Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how everyone is connecting their fifth wheel to their tundra. Did you buy an extension and run a cable over the tail gate to the extisiting connection below the bumper or is there a better way?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Just wondering how everyone is connecting their fifth wheel to their tundra. Did you buy an extension and run a cable over the tail gate to the extisiting connection below the bumper or is there a better way?

At first we just draped the cord over the tailgate, then noticed smudge marks on the paint so no more of that.
Then we removed the tailgate for a year or so.

Then, Tundrahank here on TS did this:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/towing/170262-reese-7-pin-harness-5th-wheel/

Oh, it's sure nice not worrying about removing the tailgate anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
I bought a 5er gate and just hook to conection under bumper. no more lifting or lowering the gate when hooking either. I was going to buy the harness and could not drill that big of a hole in the box of my truck. Kind of dumb with the 14 other holes I drilled.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I go over the tail gate.
I use a bungee cord to take the slack out of the cord.
So far I haven't noticed any rubbing on the paint.

Bill

·
Registered
208 Posts
I bought a 5er gate and just hook to conection under bumper. no more lifting or lowering the gate when hooking either. I was going to buy the harness and could not drill that big of a hole in the box of my truck. Kind of dumb with the 14 other holes I drilled.
Hey cwit.
Where did you get the gate?
I haven't seen them for the Tundra.

Bill

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I go over the tail gate.
I use a bungee cord to take the slack out of the cord.
So far I haven't noticed any rubbing on the paint.

Bill
Been there done that too. Bungie cords broke on us a couple times.

We do a lot of boondocking with our trailer's, & sometimes the bungy wouldn't keep the cord from rubbing the tailgate when turning sharp.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
I bought my 5er gate from customflow for 345.00 no shipping. I built a privicy panel for it and they come with a lock so you can hide everyting in the box of your truck when not towing. You will lose the easy open feature on your gate. This can be fixed also.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I bought my 5er gate from customflow for 345.00 no shipping. I built a privicy panel for it and they come with a lock so you can hide everyting in the box of your truck when not towing. You will lose the easy open feature on your gate. This can be fixed also.

Thanks Charlie.
I'm going to check that out.

Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts