. only time will tell as owners go up and over the 100,000 and 200,000 miles marks in statistically significant numbers.

both are fine trucks and fine engines. i think it comes down to personal preference and needs and there aren't any significant advantages over either design for the average user unless you get into specific towning scenarios or terrain.

·
Registered
349 Posts
thoughs and opinions of how the different gearing and extra geer affect the change of putting 33" wheels on both years?

·
Registered
665 Posts
They truck s are going to act very similar...one has more gear but little less power. The other has the extra power with a little less gear, I don't think it is going to be much difference you will notice other than the transmission. Get the truck where you are get the best deal!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm very happy with my 04 DC 4X4 and it seems to pull very nice even in OD in the flat lands! It's nice to know there are options out there if i decide i need more power though!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts