Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to this forum. I have never owned a Toyota of any kind, but after all my test drives and research, I am strongly considering a Tundra. Consumer Reports, from what I can tell, shows that 2010 and 2011 were the best years reliability-wise across the board for a 2WD.

I am considering 2 different ones:

A 2010 Platinum edition 5.7L 2WD CrewMax with 101K miles. It has everything - moonroof, running boards, hands free, voice command nav, 4 disc changer, heated leather, DVD players in the headrests, captains seats, etc. Carfax with clean title, no accidents, 1 owner in TX (I'm in CA). It is priced at $28k at a 2nd tier dealership, which seems cheap for how old it is with all those bells and whistles, but the mileage concerns me a little. I know Toyotas run a long time, but still. Also on this one, there seem to be some paint issues - blemishes on the hood, and one of the doors has a 8" scratch that's pretty deep. The tires also will probably need replacing within the next 2 years.

The other is a 2011 TRD 5.7L 2WD CrewMax with <24K miles. It is considerably less equipped than the Platinum above, but it has hands free, JBL sound, a power captain's seat, and bedliner. It is also still under the warranty it came with for another 14 months or 12K+ miles and I can upgrade the bumper to bumper to 5yr/60K for $1700 extra. It is priced at about $27,500 (before upgrading the warranty) at a Toyota dealership. It seems really clean, Carfax is same as the platinum above except for it originated in southern California and moved to the northern central valley under 1 owner. I wondered why the dealership didn't certify it, they said because it was still under warranty and they could pass the savings on to the customer... Wondering if that's legit or some BS tactic to get me to dismiss my questioning why it's not CPO. Did it fail some part of the 160 point inspection?

What is considered "high mileage" on the I-Force 5.7L and the associated drivetrain? Wondering if that engine or transmission is starting to get tired after so many miles. Is anyone encountering major issues of ANY kind on a Tundra with miles as high as the Platinum? Do either of those prices seem unreasonably high, or do they seem like a decent deal? Is there anything else I should look out for? Just kind of curious to hear from some Tundra owners out there. Thanks

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Seems to me like it comes down to what you want for options on your truck. If you want all those bells and whistles then go for a platinum, otherwise, just look at the 2011. I wont comment on price because they vary too much based on location etc.
100K is not a lot of miles so don't sweat that. Buying anything used you should replace all the fluids because you never know what the previous owner did. Every vehicle needs tires and brakes too. Good luck.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Go for the lower mileage, less expensive, newer vehicle. Buy an extended warranty if you like, for peace of mind.

Since the Toyota dealer would get paid by Toyota to do any warranty work on the vehicle, it is unlikely that they would be trying to 'hide' something from you.

What does the '10 have, that you want, that the '11 doesn't have? Most things can be added, unless it is something like an OEM moonroof.

I don't think the engine or trans are going to be getting tired, but other stuff may, bushings, mounts, suspension, etc.

Do a search of 'extended warranty'. You should be able to get a Toyota warranty for much less than you were quoted. But, by all means, IMHO, if you are getting an extended warranty, get a Toyota extended warranty. I have had bad experience with a third party warranty.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I would get the one with low miles and purchase an extended warranty. Repair costs on new vehicles can easily be in the thousands. A warranty will allow you to have peace of mind. I'd choose POM over bells and whistles any day!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Id keep hunting for a lower mileage platinum or limited if you want the bells and whistles- lots of small items that you cannot (or will cost a fortune) add on in the future- if you are into them.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
If it were me, I would go for the 2011 with low miles. All of the extra toys on the Platinum could get real expensive to fix down the road, and there is no warranty. Some of the extras that are on the Platinum can be added to the SR5 later if you want anyway. Things like the running boards, Nav, heated leather, and DVD headrests can all be added.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Buy the 100k mile Tundra. My 08 has 305k miles.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I would buy the second one with low miles.

I would want the scratch fixed and the price to come down on the first one before even considering it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I would definitely go with the newer one with less miles. Yes it has less equipment but there are a lot of things to factor in with the truck with more miles. EVERYTHING in that truck has over 100k miles of usage not just the mechanicals. All those nice gadgets have that many miles as well. And with no warranty to cover them, you might find yourself regretting that purchase. Save yourself a headache and get the one with fewer miles. If you like the new Tundras, go check them out too. I bet you could get into a new Tundra for that price range and with decent goodies. It's not always cheaper to buy used. Especially considering you get a full 3yr36k warranty when buying new included in any price you pay.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
832 Posts
Yeah, there is a big difference between 24K and 100K.

By the time you add in that the lower mile one has existing factory warranty (I wouldn't buy more warranty unless you are a person that worries), no scratch, and doesn't need shipping, you could probably add leather and Nav to it and be even on money.

24K miles is pretty low, that is almost new.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts