Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new here... Just a little about me. I am a car guy. Love to get a new car. Love all the gadgets and toys that new cars have to offer. I am 36 years old and have 3 boys ages 8, 5, and 3. Currently I lease 2 cars, a 2005 Trailblazer extended, and a SAAB 9-3 Linear. They are both leased. I have had Maxima's Jeeps etc.

I have decided that I am sick of leasing cars. You pay $400 a month for 3 or 4 years and have nothing to show for it.

So to replace the SAAB which is a nice car but too small when I have to put the boys in it, I decided I will get a family sedan.

I want to get more of luxery sedan. Eveything I am told is if you are planning on purchasing a car instead of leasing- Toyota is the way to go. Nissan is nice but nothing beats toyota.

My SAAAB is up in March but I decided to start to look now.

I stared looking at used Leuxs's. I love the luxery of the cars. Today I realized that for my budget which is about 20,000 to 24,000 I can get a newer nicer avalon over an lexus. The benefit seems that a 2005 avalon has more toys equiped in the car, like the client controled seats over the lex. So that is where i am now.

Now that you have a backround here are some questions I have.

I want a loaded car with nav.

I wll be looking at the limited and xls. What is the difference???

Is the 2005, 2006 and 2007 all basically the same car? What is the difference?

Do these loaded cars all have remote start and bluetooth? Or are those features only available in the 2007 cars?

I like the idea of the smart cruise control, I don't see many models with this. Which model comes with it.

Do all of these models come with the smart key and push button start?

Were there any flaws in the 2005 model which I understand is the first with this body style?

Thanks, I am sure I will have more q's

·
Registered
25 Posts
The avalon would be a good car for you. I have the touring model. The touring and limited both have HID lights. The limited has more gadgets. Touring has a slighter tighter suspension. I am sure you can get the bluetooth and remote start on any of the models. Push button start is only on the limited. I do not like the xls as it does not have HID lights. I am not sure on the cruise control.

As for nav, Toyota really sticks it to you on this car. If you heart is set on nav, I would recommend that you see what your upgrade options are without having the jbl stereo.

With your options list you might want to check out the lexus es 350 good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure what you mean by totota really sticks it to you on re the nav?
And what do you mean see what upgrade options without having the JBL stereo?

Is that Stereo bad?

·
Banned
8,335 Posts
Hi,

I am new here... Just a little about me. I am a car guy. Love to get a new car. Love all the gadgets and toys that new cars have to offer. I am 36 years old and have 3 boys ages 8, 5, and 3. Currently I lease 2 cars, a 2005 Trailblazer extended, and a SAAB 9-3 Linear. They are both leased. I have had Maxima's Jeeps etc.

I have decided that I am sick of leasing cars. You pay $400 a month for 3 or 4 years and have nothing to show for it.

So to replace the SAAB which is a nice car but too small when I have to put the boys in it, I decided I will get a family sedan.

I want to get more of luxery sedan. Eveything I am told is if you are planning on purchasing a car instead of leasing- Toyota is the way to go. Nissan is nice but nothing beats toyota.

My SAAAB is up in March but I decided to start to look now.

I stared looking at used Leuxs's. I love the luxery of the cars. Today I realized that for my budget which is about 20,000 to 24,000 I can get a newer nicer avalon over an lexus. The benefit seems that a 2005 avalon has more toys equiped in the car, like the client controled seats over the lex. So that is where i am now.

Now that you have a backround here are some questions I have.

I wll be looking at the limited and xls. What is the difference???

Is the 2005, 2006 and 2007 all basically the same car? What is the difference?

Do these loaded cars all have remote start and bluetooth? Or are those features only available in the 2007 cars?

I like the idea of the smart cruise control, I don't see many models with this. Which model comes with it.

Do all of these models come with the smart key and push button start?

Were there any flaws in the 2005 model which I understand is the first with this body style?

