Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some research and bought a 400 watt kicker amp and 800 watt kicker cvt subwoofer and all the wiring but am wondering if I will need anything extra to connect it to the stock non-jbl head unit before I start tearing everything apart. This is the first time I have done any stereo mods so I'm new to all this. Any advice would be great

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Just a word of advice... it is much better to just swap out the head unit. You'll notice a HUGE difference when you do that... you may want to consider doing the same with the speakers. Once you do that, you'll never go back!! It will become clear as day why after-market stereo components are much, much better than stock... PM me if you need any info for wiring/setup and I can guide you through it. I have replaced the head-unit, speakers, cabling and added a 5-channel TOL Kicker amp and SW. Good luck!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Just a word of advice... it is much better to just swap out the head unit. You'll notice a HUGE difference when you do that... you may want to consider doing the same with the speakers. Once you do that, you'll never go back!! It will become clear as day why after-market stereo components are much, much better than stock... PM me if you need any info for wiring/setup and I can guide you through it. I have replaced the head-unit, speakers, cabling and added a 5-channel TOL Kicker amp and SW. Good luck!

except the aftermarket head units dont match the interior.... and the adapters dont look the same as the rest of the shiny plastic.

·
Registered
246 Posts
except the aftermarket head units dont match the interior.... and the adapters dont look the same as the rest of the shiny plastic.
You're looking at the wrong adapters them. I have a piano finish bezel for my Alpine W407 in my '07 Tundra. Most people think it's stock.

That said, I have a friend using his OEM 2010 non-JBL HU to run amps and a sub and I was surprised by the sound. I expected it to be much worse. :)

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Mine matches pretty well... The Metra dash kit is an exact match for the glossy black and the face of my 2-din unit is the same. Only issue is the color of the LEDs. But point is that there are plenty of good alternatives that look stock or at least match the truck's interior. For me personally, I put function first. The Tundra's speakers were absolutely the worst I've seen on ANY vehicle and were the first thing to go. That was followed by dynamat pro, new wiring, a new head-unit, sub and amplifier (and for a while a capacitor that seemed to do more damage than not).

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
You're looking at the wrong adapters them. I have a piano finish bezel for my Alpine W407 in my '07 Tundra. Most people think it's stock.

That said, I have a friend using his OEM 2010 non-JBL HU to run amps and a sub and I was surprised by the sound. I expected it to be much worse. :)
The processors used to convert audio from your stock system to something that can be usable by an amplifier (in this case a simple bass-boost via getting a subwoofer attached) is often much more than just buying a new HU. Why pay $300 to $400 when a new HU can be had for less? You get more functionality (i.e. bluetooth, HD Radio, XM/Sirius, native iPod/MP3 support) and good connectivity -- some systems even provide 4v outputs instead of 2v outputs.

Unless the HU on your stock system is really good, I can't see what the benefit of keeping it is. That is just my $0.02. But everybody has different tastes, so this is just something I'm offering up as an alternative...

·
Registered
246 Posts
The processors used to convert audio from your stock system to something that can be usable by an amplifier (in this case a simple bass-boost via getting a subwoofer attached) is often much more than just buying a new HU. Why pay $300 to $400 when a new HU can be had for less? You get more functionality (i.e. bluetooth, HD Radio, XM/Sirius, native iPod/MP3 support) and good connectivity -- some systems even provide 4v outputs instead of 2v outputs.

Unless the HU on your stock system is really good, I can't see what the benefit of keeping it is. That is just my $0.02. But everybody has different tastes, so this is just something I'm offering up as an alternative...
I'm not trying to debate that an aftermarket HU is the way to go. Just saying that the OEM stereo with line-level converters sounded much better than expected.

This coming from a guy with an Alpine W407,nav,etc and getting ready to run some active 2-ways.

·
Registered
916 Posts
To the OP, if your amp does not have line in or speaker level inputs, you need what is called a line out convertor. That is what someone gave a picture of, but the generic term is line out convertor. It lets you splice into the speaker wire from the truck and gives you RCA outputs to run to the amp. If your amp has speaker level inputs, you can just splice the speaker wire and run it to the amp. Either way, it is not going to be as clean and clear as an after market head unit with dedicated subwoofer RCA outs.

Personally, I like all the features and the looks of the stock headunit. I like the controls on the steering wheel and did not want to give those up. I spliced into my speaker wire and ran my sub like I mentioned above.

·
Registered
422 Posts

a piano finish would not match my truck - it has slightly gold metal flake in the paint. the piano black kits I have seen are pure black and don't even match the earlier years OEM interiors that have the silver metal flake paint. I agree a new head unit sounds better - but I think new head units stick out like sore thumbs and that is worse in my opinion. especially at night when you have a rainbow of LED colors shining in your face. And I assume we're all talking about double din aftermarket units here- I'm sure we can all agree that a single DIN unit looks like absolute garbage no matter what adapter you try to use.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm not trying to debate that an aftermarket HU is the way to go. Just saying that the OEM stereo with line-level converters sounded much better than expected.

This coming from a guy with an Alpine W407,nav,etc and getting ready to run some active 2-ways.

agree with this - I've always changed my head units in previous cars - but changing the speakers and adding a sub via line out converted in the tundra is a huge improvement and plenty good in my book. I'm not entering any sound competitions any time soon and It sounds clear as a bell to my ears.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all the advice. I ended up just buying a line out converter for 20 bucks and having it installed professionally for $120. Adding the sub made it sound 100 times better even though the other speakers are stock. For me its just not worth dropping a couple thousand bucks for a complete new system. Even though the stock head unit is pretty weak, taking bass out of the other speakers improved it a ton. Wouldn't have done a single thing different

1 - 12 of 12 Posts