Thanks, I am sure I will have more q's

Avalon navi on the Limited flat out sucks on features hell My Tundra aftermarket Pioneer Z1 has more features going for it. I also agree Toyota packages these thing's and charges you more for some features you dont need.
Limited comes with the smart key and push button start....
XL = del edition
Xls is middle grade now
Limited has every possible option hid headlight's
Touring is smoother....

flaw's mainly cheap metel that dent's easy and some front wheel drive bushing problem's mainly Cv boot's on 05 first year bug's....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not sure what you mean by totota really sticks it to you on re the nav?
And what do you mean see what upgrade options without having the JBL stereo?

Is that Stereo bad?
I think toyota lists nav for about 4k on the avy. If you want to upgrade to a high end stereo get the factory one as there is no sense wasting cash on the JBL. Plus too much effort to switch out the digital JBL. My rec, if you want factory look and upgraded sound get the JBL. If you want more get the standard stereo and go to the aftermarket. The JBL may be standard on the Limited making my last couple of sentences a mute point.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have decided that I am sick of leasing cars. You pay $400 a month for 3 or 4 years and have nothing to show for it. Toyota is the way to go. Nissan is nice but nothing beats toyota.
Today I realized that for my budget which is about 20,000 to 24,000 I can get a newer nicer avalon over an lexus.
The Lexus and the Avalon are very similar cars. They are sister companies and lots of the parts are the same as in engine etc.
The Avalon is a great car in my opinion. Resell value is right up there with Honda's. The Avalon rides & handles great. Features are available if you really want to pay for them.
BUT it almost sounds like you want the Lexus. You can get most all the features you mentiond, but it will always say Toyota on the side vs Lexus.
For me this is better; for some they feel they need to prove something by riding around with that "L" on the back.
Toyota does have a nice navigation system IMO. I don't own a car this nice but I have rode in them.
I am into buying cars about 4 years old with 60K miles for $9000.
I keep it for 3 or 4 years and do some of the higher priced maintenance. So I end up paying about $175 a month to drive the vehicle.
Considering tag & insurance savings and you will be really pleased.

Leasing is good if you have a really nice paid car allowance and want new bells & whistles every 2 or 3 years. IF the object is to drive cheap, buy a used car that FOR SURE has had regular oil changes etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Eveything I am told is if you are planning on purchasing a car instead of leasing- Toyota is the way to go.
The benefit seems that a 2005 avalon has more toys equiped in the car, like the client controled seats over the lex. So that is where i am now.I am looking at the 2005, 2006 and 2007 all basically the same car? What is the difference?
Also, check out this thread. I just found it, and it may have some details that would help.
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/foru...73527-toyota-avalon-defines-modern-full-size/

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a '05 XLS and am very satisfied with it. Like other posters here I was not happy with the nav system when I first got it but have since become familiar with it after some long trips. I think the main problems are twofold: 1. The loopy logic in how to get from one feature to another. You have to read the manual (not well written) thoroughly and practice, practice, practice using it. I use a combination of the joystick and the voice commands. That works well for me. 2. As another poster said, Toyota is not in the navigation business, they're in the car business. A lot of aftermarket nav systems have more features at a better price because that's their primary business. Toyota puts in a navigation system that they condsider to be just one more option. They're not concerned with the "latest and greatest". I think you'll find this true no matter what brand of car you get (although everyone has their own favorites).
To get back to topic... If you look at the options/features of the different Avy models posted at the top of this forum you can find the answers to some of your questons. Looking at that post I can't see any discernable differences between the 05 and 07 models (generation 3 of the Avalon). Hope this lengthy reply helps.
G.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree with Old Coastie...I just purchased an 05 limited w/nav and have had it for less than a week. Already, after much studying and playing with the features, I'm comfortable and proficient with its operation...and that will only get better over time.

I have a Garmin 340CE in my Tundra and yes, it is by far much better than the Toyota Nav...but thats what Garmin does, it makes Nav systems.

Some people tried to discourage me from purchasing a Avalon because of Tranny problems and hesitation in the acceleration, but I have seen none of those problems. My car rides and drives like a dream and every option, including the Bluetooth works quite well. Its an all together great automobile.

Take your time and find the one you want...don't settle for any less.

Fitz

1 - 9 of 9 Posts